RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #15

95 going south is very scenic but so is 12 up over Lolo Pass. There’s some great NF campgrounds along the Lochsa river. We stayed at one last year I believe it was Gateway Wilderness or something like that. At the junction of 93 is Travelers Rest, an old Lewis and Clark stop. You can go south from there to Salmon Idaho which has things to see and do. Then you can continue south to Stanley or Ketchum or whatever. I’ve always found good boondock areas in Idaho and lots of free sanidumps.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 11:01 PM   #16

The Steens Mountains and the Alvord Desert in south Eastern Oregon

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	218682Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	218684
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #17

We left Clarkston this morning. Before leaving we looked at the map, focusing on Hwy 95 south. Got lucky and googled places around Riggins Idaho, we found a interesting park. I called and talked to Bob he and his wife have had this property on the Salmon River since 1960. It’s one of the most beautiful rv parks we’ve ever been in. Bob is the nicest man you could ever want to meet. The stories he told me about the history here with his family will amaze you. Oh and its a full hook up park, maybe 20 sites? And it’s honer system payment. You pay when you leave, no host just put your envelope in the box when you leave. I will be coming back. It’s called Riverside RV Park in Riggins Idaho, google it. Bob gave us a lot of advice on things to do around here. Tomorrow we’re going to a creek Bob told us about for finding Garnets. Here’s a picture from our door looking at the salmon river. Another interesting thing Bobs dad is living on the property, he’s a 93 year young WWII vet that landed on Iwo Jima Bob says the average life span of a vet that landed on that beach was 38 Seconds. Within minutes of setting up and just before we were going to make a sandwich, Bob brought us fresh tomatoes from his dads garden.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	665.6 KB
ID:	218773  
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #18

You certainly found a winner. Enjoy!!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You certainly found a winner. Enjoy!!
Thanks we are. And thanks for your helpful advice. I read a lot of your posts you’re very helpful.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #20

Well we left Riggins Last Saturday morning. Great area and we will be going back. If your ever there ask Bob how to get to the place on The Little Salmon river for Garnet hunting. We had a few people mention it. I asked Bob how to get there. He looked at his watch and said I have 1 hour and 6 minutes until I have to pick up my grandson and take him on a fishing trip, follow me and I'll show you. I said no we don't want to put you out. He wouldn't change his mind. So we followed him about 10 or 12 miles up the Little Salmon river. We stopped and he showed us the trail down to a bunch of rocks. He started picking up little Garnets. He said if you search hard enough you can find them the size of your finger tip. So he left and we went to work. Found plenty of them, the biggest was about 1/2" but I kept digging under a few huge rocks. I found a lot of 3 to 4" rocks with Garnets inside, very beautiful and exciting. So when we left Riggins we didn't have a destination. We drove south on 95, we kept seeing lots of boondocking spots along HWY 95 right next to the river. We probably only drove about 40 to 50 miles when we saw a spot that was to good to pass up. We boondocked on the river for 2 nights. From there we decided to start making our way home, my wife's ribs were hurting so much from her fall and it didn't seem to be getting any better. So Monday morning we drove a long way. We stopped for the night at Burn's RV park in Burns Oregon. Let's just say I would never stay there again. I've never met such rude RV park owners in my life. We woke up and drove down HWY 395 to Susanville Ca.We went up to Eagle lake got a nice spot. Next morning it got down to the mid 30's. I found out I had a problem with my Diesel truck. It wouldn't start until 2 that afternoon. I tried plugging in my block heater and it didn't work. So yesterday morning at 5:30 A.M I put my Mr. Buddy heater under my oil pan. I went through two propane bottles, The truck finally started at 11:00 A.M. We hooked up and got home last night at 6 P.M.
I want to thank you all for your help and advice. We weren't able to visit all of the places but they are on our list for another trip.