Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #1

Where to stay in Houston Area

Heading to Houston on mid October, never been there, needing advise on where to stay fir a week. We like staying in town or close, we like country bars and dancing ,and want to catch some sites.
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #2

Drive an hour down to Galveston. There are 7 rv parks according to google.
It's on the Gulf, lots to see and do, great eating if you like seafood, nice people.
I haven't been there in a while but I am going back soon.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:52 PM   #3

This depends on what part of Houston you plan to be in, be aware the greater Houston area spans nearly a hundred miles of continuous cityscape east to west and nearly as much north to south these days, from the Trinity River bridge on the east side all the way out to Katy, maybe even Sealy now as it has been a few years since I have been on that stretch of I-10 west of Katy (we tend to bypass Houston to the north side when heading west) and from Webster/Alvin on the south side all the way up to Conroe on the north.

Having said that I would also tend to suggest considering one of the Galveston RV parks as a general base, just be aware I-45 can be packed on the weekends with people heading back and forth to Galveston, this is particularly bad around the I-45 / I-610 interchange on the southside.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are planning on staying on the north side of Houston, I recommend Rayford Crossing in Spring, TX. Very nice large park just off of I45 a couple of miles. We've stayed there a number of times while visiting family.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be aware that Rayford used to have a rigid 10 years rule with no exceptions even though some of the newer rigs in there looked like garbage.

You really need to tell us what area of Houston you want to be in as one above said, the Metro Houston area is between 80 and 100 miles across. Also, the closer to town you are, the more $$$ you will spend. There have been a number of high dollar resorts built in the past couple of years.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:41 PM   #6

Also be aware Houston is not as much of a party town as most other Texas cities, Houston, particularly the east side is far more of an industrial city, ie people from Houston go to Austin or San Antonio for weekend outings.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:57 AM   #7

There is a chain of RV Parks owned by Quality RV Parks scattered around all sides of Houston. Another chain is USA RV Parks - not sure if they are connected with Quality RV Parks. We have stayed at 4 of them in the past 5 years. They are all well kept, concrete drives and spaces and they are layed out around a lake in the middle of the park.

My son, DIL and grandson live in the Clear Lake/ League City area and we have stayed at several parks in that area. The one we like is Jetstream RV Park. It is the closest to their house.

Space Center RV Park was fine when we had a smaller rig - but not with our current unit. Marina Bay in Kemah was also nice - but too far from the kid's house.
MikenDebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #8

Ok you changed our minds, Galveston area here we come, now which RV PARK IS BEST? Let me add that it doesnt have to be in Galveston, we have never been in the area so any place even on the main land would be a treat! For us. We like to drink cold beer listen to music and take on a few sites, maybe get in a boat ect. We are in our 60s
Old 08-08-2022, 10:54 AM   #9

When we made our first visit to California several years ago we stopped in the Houston area for a week. We were attending a tennis tournament located in the southern part of the city. We chose Lakeview RV resort, part of the Quality chain. We are heading out again in the spring and we plan to stay at one of the RV parks near the Johnson Space Center.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #10

We stayed at Sandpiper RV resort on Seawall Blvd at Stewart beach in December, this is located on the site of the old Sandpiper motel which was a popular beachfront motel in the 1960-70's (I remember staying there with my parents). It is a nice semi-gated small 40 site RV resort at the end of the main strip, nice place large sites, some pull throughs with clubhouse pool, etc. Only bad point is the the local kids like to use Seawall Blvd for drag racing around midnight on the weekends, and there is a helicopter tour operation next door.

It is not exactly walking distance to most of the popular beachfront shops, dining options, etc. but is certainly within bicycle distance if you carry bicycles with your, also there is a bicycle rental shop that is perhaps a 5-8 minute walk away.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #11

4 yrs ago we stayed at - what is now called KOA Galveston Island. It was nice but it was too far away from everything. Jamaica Beach RV looked very nice, but it is too far from town in our opinion. We did a LOT driving back and forth to restaurants, shopping, antique stores etc. We decided next time we go we will stay closer to the action/ downtown at Stella Mare or Dellanera. Both looked good to us.
MikenDebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Austin View Post
4 yrs ago we stayed at - what is now called KOA Galveston Island. It was nice but it was too far away from everything. Jamaica Beach RV looked very nice, but it is too far from town in our opinion. We did a LOT driving back and forth to restaurants, shopping, antique stores etc. We decided next time we go we will stay closer to the action/ downtown at Stella Mare or Dellanera. Both looked good to us.
We just returned from KOA Galveston Island yesterday. It was good for us. We'll probably go back some time. We were just there to enjoy a break but I know what you mean. It's probably not a great choice if you want to do sightseeing. If you have a motorhome without a toad then make sure you bring enough food and drinking water. I think I saw at least one pizza place delivering to the campground.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:37 PM   #13

Quickuc, if you change your mind on Galveston:

We've been staying on and off with family for about two years in Kingwood which is in the northeast, on the edge of the city of Houston but of course the metro area goes out much further.

I think there are some reasonably nice places out in the New Caney area which is a bit further out but still easy to get into the city on I-69 / US-59.

Livingston is not much further and that's the home of Escapees. I think Escapees have a campground there.

There are also several campgrounds closer to where I am at a place called Porter. Other than those resort places someone mentioned, as you get closer into the city they're more like parking spots with hookups than anything else. I think they have a lot of permanent residents or people just wanting to be close to Houston for work or medical treatment or whatever.

As an aside, there's a big new RV park being built in Kingwood which is a bit controversial https://www.change.org/p/stop-laurel...-and-community Some of that is NIMBY kind of thing but its location does seem a little problematic where you have to drive through multiple residential streets to get to it. If I believe the change.org petition, the developer does seem a little dubious.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:45 AM   #14

Well thanks to everyone for the advice, now I have some thinking to do. Just getting over radiation and hope Im fully back by October to go. Felling better every day. Looking forward to a well deserved trip, we live in Colorado, kinda funny its beautiful here and we want to go there..go figure. Must be and RV thing... Whole summer has been on hold , didnt see this coming, talk about a curve ball, oh well my heads on straight and im pressing on.