Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

What not to miss in Colorado??

Hello Everyone, In our planning stages for the big Wild Wild West trip next summer! We are heading into Colorado after the Tetons about the first week of September. Any places that we should not miss, you know bucket list stuff? Coming from Florida starting in June and this is the big trip in the new RV, a diesel pusher which we got just to do the BIG mountains. We have about 3 weeks to fill until we have to be in the Florida Panhandle at the end of September.

Really like wide open spaces and not much on cities, prefer the woods and water. Thanks for your replies!
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench View Post
Hello Everyone, In our

planning stages for the big Wild Wild West trip next summer! We are

heading into Colorado after the Tetons about the

first week of September.

Any places that we should not miss, you know

bucket list stuff? Coming

from Florida starting in June and this is the

big trip in the new RV, a diesel pusher which we got just to do the

BIG mountains. We have about

3 weeks to fill until we have to be in the Florida Panhandle at the

end of September.

Really

like wide open spaces and

not much on cities,

prefer the woods
and water.

Thanks for your replies!
If you want to see this - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - Golden Aspen - you need to be there for the last 10 days of September, maybe even a few days in October.

IMHO this is the BUCKET LIST NUMBER ONE for Colorado.

You will find them (Aspen) at every Pass in all the Mountains - Aspens, they are Colorado!

Do you need a list;

Dinosaur NM on the Green River

Rifle Falls and Rifle State Park

Monument of Colorado

Telluride/Trout Lake/Dunton/Cortez

Durango/Silverton/Ouray/4X4 trails/Alpine Loop/Lake City

Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Gunnison/Crested Butte

Salida/Buena Vista/Collegiates/Twin Lakes/Rt 82/Maroon Bells/Leadville/Turquoise Lake/Quincy's

Camp Hale/Red Cliff/ Minturn/Vail

Breck to Kremmling/Grand Lake/RMNP/Trail Ridge/Boulder/Peak to Peak/Golden/RT 6/Coors

We left out Steamboat and all the State Parks,

Hoping you do not need to be back to Florida till the end of October.

You have a lot to see and do - and we have only Scratched the Surface.

Are we on the right track?

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BIG Mountains

If I had to pick just one must-see in Colorado I would recommend the Ouray, Telluride, Silverton area. The mountains there are called the Swiss Alps of the Rockies for good reason.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Don't forget to visit Colorado Springs. See the Garden of the Gods, the Air Force Academy ( and chapel) , Manitou Springs, Pike's Peak, ( via the cog railway ), and if time allows, the gold rush town of Cripple Creek.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

Hey Wench- we'll be right behind you - We are going to Maine then heading to Colorado sometime in September before we go to Albuquerque for the balloon fest. Let us know what you liked. BTW- we are just up the road from Cortez
Old 06-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #6

If you're into old railroads the Durango &Silverton Railroad is fun.

We went out last year and stayed in Loveland and took Trailridge Road over to Grand Lake and back. Beautiful drive.

Mesa Verde National Park is quite interesting, and the drive up from Durango is beautiful.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Bobb.25 on Colorado Springs. I would like to add the Rocky Mountain National Forest. Beautiful drive. Be sure to go to Estes Park too.
Kchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
Don't forget to visit Colorado Springs. See the Garden of the Gods, the Air Force Academy ( and chapel) , Manitou Springs, Pike's Peak, ( via the cog railway ), and if time allows, the gold rush town of Cripple Creek.
If you are interested in Olympic Sports, the U.S. Olympic Training Center is located in Colorado Springs. Very interesting tour and your tour guide is usually one of the athletes training there.

And a very strong 2nd of the recommendation to see Garden of the Gods. Beautiful park. I especially like driving through it in the mornings when it is cooler and softer morning light. There is also a fairly new RV park built on the side of Cheyenne Mountain. Really great views of the city. There is a wonderful zoo located on Cheyenne Mountain.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
If you're into old railroads the Durango &Silverton Railroad is fun.

We went out last year and stayed in Loveland and took Trailridge Road over to Grand Lake and back. Beautiful drive.

Mesa Verde National Park is quite interesting, and the drive up from Durango is beautiful.
I agree on the Durango & Silverton. You can take the train from Durango to Silverton and back in one day or you can take the bus over and the train back or vice versa. I recommend doing the bus/train combo; doesn't matter which one you take in which direction. There is one RV park at the edge of Durango where the train actually comes through the park. You can't get on or off there, but you can watch it pass by from pretty close up.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
All good suggestions and hard to do all in your time allotment. I would concentrate in one or two areas and save the rest for next time. Also remember it I not unheard of to see snow in some of the mountain areas at that time of year

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:23 AM   #11

What a wealth of fabulous information! Grateful for your time!
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #12

Don't "miss" a turn when in the mountains! Seriously though, Red Mountain Pass between Silverton and Ouray is a beautiful drive ( though steep, curved, and a noticeable absence of guard rails). Ouray was so impressive (back in the 80's), my family insisted that we 're-route back through on our return trip home! IMHO, you can't hardly go wrong anywhere there are mountain roads, passes, and canyons.

Enjoy your trip, and......Happy Trails memtb
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #13

You have gotten some good advice so far. During our third trip to CO this last summer, we hooked up with some experienced jeepers at our campground south of Montrose, rented a jeep in Ouray, and headed up into the high country and it was a blast even though we stayed on the more conservative routes. More info and pics here - Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Day 27 – Jeeping In The San Juan’s
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #14

I like the Westcliffe, CO area. It is in the Sangre De Cristo mountains and the town has everything you need with beautiful scenery and great trout fishing, hiking, etc. I had a cabin in Rosita outside of town for 8 years and love the area. No big city crowds and a couple of RV parks. Things to do are the outdoors just a beautiful area. It is south of Canon City and west of Pueblo.
Kengreenofca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado