Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 12:54 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Close your eyes and pretend you’re parked in your driveway lol.
Most (I mean all) CG’s don’t like you pulling in at midnight and heading out at 5am.
We are in before 5 and never leave before 8. Just how we roll. Most days, we are in before 4. I like to set up in daylight, get grill ready, have a frosty beverage while cooking chow.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 02:15 AM   #16

Add Home Depot, Lowes, shopping centers, churches, and any large parking lot that seems safe. No slides out or grills and lawn chairs. Never a problem in six years. Slides out on a curb side is usually ok as they are mostly unseen.
We Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:53 AM   #17

I apologize. I am the OP and my travels will be taking me from the south-central part of PA (Harrisburg area) to the Texas coast using I81-I40-I59-I10. Thanks for all your suggestions. Keep them coming!!
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:19 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I know I’m probably a marginal case here, but as I’m still working, time to travel is limited. Usually leave after work and drive for 6-8 hours stopping at camp wally, rest area, or (last choice) truck stops. I keep my slides in, and often never step foot outside except for a walk around before pulling out. Since I’m pulling in somewhere between midnight and 2 am, I don’t want to disturb others in campgrounds. Usually pull out and back on the road between 6 or 7am. Truck stops are the last choice because of the rather limited skills and concern of some drivers around other’s vehicles. Been traveling like this for 30 years. Was always nice driving at night with kids asleep and no “arewethereyet” question every 10 minutes……

Someday I might slow down and mosey from campsite to campsite when time is less precious.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
I know I’m probably a marginal case here, but as I’m still working, time to travel is limited. Usually leave after work and drive for 6-8 hours stopping at camp wally, rest area, or (last choice) truck stops. I keep my slides in, and often never step foot outside except for a walk around before pulling out. Since I’m pulling in somewhere between midnight and 2 am, I don’t want to disturb others in campgrounds. Usually pull out and back on the road between 6 or 7am. Truck stops are the last choice because of the rather limited skills and concern of some drivers around other’s vehicles. Been traveling like this for 30 years. Was always nice driving at night with kids asleep and no “arewethereyet” question every 10 minutes……

Someday I might slow down and mosey from campsite to campsite when time is less precious.

Exactly. You are not alone. Stop, let the airbags down, fire up the generator (if it’s not already running) and go to sleep, no wasted time. Do a walk around in the morning.

I have a funny story about the time I forgot to air down before hitting the sack. Second time ever overnighting in a parking lot. The suspension makes some weird noises as it settles.
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
I apologize. I am the OP and my travels will be taking me from the south-central part of PA (Harrisburg area) to the Texas coast using I81-I40-I59-I10. Thanks for all your suggestions. Keep them coming!!
Since you are doing all Interstates the link below may help. We stayed at a rest stop once (circumstances dictated our overnight) and had no issues. We pulled in around 6PM (nearly dark) and left around 6AM. We were only about 250 miles from home but we had already driven over 500 miles and were ready to stop. No slides, no outside activities (except to walk dogs), ran generator for a little bit, parked on an end out of the congested area, and on our way. Rest stop had dump so we did use that on our way out.

https://www.interstaterestareas.com/map-of-rest-areas/
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #21

Simple with Walmart - call - ask - This is the Corporate policy -

“While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able.

Nothing about slide outs or other Personal preferences - Safe and many of us have been doing it for Years.

IMHO it is the best and easiest Option.

Best of luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #22

Double
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
Before you head out you better check on the opening of I-40 in Memphis. it was closed because of the damage to the I-40 bridge crossing the Mississippi River.
Not sure how long it will be shut down.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Before you head out you better check on the opening of I-40 in Memphis. it was closed because of the damage to the I-40 bridge crossing the Mississippi River.
Not sure how long it will be shut down.
I59 will take him to I10 just north of New Orleans, he will cross the Mississippi near Baton Rouge LA on I10.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Not sure why you can't pony up max 80 bucks for over nighters and find truckers to be rude at " truck stops". You could actually sneak into some Gander or Cabellas. But if you are on a mad dash......hit a restt stop for four or five hours and get back on the road. Good luck.

When on a mission to get somewhere, we do the rest stop breaks. 4 to 5 hours of shut eye, then back on the road. It’s not my favorite way to travel, but it beats paying $50 to a campground for an <10 hr stay.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
It’s never about the money it’s about the time and hassle of getting in and out of an RV park when you have a lot of miles to go and a short time to get there. Some of us still work full time and are weekend warriors.
Rob we were in your shoes 11 yrs ago with our dash from NY to Yellowstone , did it in 2 1/2 days we found some mom and pop no frills places to stay along I-80 they were cheap first come first serve , but they served the purpose 1 of them had a little restaurant and we ate there it was good and the people were very nice , we have never stayed in a truck stop or Walmart even now that we are fulltimers , all I want is a level lot and hookups so I don't have to unhook and in the morning it's start and go , it can be a challenge at times and a lot research is needed and even with that we have had a few parks that were terrible
Old 07-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #27

Check out truck stops again, some have separate parking areas for motor homes.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Been traveling like this for 30 years. Was always nice driving at night with kids asleep and no “arewethereyet” question every 10 minutes……
And less traffic, and less glare, and fewer crowds at gas pumps, and cooler, and fewer cops, and . . .

Love night travel. But it changes finding a rest spot when your driving day is ending at 5am.

Restaurants and sports stores are no longer a possibility, but wayside rests and truck stops empty out. Very peaceful time to sleep.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote