RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown45cal View Post
Tell your wife that you will travel to visit her relatives along your trip. Works every time for me.
Ha - that would make me want to stay at home.

The OP really can't get the question answered here - there needs to be a conversation at home to understand the reluctance to travel by RV for longer periods of time. Coercion is not the solution.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #114

Get a dishwasher in the unit, or offer to help doing them.
Promise to take her out to dinner often, when on the trip.
Rub her feet, find places she wants to go, even if it involves renting a hotel room, on the journey. Since she still works and has limited time off, you have to make it easier for her, or make her realize you will. 25 Years ago I took my wife to Winfield, KS for a accoutic music festival. I told her she had to go ONLY 1 time, if she liked it great, if not she would at least know what I was doing that week, every year....she loved it........Most of our friends in Tulsa, are because of that decision today.
okdeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #115

Road Scholar

It was mentioned the the wife is a teacher. What does she teach? Maybe taking trips that go along with what she teaches might help. For example, if she teaches history visit some historic sites or travel the Lewis and Clark Trail, etc.
When we moved to California the local schools were on a year round schedule. A class would be in school for three months and one off on a rotating basis. Back in 1996 we wanted to a take a trip to Wisconsin for Mom's 75th b-day. Our daughter was scheduled to have August off but Mom's b-day was July 29. We told the teacher that we were driving back and our daughter was going to miss a week to 10 days of school. The teacher gave the assignments to be done and turned in when we returned. This was before the internet was a big thing. We had a Toyota Class C RV. Everyday as we traveled we had our daughter keep a trip journal about where we had gone and what we saw. She also sent a postcard everyday to her class describing the trip of the day.

After visiting Mom we continued to upstate NY to visit DW's family, then headed back visiting more friends along the way to Colorado to visit the sister in law and then finally home. I think it was about a three week trip.

After we returned and went to parent teacher conference the teacher told us what a great idea it was to sent the postcards. Each card was read in class then posted on the wall with a map of the U.S. and a line showing where the postcard was from. The teacher told us that the class looked forward to getting each postcard.

Just think of the photos of your wife standing in front some landmark, etc. and using them in the classroom.

Bob T.
baluncru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #116

Slightly different approach

I'd attack it from a different angle. Why is it she doesn't want to go? As someone mentioned, if it's something like a health issue, there's not much you can do. But if it's "we never go anywhere fun", or comfort issues, there's something you can do about it. I'm curious what the answer is.

Keep in mind, you should ask "Why" 6 times to get to the root cause of the issue. The answer will start with a symptom, not the root problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
I need a little advise here. Hopefully sincere rather than jokes. I recently retired and it has always been my dream to travel and explore in the RV. My wife still works part time as a teacher and gets the summers off. It's like pulling teeth to get her to go away on a two or three week trip. We do go on weekend trips during the year, however I want to go on longer trips, like we did when the kids were younger.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks
Burgdob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #117

I have the same problem. I cant get the wife out of house for anything so I just go without her. I did get her to go once last year for a week and she complained until I said something then she finally acted as if she enjoyed it. This year so far she hasn't gone with me and I've been on two separate camping trips. It is peaceful, but unfortunately I do not have the answer to getting her motivated to go camping/RVing.
1SGLEwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #118

Quote:
I need a little advise here. Hopefully sincere rather than jokes. I recently retired and it has always been my dream to travel and explore in the RV. My wife still works part time as a teacher and gets the summers off. It's like pulling teeth to get her to go away on a two or three week trip. We do go on weekend trips during the year, however I want to go on longer trips, like we did when the kids were younger.

