Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Who's RV'ing to Alaska in 2015?

We're journeying to Alaska next in the spring/summer of 2015 and I thought this might be a good venue for fellow Alaska bound travellers to meets others and share information. Hopefully this will enable us to meet others RVers and share knowledge and experiences both online as well as sitting around a campfire while gazing upon the Northern Lights.

To start this off, I'll post a summary of our particulars and trip plans in this message thread and I encourage others to join in and possible stop and share a coffee along the way.

If you are planning an Alaskan RV trip in 2015, please join in the conversation before, during and after your trip.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My DW and I (Ron and Linda) will be heading north out of the Vancouver, BC area the second or third week of May, 2015 in our 2005, 43 ft. Mountain Aire motorhome with our Honda CR-V in tow. Our plan is to be gone most of the summer, returning south in time to visit friends and family in Calgary, AB the first weekend in September.

I have been up to Fairbanks, Anchorage and other Alaskan destination by motorcycle in the past so I have a good idea of what the journey might be like.

We're heading up from Vancouver, through Whistler and over the Duffy Lake Road (Hwy-99). I've had many RV'ers ask about taking a big rig through that way so I'll report back afterwords to tell you all how it went.

From there, we'll be going up to Prince George then west to take the Cassiar Hwy (Hwy-37) north to the Yukon where we'll connect with the Alaskan Hwy near Watson Lake. I've travelled this route a number of times by motorcycle and car and I encourage other Alaska bound travellers to check it out for its great scenery and abundant wildlife.

We'll depart the Alcan (Alaska Hwy) at Whitehorse and go north on Hwy 2 to Dawson City and along the Top of the World Highway (Hwy-9) to Chicken and Tok, AK. Next we go north to Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle before coming back south to Denali, Anchorage and out to the Kenai Peninsula.

As summer nears it end, we'll head southward again along the Alcan taking side trips to Valdez, Skagway and other notable stops on our way back to Mile Marker "0" in Dawson Creek, BC.

We really don't have much of a schedule beyond what I've written here but if you might be in those area in that timeframe, drop a message here or send a PM and we can get together along the way.

Ron & Linda
Old 12-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #3

You might want to check out the ongoing Alaska forum for 2015 over at RV.net. Also check out the 'Clicky' at the top of that forum for a compiled post of things to do, what to take, etc.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks twogypsies! I had not seen RV.net yet but I'll be sure to check it and its Alaska forum topic out.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #5

If I may, I'd suggest doing the Cassier on the way back, and stop at Stewart/Hyder to watch the bears feeding on Salmon. And then a drive up by towed to Salmon Glacier from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wow!!.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	81539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Griz #9.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	81540  

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
If I may, I'd suggest doing the Cassier on the way back, and stop at Stewart/Hyder to watch the bears feeding on Salmon. And then a drive up by towed to Salmon Glacier from there.
X2. Was one of the many high lights of our trips to AK.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, coming down the Cassiar in the fall would be much better as it coincides with the salmon runs and the subsequent bear feeding. We unfortunately don't have total control over that part of our travel schedule however as we need to be at a family function already planned for early September. We'll miss the bear fishing at Hyder on this trip but it will give us a valid excuse to go back to Hyder another time since it not all that far from where we live (~900 miles each way).

On the flip side, we'll spend September visiting friends and relatives in Alberta and then we can catch the huge Adam's River Salmon Run on our way home in early October. 2014 was a huge run of millions of sockeye salmon returning to spawn. 2015 will be a smaller run but still substantial with 100,000+ sockeye salmon. More salmon at Adam's River than Hyder but not near as many bears.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Just a side note on the Cassiar Hwy...

I rode the Cassiar in May of 2008 on my motorcycle while on my way to Alaska. This time of the year is great for wildlife along there and I saw more wildlife along that 450 mile road than during the rest of my time in Alaska.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Note to self: Northern lights aren't visible in the spring/summer, only fall/winter. Too much daylight to see them in the spring/summer.

Lived in Alaska for decades - and it's well worth going there to see the northern lights - a fantastic experience!

I'd recommend considering a trip from Anchorage down to Homer on the Kenai Peninsula. Amazing scenery...

Enjoy your trip!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #10

The bears were at Hyder when we were there mid-August - if that fits in your plans. The Cassier is worth driving on your return. It's beautiful.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #11

We will be heading north from Vegas the last day of May, up through Lake Louise/ Banff over to Edmonton to let DW see the largest mall in NA. Then head over to the AlCan Hwy to head to Alaska. We are going to spend the summer in Seward and then head home to SoCal arond the first week of Sept.

We have flown to Alaska several times but this will be the first time we will attempt the drive in the MH, we will take our Jeep as our toad.

Does the timing seem reasonable?
Is this an unusual route?

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #12

OC Bill: Your timing is right on and the route is good. Have a good one.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I plan on going up next year we are in North Carolina. I thought I would go into Canada in Alberta and then head west and north. Not sure about time first of May I guess any suggestions on time/route would be great.

Gene and Bea
Old 12-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
OC Bill: Your timing is right on and the route is good. Have a good one.
Thanks, I think we will stop in Yellowstone on the way up.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving