Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #71

Get a dog and take off. She does not want to go, she’ll be fine and so will you.

~ a verified spouse
gcarter901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #72

My wife doesn’t desire to go

We retired in 1996 and went full time in a fifth wheel trailer. It took my wife a long time getting use to me driving our rig. After 2 years living in a RV Park in Alberta, Alabama, we decided to sell our rig and go to a site built home. 5 years later we purchased a smaller RV and went to the RV parks at Florida Beaches. She became much better at ease with the RV life. I found that just using the RV on short trips and forming a set up and take down routine she became uses to the RV. We now have a Class C and I no longer drive. My does a fantastic job at maneuvering the RV. I navigate and she operates. We are on the road from 9:00 am thru 3:00 pm. We both really enjoy the life. Let her ease in to the lifestyle and she will come to love the life
JohnBGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
I need a little advise here. Hopefully sincere rather than jokes. I recently retired and it has always been my dream to travel and explore in the RV. My wife still works part time as a teacher and gets the summers off. It's like pulling teeth to get her to go away on a two or three week trip. We do go on weekend trips during the year, however I want to go on longer trips, like we did when the kids were younger.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks
I see a lot of advice given, but only a few scratch the issue. The missing part of your question is: What does your wife say when asked WHY she doesn’t want to go? All the rest of us can only provide speculative advice without knowing what's in her mind. As in all things, talk openly and find what the hurdles are.
walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #74

doesn't want to go

Tell your wife that you will travel to visit her relatives along your trip. Works every time for me.
brown45cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #75

Wife apprehensive

Hi:
I am one of those wives that was really apprehensive about long trips. We compromised, every 5 nights, I have the option of staying in a hotel and ordering room service. We just returned from a 10 day tour of Oregon and just the camping on the coast was so beautiful... Plus my husband does all the cooking. I am a bit OCD on dirt and that is still hard for me, but I absolutely love traveling around in our 25 foot RV now. We stop every 3 hours for the dogs... I must say I am so impressed with Oregons rest stops..

Hope it works out for you

Alison
Gypsy Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #76

I have the same situation, three to four days at a time has been our our limit once the children grew up and we no longer do the Yellowstone, Disneyland, Grand Canyon, etc., trips as a family adventure. What I did was join the local Elks Lodge, and the RV group there. The once a month meetings expose the wife to the other members, so it creates a social group that is supportive of RV'ing. The group from the Elks does a three day RV outing every month from April through October. No long distance treks, just something within a few hours away, and in a group camp setting with social activities. Makes the experience inclusive, creates new friends, and builds positive experiences.
What it did is allow us to meet others in the group with a desire for more extended treks, and now it is not like striking out and hanging with strangers in a strange place. So, longer duration treks are now fun for her.
There will always be the grand-kids back home, the convenience and stability of our home, her social circle, my friends, the farm, and the draw of getting back home. But, each adventure with new friends allows us to extend the time away from home for longer and longer periods.
It will never turn into months on end because of our other interests, but a few weeks at a whack are now fun and enjoyable for both of us.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #77

Packing, unpacking, organizing, laundry, cooking, groceries, stress of travel, gas stations, getting lost, fear of break downs, big city traffic, grumpy driver. It is very hard to give up your down time when you only have 2 months off. Do you have kids or pets to wrangle? Listen to her reasons why she doesn't enjoy it. Tackle reasons one at a time
Jjkkee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe show her different destinations like some of the national parks, and let her pick whatever she is most interested in?
Jim Casper

8.1 liter Vortec
movinout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #79

You know some people are scared to travel I was married once and the wife like that once we went to a foreign country she would not leave the hotel eventually we divorced, so I would say if you marriage is strong a open discussion about what actually limits her or why she is against would be good, maybe the security of B & S or fear of the unknown, I’m full time now but every once in while the wife hints to go back “Home” because she says is too much work for me, ( setting up and breaking it down which you know is BS, I just of blow it off as for me if the wife says no more RVing and it’s not for health reasons I’m afraid I will do some traveling alone no doubt

Zzotte
Old 06-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #80

I understand. I had a hard time giving in to 3-4 week trips. But adding in things and places I like makes it work. I’m a home body, but the long trip is good for both. It gets you away from the house, daily routine, the usual activities you always do, and yes the kids. I look at it that we’re not getting any younger , don’t waste this time. There is so much to see and do. You’ll appreciate home much more but will remember the places you go. A friend keeps a journal and pics , she puts a trip book together. I love these books to look back on our trips Hope your wife will take the longer trips with you.
We leave Tuesday for 3 weeks, to Utah , Colorado , South Dakota
Ddobson1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #81

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would take the whole RV out of the discussion, for the discussion. Where would she like to go, what would she like to do? Then, substitute the flights & hotel stays for the RV trips & stays. Explain the pros to having your own moving hotel room. No packing every few days, coffee in bed in the morning, no TSA undressing, flight delays, etc.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #82

I have no advice, just a story. We both love traveling and we are fortunate to get to do that. My brother wanted to surprise his wife with a trip for her retirement. He had it all planned out ... Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, mountains in Montana, etc. etc. and she didn't want to go. He was heartbroken ... and now just three short years later, he is unable to leave their home due to bad health.
I guess I do have some advice .... relationships require some compromise sometimes .... go places, do things, see this wonderful country ..... before it's too late!!
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #83

Put in extras for the wife'

I put in a nice stereo system, Sat. TV system so can watch live or recorded programs of her choice and also even get music if no radio reception. Plus we take her sewing machine so she can sew and quilt while we are away from home. We both now love traveling, hunting -fishing, & traveling to see the kids and grandkids. We still have a home base to visit too.
dlahr711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #84

Wife Won't Go

Same problem. I go alone and she stands at the door holding it open! We have been happily married for 48 years. Last fall I went to Alaska for 40 days. Her comment when I returned "do I have to cook for you now"? I will be leaving PA in late August for Oregon.
IrishSettler is offline   Reply With Quote