RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #29

I wanted to travel my wife agreed but I could tell her heart wasn't in it. She had more excuses than a kid trying to get out of school. I decided to compromise. I said I am not sitting the house the rest of my life. I am traveling by rv, car and hotel or airplane and hotel. You are welcome to join me and you get to pick the method of travel. If you decide not to join me in travel that's ok I will see you when I return. No hard feelings. She wasn't letting me go alone so she joined me and ended up having a good time. I have taken a few trips alone but for the most part she helps plan our tips. They aren't as bad as she thought. She likes to volunteer which is fine and I am ok with joining in on that from time to time
vanman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #30

She might need to be ďinspiredĒ. If you can, sit down together to watch Keep Your Daydream, on YouTube. Theyíre a family but they inspire a lot of people, such as my wife and I. We had never RVíd, watched the show, got hooked, bought a Class C and loved the changing scenery so sold our condo, traded in the Class C for a Class A and now RV full time. We like that we can take our home anywhere and get million dollar views.
leroifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #31

Drive & Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Maybe do what Traveling Robert on You Tube does. His wife is still working so for long trips he will sometimes travel to a destination and his wife will fly out to meet him and they will travel in their RV together until she flies back home. He gets a wonderful long RV trip and she gets a quick trip by air to a fun place to visit.
We met a couple just last week in the Great Smoky Mountains Park area who also do this. Apparently, it is fairly common when the wife doesn't mind being there but hates the getting there part. They have crossed the country twice using this method and he says he enjoys the driving freedom and the time alone. Of course, this still might not be responsive to your wife's concerns. Best to start there before proposing a solution.
crg96738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1-800-RV4RENT

Much cheaper and a good compromise to see if she likes it. Go for a week and see.
mvglorioso59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #33

My father-in-law loved the idea of camping, but mother-in-law did not. He bought a small camper and would go on trips by himself and had a great time. Mother-in-law took a trip by herself to Bermuda and had a great time, no worries, no resentment. I have several motorcycles and love to ride and once or twice a year I go on a road trip with my old buddies. My wife doesn't care anything about riding but doesn't mind me doing it (and I don't have someone punching me in the ribs telling me to "slow down").
Old 06-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #34

I donít think anyone can answer for you. Just suggestions. It depends on your relationship. I travel about 98% alone as my wife prefers to be a home body. Bothers other folks way more than it bothers us.

Hope you both live your dreams, even if not the same dream
Old 06-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #35

Happy wife...happy life

Same deal w my wife.....deal is they are committed all year long and she wants to Ďdo her own thingí during the summer....tread lightly my friend...eventually she will see the light 😎
RonandSueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #36

I planned for 20 years for my retirement to sell everything and go full time, I thought my wife was planning the same thing. After retirement as I started preparing to organize my stuff for the sale when I mentioned it to my wife she informed me she wasnít giving up her home to live in a trailer. That was that! Sadly she passed 15 years later from lung cancer. I have since remarried and my wife isnít keen on complete full time, however we do head south for 5-6 months each winter, so Iím happy with that. As so many have said if you canít compromise you have two choices divorce or weekends. I my case I didnít want to divorce, and we couldnít live our normal life on my pension alone so I started a new career for 15 yrs.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some good advice offered. I wish you well on the decisions and potential journeys.

Remember age old saying:

Happy Wife...Happy Life.
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #38

I hear you

I see some interesting ways to "sell" your spouse on RV trips. While my situation is different, it does have similarities. I have been retired now for over 5 years after 43 years of working. My spouse has 2 3/4 years more of work until she retires after working for our local school system (35 years total). Thus, she doesn't always have the "free" time that I do. So, when we plan trips that she doesnt have all the time she wants, she'll either drive with me to a destination and then fly home OR fly and meet me at a particular place and drive home with me. We are doing just this this summer for a family reunion in Pennsylvania (and we live in Florida). Just my thoughts.
davidnanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #39

I go alone aswell!

Wife goes once in a while, but I usually go alone. I do Genealogy, so, I go to places to do research as well as fish, fly fishing mainly. I enjoy museums and other activities. Both of us are retired and enjoy being apart once in a while to. I meet some of the greatest people to.
Charlietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
I need a little advise here. Hopefully sincere rather than jokes. I recently retired and it has always been my dream to travel and explore in the RV. My wife still works part time as a teacher and gets the summers off. It's like pulling teeth to get her to go away on a two or three week trip. We do go on weekend trips during the year, however I want to go on longer trips, like we did when the kids were younger.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc.?
I feel same way as your wife. My husband wants to go on 5-6 weeks at a time or 2 months to Alaska! I like trips for a week or less! Itís always an argument. I go with him but am unhappy. Havenít went on Alaska trip yet. I will tell you why I donít want to go and maybe it will help you. I donít like traveling more than 6 hours in a day. My feet swell and itís painful. So we stop after 6 hours if possible. Also he got us recliners instead of couch, I sit in recliner while he drives. I like to stop and see family or friends if we go anywhere near them. I enjoy that. I like to bring my dogs and cats. We do that. He helps me make the bed cuz itís a pain! He helps me load and unload RV. He lets me listen to my music while driving. When grandkids come with or meet up with us thatís a big plus. I like places with animals not just scenery so this next trip we are going to Yellowstone. He always goes to laundromat with me and helps me do the laundry on the trip. He cooks on the grill for me. I love that! These are just some things to think about.
PattyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #41

RP, I dont have an anwer becasue I'm in the same position the only difference my other half rather work. I made the decision to hit the road this year either with or without.
greglisa2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #42

I also retired b4 she did. Realize being she is still working she is tired and just wants to relax. Did the long weekends stretching to week and when she retired we headed from MN to warm wheather. Couple years traveling the southern states. Now do 3-4 month in same area of Arizona for 6 years.

Our neighbor in AZ park comes down in January and his wife comes down when school i done and they slowly head home.

Good luck with your ventures.
LarryFlew is offline   Reply With Quote