Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #57

if on the turnpike, many of them have rv spots with water and electric
ohio does on I80
foneguy493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #58

I drive dusk to dawn. Less traffic. Less people in little cars, said kindly. Then during the day I can pretty much go to and retail store with a big lot and park. No slides out. No chairs. I usually buy stuff there besides. Never an issue. To them I'm just a retail customer and frankly I can easily move every 4 hours. Pretty easy and safe and off the public street. ��
Old 07-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
I am currently planning a 1500 mile trek in my DP. I am planning on 3 days to do it. This leaves me staying 2 nights somewhere. What are some safe and easy alternatives to stay somewhere just to sleep and streatch our legs? I have stayed in Walmarts multiple times but there are usually "shady" characters lurking. My 40' coach won't fit at Cracker Barrels. Truckers are rude and disrespectful to us RV'ers at truck stops. I don't really want to pay an RV park when I won't be hooking up to anything. What do you do?
A safe place is where there is police checks. We stayed in middle of a Doctor’s parking lot with no slides out and no stabilizers down. After we left there was no evidence we stayed there for 7 hours. Thieves like crowded areas or dark areas to perform in.
J79Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #60

Are you trying to talk to the truckers? Don't. Shove right in and find your spot, and sleep. Don't worry about them, because they're not worried about you. If you're wanting to make friends, pay for the campground.
19RWUL2912BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #61

Quick Overnighters

I have been traveling around for over 20 years. We are on our 4th DP. 20 years ago I was always in a hurry traveling with kids A to B cause I needed to get back to work. I would drive 600 to 900 miles a day/night sometimes. The best places when you are driving just to get from A to B are Walmarts. Download the Allstays app, and look for Walmarts right off the highway. i never knew for sure how long I would drive at night so very hard to plan where to stop before hand. Once I felt I had about an hour of driving left in me, I would have the wife check the app for Walmarts. Read the comments about the ones we wanted to stop at. Before leaving I would Check the satellite view of several Walmarts on the map 100 miles apart of ones that I figured I might stop at. Find the beat way in and the beat way out and look for overhead poles and such. Midnight to 2am in the morning is not the time to figure out how to get in a Walmart parking lot with a 45ft motorhome towing a Chevy Avalanche. As far as Cracker barrel we would have to disconnect to park there. Bass Pro Shops and Cabbalas are closed by the time we figure out where we are staying. Although we have called a few to get permission just in case we stop. If they(Bass Pro or Cabbalas) are in a shopping mall area that the mall owns they have alway s told us the mall owners do not allow overnight parking. After 20 years we know which Walmarts are friendly and close to the highway… and level. That's what has worked for us anyway when I was driving hard. Now, just me and the wife, I travel a litle more leisurely.
Dugcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #62

Jayco Owners Club
Another opinion

We use rest areas as our primary choice. With that, I admit that we pull in late and leave early. So as I am pulling in, I scan the truck parking and if it is congested I park in the area designated for cars. So far there always been plenty of room. I park way on the end. I feel that the truck spots should be available to the long haul drivers who really need the break. Walmarts are second on the list. When we drive cross-country, we stop at a campground every third night for dumping, water, and showers. 32 foot class A, motorhoming for 30 years +.
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #63

Consider joining Harvest Hosts. Stay free at hundreds of small businesses/golf courses.
You must be self contained and be pleasant.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #64

check out Harvest Host and Boondockers

https://harvesthosts.com/

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
Lcfontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #65

Look into "harvest host" It's an RV friendly farm/winery community that allow you to stay on their land free.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by foneguy493 View Post
if on the turnpike, many of them have rv spots with water and electric
ohio does on I80
It's too bad other states do not adopt this. I think they charged $20 for an overnight with electric. Water was available in a central location, but not on individual parking sites.
They then make some money inside when you eat a quick dinner or breakfast.

When we traveled form PA to FLA, we found some nice campgrounds that had 'reserved' pullthroughs for overnighters. Easy in and out.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:52 PM   #67

1500 miles in 3 days is insane & unsafe!!
Old 07-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
It's too bad other states do not adopt this. I think they charged $20 for an overnight with electric. Water was available in a central location, but not on individual parking sites.
They then make some money inside when you eat a quick dinner or breakfast.

When we traveled form PA to FLA, we found some nice campgrounds that had 'reserved' pullthroughs for overnighters. Easy in and out.
Yep we stayed in the Ohio I80 twice and since they are not situated where the traffic is close by we experienced a quiet evening. We also belong to Harvest Hosts, great alternative to RV parks.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
I've never had any issues with Walmart lots...seem to be a sure thing most of the time. Truck stops are a different story. Most of the Love's seem to be back-in only spaces which is ruled out if you're pulling a toad or trailer. I stayed at one Love's in Williams, AZ where I was on an end spot and able to turn the wheels enough to pull out going forward. The problem I had there was (as everyone should know) the truckers never turn their engines off. The carbon monoxide detector went off a couple of times while there. Nice to know it worked!
Old 07-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #70

As a solo female RVer of a certain age, I get it. You like what you like.
I use Campendium, RV Camping, The Dyrt to find small town municipal parks, rest stop and boondock locations. This works well if you have a side kick who can research while you drive. Awkward when you are driving and researching at the same time (also frowned upon by local authorities and other drivers). I'm a Harvest Host member and am happy with them but I don't know that a late stop and early roll fits their ideal camper profile.
As others have said, I've had no problem with Walmarts (I've never tried truck stops like Loves and the like) but I get that it's not for everyone.
Good luck, safe travels and keep the rubber side down.