Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 07:27 PM   #99

I was also going to suggest Boondockers Welcome. Website and I think also an app. Not everywhere but it is growing. In fact I’m thinking we might join to offer a spot for folks passing thru when we’re at home! I think the point of their program is exactly what you are wanting to do. People passing thru from A to B wanting an unassuming, safe place to crash for the night without worry.
DGP-Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #100

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
I am currently planning a 1500 mile trek in my DP. I am planning on 3 days to do it. This leaves me staying 2 nights somewhere. What are some safe and easy alternatives to stay somewhere just to sleep and streatch our legs? I have stayed in Walmarts multiple times but there are usually "shady" characters lurking. My 40' coach won't fit at Cracker Barrels. Truckers are rude and disrespectful to us RV'ers at truck stops. I don't really want to pay an RV park when I won't be hooking up to anything. What do you do?
We have stayed at Lowe's, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond if that is of any help. My husband always goes inside and talks to the manager to make sure that they are alright with the idea and know that we will only be staying 1 night. Hope that this helps, have a good trip and be safe!!
Red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:03 PM   #101

Home Depot

We have had good luck stopping at Home Depot lots. Check in with store manager - some will even let you park ‘out back’ near the delivery entrance. Always nice and quiet there but even side lots or out front calm down after closing.
GeoKayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #102

Check out faithfulparking.com. You can overnight at participating churches.
Firstfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #103

Lowe's hardware stores have been good to me in these situations...

maybe one more option?

missionrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
1500 miles in 3 days is insane & unsafe!!
It's a 10 hour drive each day and my preference these days would be to limit my drives to 8 hrs, but I understand that there are only so may hours between quitting time on Friday and "at work 30" on Monday. Some folks need to make tracks...

Is it unsafe? I doesn't have to be. Insane? Perhaps, let me ask the other voices...
Old 07-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR2595 View Post
We too use RVParky and have had great success. It reflects all of your options, campgrounds, RV Parks, Walmarts and truck stops. Most with reviews so you have an idea of what to expect. Best Wishes and safe travels.
Maybe it's because I'm simple minded but I see no need for anything else. RVParky seems to have it all. We usually make our plans for the evening while we're taking our lunch break. Works for us....so far!
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by foneguy493 View Post
if on the turnpike, many of them have rv spots with water and electric
ohio does on I80
The ones on the Ohio TP (80) are very nice. Some even have electrical hookups for like $20 per night. Dump stations too.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #107

So far with or DP we spend the nite at rest areas. Easy in, easy out. I too don't want to drive around looking for a place to stay, especially after dark.... Just hope you don't have a refrigerated truck stop beside ya. Used to do Cracker Barrels with our 5er.. So far so good..
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #108

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo159 View Post
500 mi a day on Interstate Hwy is not that much in a big MH, even for a 74 yr old like me. Don't understand why people are so quick to set limits for others. Ride your own horse, I'll take care of mine.
Okay, but can we ALL agree that 500 miles a day on a horse would be insane?
Old 07-29-2021, 10:14 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
I am currently planning a 1500 mile trek in my DP. I am planning on 3 days to do it. This leaves me staying 2 nights somewhere. What are some safe and easy alternatives to stay somewhere just to sleep and streatch our legs? I have stayed in Walmarts multiple times but there are usually "shady" characters lurking. My 40' coach won't fit at Cracker Barrels. Truckers are rude and disrespectful to us RV'ers at truck stops. I don't really want to pay an RV park when I won't be hooking up to anything. What do you do?
I've stayed in hundreds of Walmarts, have yet to have any shady issues. My 41 footer fits in every Cracker Barrel I've gone in. I've not had issues with any truckers but if I was a jackass I probably would.
Contender730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #110

500 miles is too much.... especially for a 74 yr old.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:48 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
500 miles is too much.... especially for a 74 yr old.
Reminds me of a couple of life's quotes....

...It's not the age it's the miles and I got lots of miles...

....Nothing wrong with getting old...it beats the alternative
Old 07-30-2021, 06:38 AM   #112

I have a 42' DP. You just have to find the right Cracker Barrels...I always call ahead and one time there were cars parked in the RV spots (subject for another blog).

I just pulled along the back edge of the parking lot, went in and grabbed some chicken and dumplings and let them know. No problem. I even had room to open up one side of slides and run generator without disturbing anyone.
SnowNCycle is offline   Reply With Quote