Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Member
 
Bobo_Wickersham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Mooresville NC
Posts: 71
Who can plan a trip for us?

I have a Newmar Dutchstar and want to take a two week trip out west from NC next summer. We have two kids who will be 8 and 6 when we take the trip.

Here is the deal; I'm pretty busy and just feel like hiring someone to plan the trip for us. like the old school travel agent. Hit some national parks, stop through towns that have cool stuff for the kids to do, which campgrounds we need to visit, etc...

is there a company that can do all of this heavy lifting if i just tell them what i'm trying to do and they make all the reservations, etc? If so, could someone please send me the contact info.

thanks in advance.
Bobo_Wickersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Oldmso54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 257
You could take a look at "Fantasy RV Tours". They have full packages - reservations, meals, sights, etc. etc.

https://www.fantasyrvtours.com/
__________________
Shawn, Susan (& Maya in spirit)
2016 Thor Miramar 34.1
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (the "Mango Tango")
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
davendeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,046
Many RV clubs have trip planning features. I know good Sam does. I believe that Route 66, AAA, and National motor club also does it. Some insurance companies offer it on there apps if you have their coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo_Wickersham View Post
I have a Newmar Dutchstar and want to take a two week trip out west from NC next summer. We have two kids who will be 8 and 6 when we take the trip.

Here is the deal; I'm pretty busy and just feel like hiring someone to plan the trip for us. like the old school travel agent. Hit some national parks, stop through towns that have cool stuff for the kids to do, which campgrounds we need to visit, etc...

is there a company that can do all of this heavy lifting if i just tell them what i'm trying to do and they make all the reservations, etc? If so, could someone please send me the contact info.

thanks in advance.
__________________
2008 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Airlift 5000 Airbags
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Signature Untralight Diamond Package
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 674
Two weeks from NC, you aren't going to see much. Either you'll be driving 10 or 12 hours a day, it is 2100 miles to the Utah Grand tour area. That means 4 days driving out, 4 days back. And 6 days left to look at parks. The first day you will be exhausted.


Fly out to Las Vegas, rent an RV or join a tour group. Leave the RV home until you have more time. Or do Great Smoky Mountains, Mammoth Cave and Shenandoah. Or go up to Acadia or down to Everglades if it is in the cool months. Rocky Mountains NP and Great Sand Dunes are workable in two weeks.


Or pay someone to drive your RV out and fly out and meet it. You seem to be well heeled.


Let me warn you weather is everything going out into mountain country. Winter can set in early in those passes.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Isaac-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 7,616
I agree unless you have multiple drivers who can drive in shifts, you are not likely to get very far west on a 2 week trip and still have much time to see stuff.


A quick google search says the nearest of the western National Parks to you is Rocky Mountain national park at 1,630 miles. Both Yellowstone and Grand Canyon are so close to 2,000 miles each way that the difference is trivial. Assuming even pushing it at 500 miles per day (the most I have ever driven in a single day in my coach, though I prefer to average 300-350 even out west), you are looking at 8 of your 14 days spent on the road, just to get there, traveling 10+ hours per day. Most of us find it is hard to average more than about 50 mph when traveling by RV even on interstate highways with 75 mph speed limits, this includes fuel stops, meal stops, as well as time to set up and break camp each day.


p.s. correction Badlands National Park in SD is the closest at about 1,560 miles, not that it is a big difference.
__________________
2002 Safari Trek 2830 on P32 Chassis with 8.1L w/ 400 watts solar 420Ah LiFePo4
2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland & 2007 Toyota Yaris TOADs with Even Brake,
Demco Commander tow bar and Blue Ox / Roadmaster base plates
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 685
First of all, I wouldn't want to take a trip someone else had planned.


We are currently planning a month long trip next April from the California Coast to the Mississippi River and back, so I have a little insight on this.


By my count, there are 9 months/39 weeks from now until June 1st. If you spent just 10 minutes a day 3 days a week working on this, that would be 19.5 hours of figuring it out.


Get the kids involved. What are their interests? Are they on the Internet? They can help look for places to go, and then be more excited about getting there.


(Old fart mode engaged) When I was about their ages, back in the dark ages, we looked up sights to see and wrote letters asking for info and the mail was like Christmas when the brochures and maps started arriving. I know it's different now, but still.... Uh, it's a "teaching opportunity"...



Get some AAA maps and tour books, look up stuff on the internet. Make is a family project. Put a map on the wall and figure out a rout. With 9 months to plan, it should be fun.


And then, they can learn to read maps and help navigate.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunstar 31KE
1988 Itasca Suncruiser 31RQ
1968 Travco 21'
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 17,485
I agree that a two-week trip to the western national parks from North Carolina would be too much driving and not enough down time for fun.