Thanks
The old saying “You only live once” could come into play here. It took a life changing event in my case, a massive stroke, that made me realize that everyday is special and we need to make the most out of each and every one of them. Prior to that event, we were just living our lives taking each day for granted, assuming that the sun would rise the next day and life would go on. I realized that we really weren’t living our lives, we were simply surviving. My wife was reluctant as well prior to my stroke, but she too has come to realize how precious life is and we are now on the same page, so much so that we just took delivery on our new motorhome and we are planning on taking month long trips to see what our country has to offer. She still works as well, so until she retires in two years, we plan on weekend and week long trips to get ramped up for our real adventure. I pray that it doesn’t take a life altering event in either of your lives to make you realize how precious life is and that you should take advantage of each and every day. We tell our friends and families that “we are going to live our lives”. No more just surviving and assuming that tomorrow will always be there. Good luck in whatever you end up doing.
forkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkman View Post
The old saying “You only live once” could come into play here. It took a life changing event in my case, a massive stroke, that made me realize that everyday is special and we need to make the most out of each and every one of them. Prior to that event, we were just living our lives taking each day for granted, assuming that the sun would rise the next day and life would go on. I realized that we really weren’t living our lives, we were simply surviving. My wife was reluctant as well prior to my stroke, but she too has come to realize how precious life is and we are now on the same page, so much so that we just took delivery on our new motorhome and we are planning on taking month long trips to see what our country has to offer. She still works as well, so until she retires in two years, we plan on weekend and week long trips to get ramped up for our real adventure. I pray that it doesn’t take a life altering event in either of your lives to make you realize how precious life is and that you should take advantage of each and every day. We tell our friends and families that “we are going to live our lives”. No more just surviving and assuming that tomorrow will always be there. Good luck in whatever you end up doing.

For us, it was cancer. Life can change in an instant. Tomorrow isn’t for sure. Live each day as if it could be your last, learn each day as if you were to live forever.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #120

I wish the OP would return and let us know if any of this helped!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #121

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wife

Lot’s of us have your problem. My problem is getting away from Grand Children or other excuses. What I do is sit down at the table and start my planning for a month long trip. I ask my wife for input and if I don’t get help just make my plan and commit to reservations. Once committed we always go and both of us enjoy.
WHITERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #122

In the early years of our relationship, we'd get invited somewhere, we'd accept and we'd go. But over a period of 2 years her participation waned. Undaunted, I still attended when invited, without her (even though WE had accepted the invite). And I enjoyed myself in spite of her absence. I got less introverted while she got more introverted.

15 years in, I got the "I want a divorce." speech. When I asked her 'why?' - "Because you're boring." I couldn't drag her out of the damn house.

I dated for a few years afterward (and after the shock of divorce) but discovered I was happier between girlfriends than I was with one and slowly drifted away from dating.

Fast forward to today, I'm a very happy single - there is no drama or conflict in my life; I leave when I want and come back when I want.

As for the 'happy wife, happy life' nonsense. NOPE - Happy Spouse, Happy House.

I readily admit that I'm an anomaly but I'm good with that. I've known too many married couples with different dreams that aren't exposed until it's time to implement and then it's too late.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #123

Spartan Chassis
Wife does not like Camping & Traveling

Quote:

Thanks
Well I ran into that problem back in 1990 had three kids and my wife didn't want to go camping but I and the three kids did. The children were between 10 & 5 years at that time so I asked her why. She told me she liked taking baths so I bought a 24.5 foot Kustom Coach Travel Trailer with a 4-foot long Tub & shower with a separate Flush Tolit and nice sink for washing with Mirrored Cabinet with a closet in the Bathroom for Towels just like a house. SO she went Camping a few times and said she didn't like it so we quit going. A couple of years later she divorced me for the School Bus Driver. I have been single ever since raised my Children and recently sold out my Property and moved into my Beautiful 2005 Travel Supreme, MH., so I can Travel whenever I want and yet never leave my Home. I will borrow Taylor Drazman's saying from U-Tube, I am living the Dream now!
Old 06-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #124

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You have to know why she is reluctant to go... Then the solution will be obvious.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #125

expect to do every thing urself-and i mean every thing -good luck
Charles Tole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #126

https://www.drphil.com/
picker is offline   Reply With Quote