Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #71
CCW

Campgrounds

If just an overnight: location ease, pull-through, electrical, and a pool in the summer to unwind. For longer stays: quality site that allows the full use of coach. Paid enough for the coach and should use all aspects to their fullest (within reason).
CCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 11:36 PM   #72

Regarding campgrounds and if you haven't purchased a RV yet - I'll give you a great piece of advice like I provide a lot of people retiring outside of the US right now and that is *Rent Before You Buy* . If you are heading out on the road and investing maybe 100K$ or more on a motor home or as much or more in a house in another country, make sure you know what you are doing.

It seems basically crazy that most people spend the kind of money they do on a RV without knowing anything about it. And while retiring and locating out of the country, one can lose a fortune when selling in taxes and depreciation when the home doesn't work out, you can easily do the same when retiring into full-time RVing. In a RV, like any automobile, you lose a major percentage of your purchase price when you drive off the showroom floor. You're not financially safe with a used one either if you lose something major like an engine or tranny. Also once you start full timing, you'll likely give away all your hobbies and tools and clothes and a lifetime collection of toys for pennies at a yard sale and what will you do if you you've done this blindly and soon discover this lifestyle isn't for you? For those who brag "we sold everything and moved on the road" if it doesn't work out - then what are you going to do?

One of social media's many curses is that everyone, especially those RVing seems to be living the life of Riley where life's a bed of roses but just remember that no matter where you go, there you are. There's plenty of things to go wrong with the wrongly portrayed lavish lifestyle than can really hit you once the novelty of it wars off or you discover just how many other people are doing it each year. And with one half million new RVs hitting the road each year, low budgets closing national & state parks and BLM lands being sold off, the space for these things is just not expanding at the same rate, no will it every be able to catch up.

The wagons are circling and there are more and more wagons entering the circle. Jumping into the center may leave you all dressed up with RV payments and with nowhere to go. A lot of people are leaving the lifestyle because of this. I've been a RVer now for over 30 years, the last 3 of which I am a full timer and I see it first hand. So I say rent if you can by all means before burning your family's life savings on something you may be selling in a year or two.
Don A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:34 AM   #73

What do I look for in an RV Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaHuntress View Post
Hi folks, my husband and I are looking into buying our first RV! We would love to start traveling around Florida. What are the things you look for when choosing a RV park? There are so many to choose from. Just wondering if all of the "Amenities" that cost more are really worth it? Does anyone really use the big club houses or bath houses? What are the must haves that make the extra cost worth it?

I want a very clean bath house. I look for parks that are not resident parks. Ones that do not have permanent campers. I prefer parks that have a little space between sites and that have rules regarding pets. It is not fun to have a dog barking outside your campsite. Security on site is also very nice and preferable.
keg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:52 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Our pack, Lucy 17, Sweet Potato 4, Nola 2. All three travel great we just got home today from two weeks on the road.
Twohayhawks,
I had to take a double and triple look as your three hounds look just like mine. I will try and post a picture of ours.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #75

Proximity

Quote:
Hi folks, my husband and I are looking into buying our first RV! We would love to start traveling around Florida. What are the things you look for when choosing a RV park? There are so many to choose from. Just wondering if all of the "Amenities" that cost more are really worth it? Does anyone really use the big club houses or bath houses? What are the must haves that make the extra cost worth it?
#1 proximity to beach, must be less than 20 min. #2 nice pool. #3. Decent size lot. #4 fairly close to grocery stores.
Jjkkee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #76

Solo Rvers Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Winter months its usually crowded in parks. Try the smaller private rv campgrounds, state parks.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicaltimes View Post
We have 3 cocker Spaniels, Seems like a lot of places say only two dogs, ever have any problem with that? We just got our first Rv because of having the dogs.
That's the main reason we bought our TT, too. We have 2 Chihuahuas and the cost of kenneling them and the separation anxiety (on both sides) lead us to invest in the best of both worlds. Our own bed and the dogs can go with us. We've had it less than a year and we're already at 7,000 miles towed, 61 days camping and 9 states visited. We love it.
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #78

For those of us who camp where there are lots of trees, it's sometimes difficult to get in without scratching. Higher-end parks probably do a better job of trimming to allow tall rigs in, but many state and fed. parks don't.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don A. View Post
Regarding campgrounds and if you haven't purchased a RV yet - I'll give you a great piece of advice like I provide a lot of people retiring outside of the US right now and that is *Rent Before You Buy* . If you are heading out on the road and investing maybe 100K$ or more on a motor home or as much or more in a house in another country, make sure you know what you are doing.