I would suggest a Midwest trip. Go up to Niagara Falls then head to the west coast of Michigan - dune buggies around Pentwater, beaches, Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore at Honor, MI - nice motorhome resorts in this area - canoe the gentle Platte River down to Lake Michigan, play in the dunes; go to Petosky then Mackinaw City - take the ferry for a day trip to Mackinac Island - rent bikes & tour the island; cross the Mighty Mac bridge into the Upper Peninsula of MI; Sault Ste. Marie to watch the big ships come through the locks; head west to Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore - boat cruise on Lake Superior, Copper Harbor area is pretty with a lighthouse; then head to Wisconsin - Door County fun, Baraboo and Wisconsin Dells. Stay at some Jellystone or KOA parks for kids' activities - you won't fit your 43' MH in the state parks - then head home. If you take I-55 out of Wisconsin to St. Louis you could work in the Arch at St. Louis.
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
Member
 
Bobo_Wickersham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Mooresville NC
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I agree that a two-week trip to the western national parks from North Carolina would be too much driving and not enough down time for fun.

I would suggest a Midwest trip. Go up to Niagara Falls then head to the west coast of Michigan - dune buggies around Pentwater, beaches, Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore at Honor, MI - nice motorhome resorts in this area - canoe the gentle Platte River down to Lake Michigan, play in the dunes; go to Petosky then Mackinaw City - take the ferry for a day trip to Mackinac Island - rent bikes & tour the island; cross the Mighty Mac bridge into the Upper Peninsula of MI; Sault Ste. Marie to watch the big ships come through the locks; head west to Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore - boat cruise on Lake Superior, Copper Harbor area is pretty with a lighthouse; then head to Wisconsin - Door County fun, Baraboo and Wisconsin Dells. Stay at some Jellystone or KOA parks for kids' activities - you won't fit your 43' MH in the state parks - then head home. If you take I-55 out of Wisconsin to St. Louis you could work in the Arch at St. Louis.

This is a perfect example of what Iím looking for. I will print this to use as a template. Thanks a ton
__________________
2016 Newmar Dutchstar
4313 Bunkhouse
Bobo_Wickersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo_Wickersham View Post
I have a Newmar Dutchstar and want to take a two week trip out west from NC next summer.
We have two kids who will be 8 and 6 when we take the trip.

Here is the deal; I'm pretty busy and just feel like hiring someone to plan the trip for us.

like the old school travel agent.

Hit some national parks, stop through towns that have cool stuff for the kids to do, which campgrounds we need to visit, etc...

is there a company that can do all of this heavy lifting if i just tell them what i'm trying to do and they make all the reservations, etc?

If so, could someone please send me the contact info.

thanks in advance.
------

First question is, have you explored the Local Area - Great Mountains and Beaches that are close? --- ---

I think that might just be more advantages for you and the Family (KIDS) - At your kids age nothing will ever beat the Beach IMHO.---

OK now that I've do the correct thing and given you the Correct Advice I can address the real Question.

Are there companies that do it all - not really - but with a little more input from you most of this can be planned the BIGGEST ISSUE IS TIME

Mileage out to the Rockies/Southwest is significant and takes real time to get there - there are a few things you can do to alleviate the issue - one is to leave on Friday after work to get a Jump on the long milage - the Coach has a Generator so a Walmart stop is not out of the Question that first night or two so you can make some miles. We did this often when the Kids were Young and it still would take Three and a Half Days to get to Golden, Colorado.

IMHO there is not much to see in the Fly-over-States - so let's just drive long and hard to get there, but the LONG is LONG and the HARD is HARD---

Seeing that you just got the Coach I doubt that you have any really Long drives yet? So that might just be an Issue as to get out and back will likely take you every bit of 7 days - almost 2000 miles to Moab.---

With a 300 mile jump start on the first night that will still leave 1700 miles -1,700/3 = 567 miles/day which will average out to less than 50 mph in an RV with Kids and Stops. -- not really Fun. - Let's say we make the first stop in Colorado - what are you looking to do first?

Next BIG Question is it Possible to get the Third Week???? - if you could this really might be doable, and actually be fun and Memorable!---23 days will be so much better than 16.

Another big thing is to give us a little direction on what you THINK the Family might Enjoy?

Water and Rocks will likely should likely be the Focus for the Kids - in all honesty they just want to Play.

