Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #29

Border areas between rich and poor countries are bad. They attract a certain kind of business that thrives on breaking export/import laws, and they attract a certain kind of employee who doesn't mind breaking laws. So, all along our southern border, we get a concentration of the worst of Mexico. We're rich, they're not, so the gangs and cartels and thieves go where the money is.

Throughout most of the rest of Mexico - aside from some areas where the cartels also are seeking to control local industry and production, which the State Department can tell you about - the people are great. The reception is usually warm and generous. Aside from Mexico mostly just having a virtuous culture - unlike many areas here - the wealth disparity makes them really happy to see you and to sell to you.

But, research before you head down. There are places to avoid, and they're well known and publicized.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 10:29 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spent 13 winters in Mexico and loved it. Traveled throughout the Yucatan(not in an RV) and never felt unsafe anywhere we went. Stayed away from Cancun but that's about the only place we avoided. We'd always make sure we had a $200 peso note( about 15 bucks) in case we got stopped by local cops and needed to donate to the Police retirement fund. Only had to use it a couple times and that happened the first couple years, after that no problem. I think the cops got the message from the government that they were hurting the tourist trade. BTW, the two times I got pulled over I WAS speeding, so guilty as charged! I know people still living or wintering there and they say crime has gotten a bit worse but not anything to get overly frightened about. I'd go back in a heartbeat, and may do just that at some point. Love the people, the culture and the food. BTW, if you're going to spend time in a foreign country and want to venture beyond the touristy areas, it helps immensely to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of the language!
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #31

Amazing to me what people are afraid of these days. Covid-19, conservatives, traveling in Mexico. First, let me address the Mormon family from Sonora. Horrible, tragic, never to be forgotten. These were not tourists. They lived there. This was no random tourist attack. It was intended to harm specific people. Enough with that.
I have traveled to and through Mexico for 35 years. I have also traveled from Key West to Bangor Maine to Seattle Tacoma.
If you want to find trouble in North and South America you can certainly find it.
If you are a law abiding person who has common sense you will be just fine. If you see Mexicans as dishonest, drug dealers who are laying in wait to rob you then please stay home. The truth is that 99.9 percent of folks who encounter problems have only themselves to blame. You can find more danger in Oakland on a Friday night than you can in Mazatlan.
sabbott1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Sabbott, very well said.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #33

Leaving today for rocky point from Phx. this will be my 6th trip in the last 12 months. I can't wait. 15 years and counting.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbott1958 View Post
Amazing to me what people are afraid of these days. Covid-19, conservatives, traveling in Mexico. First, let me address the Mormon family from Sonora. Horrible, tragic, never to be forgotten. These were not tourists. They lived there. This was no random tourist attack. It was intended to harm specific people. Enough with that.
I have traveled to and through Mexico for 35 years. I have also traveled from Key West to Bangor Maine to Seattle Tacoma.
If you want to find trouble in North and South America you can certainly find it.
If you are a law abiding person who has common sense you will be just fine. If you see Mexicans as dishonest, drug dealers who are laying in wait to rob you then please stay home. The truth is that 99.9 percent of folks who encounter problems have only themselves to blame. You can find more danger in Oakland on a Friday night than you can in Mazatlan.
Your first post and it was a dandy. I'll drink to that!
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
I have visited many countries.

I have found the best way to get along with people is to show them simple respect.

its their country, I am a guest.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
I have visited many countries.

I have found the best way to get along with people is to show them simple respect.

its their country, I am a guest.
And that sums it all up.

No fear, just respect and faith.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #37

Been many times. Always enjoyed myself.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #38

CDC level 4 is the highest. If you get Covid in Mexico, what do you do?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Mexico due to COVID-19.

Mexico has lifted stay at home orders in some areas and resumed some transportation and business operations. Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Mexico.

Do Not Travel To:

Colima state due to crime.
Guerrero state due to crime.
Michoacán state due to crime.
Sinaloa state due to crime.
Tamaulipas state due to crime and kidnapping.
Reconsider Travel To:

Chihuahua state due to crime.
Coahuila state due to crime.
Durango state due to crime.
Jalisco state due to crime.
Mexico state due to crime.
Morelos state due to crime.
Nayarit state due to crime.
Nuevo Leon state due to crime.
San Luis Potosi state due to crime.
Sonora state due to crime.
Zacatecas state due to crime.
For detailed information on all states in Mexico, please see below.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
If the Federales pull you over, ask to see their badges.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
If the Federales pull you over, ask to see their badges.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
Good luck with that.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:00 PM   #41

Just got back from Picachos Lake 40 minutes from Mazatlan. Caught over 200 largemouth bass daily. Airport IMPECCABLY clean. Resort UNBELIEVABLY clean.
Not one issue. Period.
Been going for 30 years.
The fishing resort, Ron Speed Adventures, tracks their clients after returning to the states. Zero...not one...has developed Covid.
When fear mongering stops and reasonable people act in a reasonable manner, then hyperbole and bullcrap stops.
Mexico is safer than Seattle.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbott1958 View Post
Mexico is safer than Seattle.
Sweeping statements make me nervous.

Many parts of Mexico are safer than Seattle. Some are not. Like any place in the world - California, Paris, Jamaica, wherever - you need to do your homework before you wander about.

If you stick to what I think of as Mexican Disneyland - Baja, Mazatlan area, the YP - chances are good you're safe, because those areas will die if tourists stop and so they get protected. Outside of that, you need to be even more informed. But it can be well worth the effort.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote