Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Where is Best Quiet RV park for 4th of July

My wife and I have a noise phobic border collie. We have to set him up in kennel here in Huntington Beach, CA every 4th of July due to the illegal fireworks that are going off in ALL of Orange County the last few years.
If it were just a little fear the dog has where a bit of comforting by my wife and I would solve the issue, I would not be asking for help. This dog is a rescue, so we had no time while he was young to condition him for these loud (booming) sounds.
It's a condition that can only be described like the human condition known as PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder).
With all this said, we are looking for some help to find a quiet location to take a family trip with our dog the weekend of July 4th (7-1-16 through 7-5-16). A place that has ZERO illegal fireworks going off.
We are located in Orange County, CA...so we are looking for anywhere in SoCAl, Arizona or even Southern Nevada. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help
Bobby G.
Bobby808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #2

Have you tried a Thunder Coat? We have relatives with the same issue and their Thunder Coat works.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check with state parks in those states. I'm pretty sure that at least, AZ parks do not allow fireworks.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Thank you- yes we actually have 2 of them. They help bring down the anxiety a notch or two, but being that he has 3 herding breeds in his DNA, acute hearing is natural for him. With that acute hearing, comes physical pain in the ears with the loud, sudden noises. We have tried all the desensitizing methods we know of, including setting up a puppy-den/safe place, turning on loud music/tv/fan, using interior rooms to kennel him- all to no avail. We have tried vet prescribed meds in varying doses to no avail. The last couple of years we have kenneled him with the vet, but we'd prefer to have him with us, especially since our neighborhood sounds like a war zone from June 28th through July 5th-our neighborhood law enforcement does not respond to the multiple phone calls regarding illegal areal displays.
Bobby808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby808 View Post
My wife and I have a noise phobic border collie. We have to set him up in kennel here in Huntington Beach, CA every 4th of July due to the illegal fireworks that are going off in ALL of Orange County the last few years.
Bobby, I feel your pain, but frankly I'm not sure there's any place in the US. Many RV parks say fireworks are forbidden, but how strictly do they enforce this? After all, it's pretty much THE national holiday.

It's a hike, but I guess you could always try Canada for that week, if it's an option.

Roger
Old 03-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #6

I would think that the smaller desert parks would work. But it could be hotter than hatties. Check out the park at Oasis, CA by the Salton Sea just off hwy 89 (or is it 86?). I can't imagine any fireworks going off there. They are about 20 miles south of Indio. They might be listed under Thermal, CA. They are in a Citrus grove, oranges and grapfruit.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #7

Stay at a forest service campground or RV park around June Lake on CA Hwy 395. Beautiful area, cool and fireworks restricted or not allowed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
2 other things you might try to help although with the severity of your collie's stress, it'll taker the thunder coat +... Bach's Rescue Remedy... been giving it to my border collie, helps some, she still comes running during thunder and gunshots, but is not frantic, she even withstood vacuuming and gunshots going at the same time today (no safe haven). The other thing which I am going to try as an add on is called D.A. P. stands for Dog Appeasing Pheromone... the smell gives them the comfort they had when they were babies nursing their mama. I have a diffuser and used it once when I had a foster that didn't get along with other dogs, seemed to help the situation, although she took my collie down twice before I started using it. You can get the Bach's rescue remedy at Whole foods, there is a version for pets, and the DAP I bought online. Better than the tranquilizers they use from the vet if they work for your pooch. No hangover. Pooch still won't have a fun time, but won't tear up your Camper so bad...trying to get 'safe'. Good to have on hand, because it only takes 1 jerk breaking the rules to ruin it for your dog.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Baja California

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #10

We always go to the National Parks on July 4th. They do not allow fireworks. Surprisingly they are very easy to get into because so many people want to be somewhere with fireworks. Our dogs don't like them either.

For example you could go to the Grand Canyon.

or some place in CA:
http://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/news/r...onal-parks.htm
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #11

our dog is also terrified of fireworks. last year on the 4th we stayed just outside of great basin national park baker, nevada.there was not a firecracker all week
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote