Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #15

I think what "scrapperjohn" meant when he said:

"West of the Mississippi we don't have parkways"

is, "there aren't many ....".

I live in Canada so I'm not familiar with a lot of the USA but (until last winter) we travelled to Arizona every year, and I remember seeing "parkway" in parts of Utah.

Here's a few.

Legacy Parkway (designated as State Route 67, SR-67) is an 11.5-mile-long (18.5 km) four-lane controlled-access parkway located almost completely within Davis County in the northern part of the U.S. state of Utah.

State Route 151 (SR-151), sometimes known as the South Jordan Parkway, is a state highway in the U.S. state of Utah connecting SR-154 (Bangerter Highway) in South Jordan to Interstate 15 (I-15) in Sandy. The route spans 4.24 miles (6.82 km) in southern Salt Lake County.

The Adams Avenue Parkway is a 1.6-mile-long (2.6 km)[1] road that is almost entirely within Washington Terrace, Utah
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #16

Towed trailer in every state west of the Mississippi & have never seen a parkway.
Guess I try to avoid interstates as much as I can.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #17

It does not apply here, but I stumbled on a California (CalTrans) page that shows a map of roads where motorhomes >40' are prohibited. Also shows roads where MHs up to 45' are allowed.

https://dot.ca.gov/programs/traffic-...rhomes/bus-map
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #18

Ldubs: I hope the GPS map people, like Garmin, have that info in their database!
Old 05-28-2021, 05:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
Towed trailer in every state west of the Mississippi & have never seen a parkway.
Guess I try to avoid interstates as much as I can.

We have them out here but I think it is used as just another street type, like Drive, Circle, Way, Lane, etc. No special meaning that I know of. There is a residential street in a subdivision near me that uses "parkway" after the street name. No idea why.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #20

Along the same thread, what about roads that say :No Trucks.

Can a large trailer go?
Class C?
Class A?

I see that sign on tons of roads, and driving in a car, I see no reason a truck wouldn’t navigate them...

So, whose excluded?

Who does it apply to?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Lloyd View Post
Ldubs: I hope the GPS map people, like Garmin, have that info in their database!
Good point. I wonder if the GPS apps include that info. The northern CA coast along Hwy 1 is one of my favorite places and is also one that is listed as over 40' not allowed. Yet is seems like I see large MH's in the campgrounds. Of course, I never measure so they are probably all under 40'.

I was coming home from Gualala on hwy 1 a few weeks ago. There was a long MH pulling a jeep that was having a pretty tough time on the hairpins. He was a good 18" over the line when I passed him going the other way. Truth be told, I think he was just unprepared and got caught driving too fast. I hope he made it wherever hew was going OK.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #22

Regarding my statement here:

"Ldubs: I hope the GPS map people, like Garmin, have that info in their database!"

I did a test on both my RV760 and BaseCamp, setting the length of my unit to 49'.
Then I created a route that included a portion on the CA map that was shown as "prohibited". Both should have routed me around that portion, but they didn't. They happily took me right along that red dashed line.

Sooo,
I called Garmin support and reported the problem. I gave him the URL to the CA website, plus my trip data, including rig specs and the exact road I used, although I suspect that none of that CA data has been included in Garmin data. He assured me he would pass the info along to their "mapping people".

On a side note, and as I mentioned in another thread, the Garmin "City Navigator North America NT" map data version is still "stuck" at 2021.1 for RVs, while "regular" data is up to at least 2022.1 last time I checked. He apologized for the delay and said they're still working to get some data into a new version. Perhaps this CA data will be part of it.

O LLOYD

Tags
trailer