Reading for you -

20 summers of RV road trip travels across the USA and Canada | Lolo's Extreme Cross Country RV Trips

https://pbase.com/sparker1/aspen

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...pging/1/page/1

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/weste...lp-368172.html

Hope all this helps, if so let us know - we can help - BUT - to avoid a disaster you need to be a big part of the Plan.
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 1,419
Forget taking the RV. Fly out and rent a car, stay in hotels. FWIW, 3 weeks is the minimum time frame I use when doing a big cross country. 8-10 days are taken up just getting there and back.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
BillJinOR's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,098
Who can plan a trip for us?

Easterners I have found , sometimes donít realize how vast the west is. Itís not just a few hours itís days of travel . Having only 2weeks would be a driving nightmare to see the western parks let alone just one or two parks. I think Iíd just plan one park and the planning would be simple enough and not a nightmare trip and you could do that yourself
You do present a interesting idea for a business model. Iím not sure how you would market it. There are trip planners that just do routing , but not booking etc. interesting possibility.
__________________
2023 Coachmen Encore 325SS
2002 Ford Escape toad
2020 GMC terrain
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
retnasaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Golden Valley, AZ
Posts: 180
From experience, as others have said, two weeks is NOT long enough to do what you want. You want to relax and not spend all your time driving. Suggest you find some destinations NO more than +/_500 miles from your home and enjoy the time camping and not driving.
Happy camping.
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Forget taking the RV. Fly out and rent a car, stay in hotels. FWIW, 3 weeks is the minimum time frame I use when doing a big cross country. 8-10 days are taken up just getting there and back.
Absolutely the most reasonable
Recommendations for the O.P.

We have traveled from Indiana and Ohio
To the Rocky mountains since the sixties.

Planning the trip should never be considered
( Heavy lifting. )

These trips should be an Enjoyable adventure for the parents and the children.

Following a strict agenda can cause tensions
And ruin the trip for All.

You will want to leave some areas early.
And stay several days more at others.

We would usually make a trip to Oklahoma, kansas and the Rocky mountains in May after the 4 children were out of school.

A Christmas Holiday vacation trip to a
Snow Ski Area in New Mexico or Colorado.

Then a Spring break trip in March to ?
Ski in New Mexico or. Wherever.

We love the Southwest and I have brothers and sisters in Colorado and New Mexico.

I woul recommend an exploratory trip the first few times and see how far you get.

Think Ashville, Pigeon Forge, Knoxville, Nashville, Saint Louis, Kansas City then West on 70 to Colorado.

Enjoy and learn to appreciate the local flavor every day .

Every evening in a Campground can be a wonderful experience and the opportunity to meet new friends.

Regardless, Relax, Enjoy. Dont overplan.

Or as suggested.
Fly to your destination and enjoy your time .
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #14
Member
 
Bobo_Wickersham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Mooresville NC
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Absolutely the most reasonable
Recommendations for the O.P.

We have traveled from Indiana and Ohio
To the Rocky mountains since the sixties.

Planning the trip should never be considered
( Heavy lifting. )

These trips should be an Enjoyable adventure for the parents and the children.

Following a strict agenda can cause tensions
And ruin the trip for All.

You will want to leave some areas early.
And stay several days more at others.

We would usually make a trip to Oklahoma, kansas and the Rocky mountains in May after the 4 children were out of school.

A Christmas Holiday vacation trip to a
Snow Ski Area in New Mexico or Colorado.

Then a Spring break trip in March to ?
Ski in New Mexico or. Wherever.

We love the Southwest and I have brothers and sisters in Colorado and New Mexico.

I woul recommend an exploratory trip the first few times and see how far you get.

Think Ashville, Pigeon Forge, Knoxville, Nashville, Saint Louis, Kansas City then West on 70 to Colorado.

Enjoy and learn to appreciate the local flavor every day .

Every evening in a Campground can be a wonderful experience and the opportunity to meet new friends.

Regardless, Relax, Enjoy. Dont overplan.

Or as suggested.
Fly to your destination and enjoy your time .
Thanks everyone. We purchased the coach in Sioux Falls, SD, flew out and drove back. Had a few 8 hour days in the saddle. Wasn't bad as long as we took our time.

Appreciate all of the comments. We will take them into consideration.
Bobo_Wickersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Plan or Not to Plan 7mtn iRV2.com General Discussion 21 04-27-2016 09:48 AM
Can we go yet, Can we go yet, Can we go yet, Can we go yet, Can we go yet mothgrey Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 11-18-2013 05:51 PM
To plan or not to plan wadders MH-General Discussions & Problems 15 07-05-2013 08:04 PM
Plan or no plan when you travel? CampDaven iRV2.com General Discussion 51 03-20-2013 08:54 PM
Dealer plan or Good Sam service plan? Roll Forest River Owners Forum 13 07-27-2011 11:12 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.