It seems basically crazy that most people spend the kind of money they do on a RV without knowing anything about it. And while retiring and locating out of the country, one can lose a fortune when selling in taxes and depreciation when the home doesn't work out, you can easily do the same when retiring into full-time RVing. In a RV, like any automobile, you lose a major percentage of your purchase price when you drive off the showroom floor. You're not financially safe with a used one either if you lose something major like an engine or tranny. Also once you start full timing, you'll likely give away all your hobbies and tools and clothes and a lifetime collection of toys for pennies at a yard sale and what will you do if you you've done this blindly and soon discover this lifestyle isn't for you? For those who brag "we sold everything and moved on the road" if it doesn't work out - then what are you going to do?

One of social media's many curses is that everyone, especially those RVing seems to be living the life of Riley where life's a bed of roses but just remember that no matter where you go, there you are. There's plenty of things to go wrong with the wrongly portrayed lavish lifestyle than can really hit you once the novelty of it wars off or you discover just how many other people are doing it each year. And with one half million new RVs hitting the road each year, low budgets closing national & state parks and BLM lands being sold off, the space for these things is just not expanding at the same rate, no will it every be able to catch up.

The wagons are circling and there are more and more wagons entering the circle. Jumping into the center may leave you all dressed up with RV payments and with nowhere to go. A lot of people are leaving the lifestyle because of this. I've been a RVer now for over 30 years, the last 3 of which I am a full timer and I see it first hand. So I say rent if you can by all means before burning your family's life savings on something you may be selling in a year or two.

Well said. Don covered it pretty good.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicaltimes View Post
We have 3 cocker Spaniels, Seems like a lot of places say only two dogs, ever have any problem with that? We just got our first Rv because of having the dogs.

Too early to tell if three are going to be a problem. We just adopted Sweet Potato about 6 weeks ago. We moved on adopting her as our oldest is 17 & we feel it will devastate the other dog when she passes. Probably a dumb move as she is actually in pretty darn good health for a 17 year old. Shameless plug- they are all from Beagle & Basset Rescue of the Heartland. We were on the road for two weeks recently at a couple KOA's, couple private CG's, and a RV Resort (Portal in Moab UT) and no issues so far.

To AquaHuntress, sorry to keep hijacking your thread with dog chat
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:03 AM   #81

We look for sites which are easy to get into, because our camper is 37 feet long. Pull through is best, but back in is good and long as your neighbors aren't too close. We travel with dogs, so a CG which allows them is a must. A pet walk area, or off leash area is nice too. We look for CG which are clean and maintained. I don't like campgrounds with too many long term campers as their sites sometimes look junky with too much outdoor storage. That is usually not true of snowbirds, but I have seen it where the long term campers are workers.

We tend to usually camp at KOA sites, which are usually consistent in meeting my above mentioned needs. We always want 50 amp and full hookups. I usually shower in my RV and I have a washer so I don't want to fill up my gray water tanks quickly. Many state park or COE campgrounds are too tight and do not have full hook ups.

We are a bit different because my husband does not want to be out in the woods where all there is to do is hike or look at a lake. That bores him, so we look for more "in town" campgrounds where we can walk to attractions.

We just left a beautiful KOA in Starke, FL. It had the most space between camp sites that I have ever seen!

Have fun camping!
K9Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #82

I decide what amenities I want. For me the most important of those is 50 amp service. My wife needs her satellite TV so I ask about satellite friendly sites when making my reservation. I don't use the park's bathroom or laundry. I find reviews the best source. My favorite is Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks Here you can find information on site spacing, interior roads, level sites. I don't like to be in sites where my slides almost touch my neighbor's table. I get as much information by reading 4 or 5 reviews as I do from the park's website.
natgild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
Some places you must be 55 or older and no kids allowed. Some Others have age restrictions for your rig but don't care how old you are.
dieseldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #84

Quote:
Just depends on what you're doing. As you can probably tell everyone has different needs based on whether they are full timers or just weekenders or doing a couple weeks at a time and what type of RV you have.
My wife and i are full timers so the parks amenities are very important to us. We utilize the shower facilities on site for a couple of reasons. 1) if you use the shower in your RV and you're living in it you're way more likely to end up with moisture problems in your walls and leaks etc. 2) it allows us to use the shower area for storage. If you have a Class A or a fifth wheel #2 isn't near as important. There's many more things that go into your personal decision process such as size of RV slots vs size of your RV, do you want to be off the grid, do you have health issues, do you have kids, do you have pets, do want to be able to fish, hike or be close too city stuff.
The one we are currently at has an indoor pool which is good for my wife and as we have health issues so we can get a low impact work out, for example.
Hope this helps
Pdconroy is offline   Reply With Quote