Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2023, 03:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Who Still just goes, then figures it out

Who here still packs up the RV, dogs, etc. goes to a stop they have planned and then just picks a direction and goes and finds RV parking, things to do, etc along the way as they go.
We used to do this back in the day, is this still a thing these days?

I sure hope so as we are heading to NO this morning, have an appointment on Tuesday morning and then we are heading NW, pretty sure we are going NW, anyways this will be about a 8-10 day trip with not a single plan after NO.

Hope we do not get to far of the beaten Path.... Have you done something along these lines in recent years, how did it work out for you?
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2023, 04:26 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always been our mode of travel. The kids used to say "dad, where are we going?" I'd say "home. We'll be there in two weeks"!
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:41 AM   #3

Some make plans on exactly what campground they will stay at months in advance.

That's not for me...
Old 06-05-2023, 04:41 AM   #4

Doing it since 1986, not intending to change anything.
Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:24 AM   #5

We start out the trip with a general idea in mind of which direction to go in, and then go day by day. We have been fortunate to run into friendly folks who will comment on a really cool thing to see. Like the time we were informed of a scheduled buffalo roundup in so and so town, or the fish count in such and such river. Events that were very memorable.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:30 AM   #6

we did that in the early days of our 35-seasons RV adventure. one time, we were sitting in the packed MH with the engine running and flipped a coin to decide east or west (west won). no reservations beyond calling ahead after lunch. one time in south Florids we broke camp, headed down the road, saw a place offering airboat rides through the glades and ended up spending the day there. at the end of the day we returned to the same state park campground to we had left earlier that day. free and easy down the road we go! as we aged we made more frequent reservations. it's just the nature of the beast.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:34 AM   #7

I snowbird in FL and pre-plan that stay, but the 2 to 3 weeks going and coming are always figured out on the fly.

There are obscure Federal CGs all along our wandering route and not to busy in spring and fall.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:30 AM   #8

We plan 1-2 days in advance at the most
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:58 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We plan a trip in general with a few specific sites and dates, generally to meet friends or to attend rallies. Everything in between (80-90% of the time) is free form. Then again, we have mostly seen the big bucket lists sites already, so we don’t have to compete with the hordes needing to camp in a national park. We also generally stay in the west with more wide open spaces for boondocking and dispersed camping. We do call ahead to campgrounds the day we intend to arrive, if we are staying in a private CG, but that’s about it.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:58 AM   #10

I like planning and researching. Got enough plans for 200-300 years of RV travel.

But my wife would say, the only thing about my plans that are set is getting to the campground gate - the one we are leaving.

Been known to take a different road, based on a highway sign about an attraction, a lunch time, or fuel stop, conservation with another RVer, etc.

We often have a must be here on this date deals. Often family.

And once I have everything perfectly planned, reserved, deposits paid, the Lord seems to decide to remind me that I'm not in charge.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:31 AM   #11

Let's see. On the trip right now. Starting point, late April, was Maryland Eastern Shore. Destination point, Homer, Alaska, sometime in July. Return MD, end of October.

Have a few points to be & times to be there but the rest is fly by the seat of the pants.

Edmonton, Alberta for a few days at the moment. The halfway point between MD & Homer.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
We plan 1-2 days in advance at the most
This is what we do, unfortunately those pesky 3 day weekends rear their ugly heads.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:42 AM   #13

Always, never have planned
Old 06-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #14

We travel secondary/backroads and hit up small town USA and local CGs
WE point the front of the truck in a direction and go.........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote