Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

Where to go in eastern CA

Hi I am leaving Mojave desert after two years living in my fifth wheel I am new to towing it. I am looking for suggestions on routes, camping and such - thinking about going up 395? I haven't a specific destination. Leaving at the end of November Any suggestions tips etc are very welcomed!
stormmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormmolly View Post
Hi I am leaving Mojave desert after two years living in my fifth wheel I am new to towing it. I am looking for suggestions on routes, camping and such - thinking about going up 395? I haven't a specific destination. Leaving at the end of November Any suggestions tips etc are very welcomed!
I love Hwy 395, and the Eastern Sierra. Unfortunately, if you are planning on going North, you'll find that weather can become a problem this time of year. A couple of passes off of Hwy 395 have already closed due to snow.

As for camping, depends on what you're looking for. In Lone Pine there's a great campground called Boulder Creek. They have full hookups and some other nice amenities. If you're looking for boondocking, the Alabama Hills are in the same area and camping is free.

Further north in the town of Bishop there are also a couple of options. Brown's Town is on the southern edge of town and has some nice trees and partial hookups. On the north side of town is Highlands RV Park, all paved and full hookups.

Going any further north of Bishop and you start to climb towards Mammoth Lakes, and this is where you can get into trouble with weather if you're not prepared for it. The Elevation varies from 6,000 feet to 8,000 feet along 395 until you get into Neveda and drop into the Carson Valley.
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #3

Unless you are equipped for way below freezing temps going north of Bishop from Nov on won't work out too well for you. As mentioned the elevation goes real high and the temps go real low. The Lone Pine and Bishop references are real good if you want to stay in that area. The elevation is around 4000'.

From Bishop to the Canadian border will be cold and/or snowy.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
North of Lone Pine on 395 when it is deep snow I think it is 6 that I have veered off on and it stays at a lower elevatuon. You can meet up with 95North but I think it is 120 that I have then used to then continue going north on. That leads to Fallon in Nevada but at least you can usually miss the deep snow.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote