RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Where to camp? Any Tips? 160 South Fork to Grand Canyon

Thanks for tuning in here!

Any great ideas on ways to break this up into 3 days trip? Two nice spots along the way? Google says it's 6 hours and 43 minutes of driving. I figure 8 at least.

Is there a don't miss that we shouldn't miss?

Traveling in a 40ft pusher. Boondocking is great. Love National/State/etc Parks, Happy to stay at a great RV park.

Thanks for your help!
KimoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #2

What/where is 160 South Fork?
I know what Grand Canyon is.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

Pagosa Springs, Wolf Creek Run (Class As only) easily a day or two; hit the springs in town

Durango, we did day trips from Mancos / Mesa Verde; we did not do the train up to Silverton (many would say make the train trip a priority)

Mesa Verde NP, Mesa Verde RV Resort is across from the park; at least 2 if not 3 days if you plan to see the entire park and take the 3 guided tours, the park is an odd layout and a lot of time driving in the park to see things. Mesa Verde NP is one of those places you remember seeing pictures of the cliff houses in History books in school, and thinking you'd never see them; I thought it was fascinating. You do need to have a reasonable level of agility, and be able to deal with climbing and heights. I'd make this the "priority" stop along the way, and maybe do a day trip or a late afternoon trip over to Durango.

Monument Valley, Gouldngs RV Park; plan a day to drive through the park

All places we just hit in July / Aug............
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
What/where is 160 South Fork?
I know what Grand Canyon is.
Hey there winterbagol! 160 is the highway that runs from where I am, South Fork, CO and takes you almost up to the south entrance to the Grand Canyon which you are familiar with.

I'm looking for places to stay and things to do along the route.

Take Care
Old 09-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

A couple notes on Mesa Verde NP. First, check out the web site, as it contains a lot important info.

You will need some reasonable level of agility to tour the cliff houses, and for Balcony House in particular crawl through a short narrow passage, and then deal with some (serious) heights when exiting the dwelling (more to the heights than they let on to be, says someone that does not like heights .....).

Driving in the park is not very "large" RV friendly and trailers are not allowed past the entrance other than to get into the campground (they do have a place to leave a trailer at the entrance). And you can not take an RV out to Weatherhill Mesa where the Long House is located.

As far as the Durango - Siverton train, it had just started running again after the 416 fire had been bright under control when we were there. Not sure how scenic the ride would be, given the damage from the fire along the route (which there was a lot of speculation that the train had ignited, not sure what the final answer was on that). We did Siverton from Ouray via Animas Forks......
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJames View Post
Thanks for tuning in here!

Any great ideas on ways to break this up into 3 days trip? Two nice spots along the way? Google says it's 6 hours and 43 minutes of driving. I figure 8 at least.

Is there a don't miss that we shouldn't miss?

Traveling in a 40ft pusher. Boondocking is great. Love National/State/etc Parks, Happy to stay at a great RV park.

Thanks for your help!
While I can read a Map - I have a hard time passing up so many Easy Targets along the Way - So pick and Choose what works for you - https://binged.it/2CfxzKG

Just the easy ones or just the really good one - Not Easy at All.

Best o f Luck,

Edit - North Rim for me and Canyon de Chelly are hard to miss, so much to see and Never enough TIME
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
While I can read a Map - I have a hard time passing up so many Easy Targets along the Way - So pick and Choose what works for you - https://binged.it/2CfxzKG

Just the easy ones or just the really good one - Not Easy at All.

Best o f Luck,

Edit - North Rim for me and Canyon de Chelly are hard to miss, so much to see and Never enough TIME
LOL, thanks Busskipper!

Great ideas. I have the co-pilot investigating as we type. Were your top favorites?

Thanks,

James
Old 09-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJames View Post
LOL, thanks Busskipper!

Great ideas. I have the co-pilot investigating as we type. Were your top favorites?

Thanks,

James
James,

You are sitting Pretty close to Heaven Right now!

The San Juan's are hard to beat - 4x4 trails that are second to None - Beautiful little Towns and 14er's at every turn - Hot Springs and Waterfalls also dot the Landscape, So being Honest - I'd hang around in the Southwest Corner of Colorado till the Snow sticks - Late October - November - Those rocks look even more Beautiful when the Uniform of the Day is Whites. -

So do you love water then Follow the Rivers and see the Lakes - Navajo Lake - Trout Lake - Colorado River - Arkansas River - Lake Powell.

The Artifacts of the early Native American Culture - Mesa Verde - Chaco Canyon - Canyon de Chelly...

The peace and Quiet of the North Rim - Page - and the Slot Canyons - ..........

Grand Canyon is still a little too crowded for me - but usually has a quiet period on both sides of Thanksgiving.

Glad I was able to add some clarity to your thought process - - .

So much to see and Never enough TIME.

Best of luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
James,

You are sitting Pretty close to Heaven Right now!

The San Juan's are hard to beat - 4x4 trails that are second to None - Beautiful little Towns and 14er's at every turn - Hot Springs and Waterfalls also dot the Landscape, So being Honest - I'd hang around in the Southwest Corner of Colorado till the Snow sticks - Late October - November - Those rocks look even more Beautiful when the Uniform of the Day is Whites. -

So do you love water then Follow the Rivers and see the Lakes - Navajo Lake - Trout Lake - Colorado River - Arkansas River - Lake Powell.

The Artifacts of the early Native American Culture - Mesa Verde - Chaco Canyon - Canyon de Chelly...

The peace and Quiet of the North Rim - Page - and the Slot Canyons - ..........

Grand Canyon is still a little too crowded for me - but usually has a quiet period on both sides of Thanksgiving.

Glad I was able to add some clarity to your thought process - - .

So much to see and Never enough TIME.

Best of luck,

I know I'm right where I should be! I'm about 2 miles from a cabin my Grandpa owned in the NF. Pagosa yesterday for some stinky water. Wolf was amazing.

If I was a single man, I'd probably stay right here!

Sounds like you might have been in the service ( I as well), if so then thank you for your service! We will be tucked neatly into FL well before November. Got my fill of snow early on in the land of no doorknobs. Looks like GC is as far as we will roam on this one.

My first emaill address was SEEH2O@....... so yes I gravitate toward water. :thumb

Thanks again Busskipper. I always enjoy and appreciate your advice when I see it which is often!