RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wife Doesn't Want to Go...

I need a little advise here. Hopefully sincere rather than jokes. I recently retired and it has always been my dream to travel and explore in the RV. My wife still works part time as a teacher and gets the summers off. It's like pulling teeth to get her to go away on a two or three week trip. We do go on weekend trips during the year, however I want to go on longer trips, like we did when the kids were younger.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
try one week trips..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #3

Had a similar situation with my wife. Sadly your only choices are go without her and plan on divorce or give up on your dream. I wanted to go camp josting for a month at a time. Wife did not. I told her I was going without her then. She relented and went with me. She actually loved it as much as I did until arthritus knocked her down and we had to end our RVing.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #4

Try a compromise and tell her you will do something she wants to do in exchange for a longer trip that you want to do....My husband has a garage full of tools and classic cars. I have a basement studio filled with quilting machines, sewing machines, fabric and gadgets. We both love our motorhome.

2013 Holiday Rambler 36 pft, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Perhaps you could organize a week or so trip around your wife's interests. The stops/activities that she enjoys might get her to give the extended trip a try. If she finds an extended stay in the RV fun, you're set. If not, time to go alone or give up on the extended RV trips.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One week won't really give us time to explore Oregon, Washington, etc.

I thought about going alone and volunteering at a State Park..

Great idea on planning around HER interests..

You guys and gals are great!!
Old 05-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
I need a little advice here. Hopefully sincere rather than jokes.

I recently retired and it has always been my dream to travel and explore in the RV.

My wife still works part time as a teacher and gets the summers off.

It's like pulling teeth to get her to go away on a two or three week trip.

We do go on weekend trips during the year, however I want to go on longer trips, like we did when the kids were younger.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks
As you've heard before the advice is worth what you paid for it - BUT - There are many DW's who are not nearly as excited as we are.

So - what do they Enjoy? - When you go, do you make sure to have the Wine or Meals she likes? When you spend a week in the Mountains do you take her out for A great meal/Dinner when you get back to Town?

Is there any chance that maybe you could get the kids to "Suggest a Trip"?

Where Do You Want to Go? Where does She want to Go?

I see the Tetons in you profile page so you do get away.

Summers are Great for the Rockies, would something like this work - https://binged.it/2JF3mI4 - 4-7 days out to Ouray, Colorado.

Leave home and roll into Vegas for the night - maybe a show - or dinner then on to North Rim - IMHO very Romantic and Beautiful - cooler in the summer as it has some elevation. Great Morning, Sunrise that looks out over the Canyon - boondocking is easy - then on to Monument Valley - Gouldings RV park and Lodge for dinner or Cook out Drive through the Towers early in the Am then drive to Ouray - see the Old West Movie locations then on to Ouray - Telluride is just around the corner so not bad, Hot springs are in Ouray and enough to keep you busy for years.

You are now Located in the San Juans - which is one of the last Wild and Beautiful untamed spots left in the US (JMHO) - Many options from sitting and just enjoying the mountains today drives - Fishing - Rafting - Hiking - 4X4'ing - ...................or slide into town and stay civilized ...................

I've driven and flown my DW all over the Country and a good part of the World - after a drive on the Alpine Loop she said it was the most beautiful area I had ever taken her, so if you have to - rent a jeep and take the drive - Don't forget the Camera.

So that's My sales Pitch, Combine what you like and what she will enjoy and you will get to do a Lot More than if you only did what you enjoyed. I gotten my DW to do almost 6 months (We had Grandkids just 30 minutes away for much of the trip but we stayed on the road for months at a time - visited places she loved and Friends she enjoyed and and a little of what I enjoyed. We flew a hilo into the Grand Canyon from Vegas - we ate at some Great restaurants in Ski towns and we have Hiked into the Mountains and stood on top of Angels Landings...................We have had fun - but "we" both did what "We" enjoyed.

Hope this is of some help,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Go! Find something interesting to her and go.
Too much can (and often does) happen later. Just do it
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #9

Also look for high end RV resorts as mid or endpoint goals with activities and atractions (wine tasting, foody, what ever she or you both like) and if you have a tow vehicle then the RV in the resort is a home base for your adventures and doesn't feel like a long term cofinement. Also helps to have friends with RVs to travel with, then she knows you'll always have that extra benefit of friends where ever you go.
If her concern is being "disconnected" from friends or family, maybe look into RV wifi/cell/internet systems so she always feels secure and connected where ever you go.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe do what Traveling Robert on You Tube does. His wife is still working so for long trips he will sometimes travel to a destination and his wife will fly out to meet him and they will travel in their RV together until she flies back home. He gets a wonderful long RV trip and she gets a quick trip by air to a fun place to visit.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #11

Have the kids and grandkids meet you somewhere. This might entice her to want to come. Just make sure it takes extra time for you to get there and back.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Maybe do what Traveling Robert on You Tube does. His wife is still working so for long trips he will sometimes travel to a destination and his wife will fly out to meet him and they will travel in their RV together until she flies back home. He gets a wonderful long RV trip and she gets a quick trip by air to a fun place to visit.
Traveling Robert has a wife????? Never heard him mention her.

If she dont want to go she dont want to go. Nothing you can do. My wife did not want to full time on a sailboat. She said she would go, just because she wants to be with me. But she does not like the water and it would be a horrible journey.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #13

Let HER plan where to go.

Let HER plan what kind of park she wants to stay in. Perhaps she'd prefer one with full hookups and a clubhouse/pool as opposed to no hookups.

Suggest that you have breakfast at the RV; pack a lunch for siteseeing and go out for dinner.

Does she have a special interest? Perhaps going to a place where she can pursue it.

Of course, HER trip shouldn't be every trip. Alternate picking destinations and parks.

Perhaps she'd enjoy volunteering in Oregon's parks. If she enjoys teaching there are opportunities for working with the kid's programs. Or.... if she wants a break from kids perhaps giving lighthouse tours or being in the Visitor Center would be interesting for her.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:16 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
Traveling Robert has a wife????? Never heard him mention her.

Definitely has a wife. I donít think she likes to be recorded, but you will occasionally see her in a video.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote