Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
In the end of June and 1st week of July we will be travelling to Upper New york State and into Vermont for 2 weeks of relaxation. We would cross over at Niagara Falls and back into Canada in the Kingston area. We just purchased a Tiffin Allegro Bay 38 ft and can't wait to try it out. Currently the snow is blowing and its cold. We would be looking for any suggestions that you RVr's may have to help out some old campers but new to camp grounds in this area.
Roycdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
In the end of June and 1st week of July we will be travelling to Upper New york State and into Vermont for 2 weeks of relaxation. We would cross over at Niagara Falls and back into Canada in the Kingston area. We just purchased a Tiffin Allegro Bay 38 ft and can't wait to try it out. Currently the snow is blowing and its cold. We would be looking for any suggestions that you RVr's may have to help out some old campers but new to camp grounds in this area.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We like to visit Vermont about every 3rd year from Ohio. We usually stay at state parks while in Vermont, but there is one private campground in central Vermont Lake Dunmore Kamperville that we always stay at for a part of our trip. We usually do 5 nights at a state park, then 5 at Kamperville to recharge our battery's then back to another state park. Kamperville is located about 30 miles north of Rutland VT. They have 3 swimming pools and bingo every night. I like it because it is across the street from Lake Dunmore which I like to take my kayak....and offers some good hiking. Here is a link to 07's trip there from my IRV2 photo gallery. Vermont Aug. 07'. The park does get booked up very early for the season. So if you want a site for next summer on a weekend, I would call by Feb. If you get back with me I can give you some nice site #'s that would hold your 38'er.
Besides Kamperville, we like VT's state parks. If you don't mind not having electric service St. Catherine SP. has many large sites for MH's. It is located on the western border with NY. about 30 miles west of Rutland. Here is a link to that park. St. Catherine State Park There are a few sites with a lake view, but the nice large ones are a 5 minute walk to the waters edge. Remember none of the VT. state parks offer electric service. Most have modern showerhouses and dump stations.
About 5 or 6 years ago we stopped for a week after doing VT. at Lake Placid. We stayed at Wilmington Notch State park located at the base of Lake Placid ski resort. Same thing here there is on electric service. The city of Lake Placid was about 10 miles away. Here is a link to those pix's Lake Placid 03'
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:30 AM   #4

Here is a map of parks around where you will be crossing to/from Canada.

In most cases I have verified the location of the parks (see the GPS Quality listed for each park).

I have websites listed for each.

If you zoom in on a park and turn on satellite imagery, you can get a good idea what a park looks like.

It is an easy way to do some quick filtering of parks.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the information and this site looks like an excellant way to view trips and find campsites.
It is giving me a few problems changing to my location but I'm working through it.
Thanks again for your help
Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is giving me a few problems changing to my location </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know what kinds of problems you are having, and I'll try to make it work better. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #7

I like your site Tom and have bookmarked it for future use. A "search by zip code" option might be useful. I notice there's no state parks. What did you use for your database?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #8

I agree, a search by zipcode would be useful. I have wished it were there quite often, but did not have a reason to do that particular thing.

Now I do. I'll add it.

There are state parks, but not a lot of them. If I see a particular state park mentioned in a RV forum I add it.

The database is hand-built by myself and family members. Mostly myself. As of this morning I think there are 1,974 RV parks. I entered all but 300. I add an average of 10/day, so I expect to hit 2,000 by New Years day.

It is information I have collected over the years, plus a lot of Google searches. Google's "geocoding" gets it wrong quite often, especially in more remote regions. So I also do a lot of hand verification using other web sites, particularly the sites of the RV parks themselves. You have probably noticed that many RV parks do not make it easy to find them.

But most RV parks in my database have websites because it is much easier to get and verify information on a RV park with even a bad website than it is to get information on a RV park with NO website.

Part of the reason that I do not have very many state parks is that the web sites for governmentally run parks are quite often very difficult to use. It takes a lot more work to extract the information. Sometimes it is impossible to even get a street address or a phone number, let alone directions or a usable map. This is why I normally wait until someone mentions a particular state park to add it.

But, I expect Google to get better at geocoding (guessing position based on address). Folks in the know say that Google regularly incorporates "user contributions". Plus they mine the web. The heaviest user of ContinuousTraveler.com is Google's "bots" that suck up web pages for indexing and other purposes; mostly other purposes, since they have only indexed around 300 out of over 1900 pages. So, my hand verified GPS coordinates will find their way into Google's databases. Seems fair, since I use their maps for free.

You can add RV parks yourself, if you feel inclined to do so.

1) Register at Continuous Traveler to get a 'trial' account.

2) Follow the link that will be emailed to you to confirm that you really registered. This turns the account into a 'regular' one.

3) Go to the Publish page (see link near the top left of any page).

4) Click the 'New' button.

5) Fill stuff in. Save frequently.

6) You can push the park's icon around on the map to position it. If you do, set the GPS Quality to one of the Verified settings before you save, otherwise the position gets automatically recomputed (I will fix this, too!).

6) Click the 'Publish' button near the top right. It will tell you if critical information is missing.

Contact me for more information or help. Yet another thing I must do is start adding FAQ pages.

Best regards,
Tom
Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Problem getting data from server: [object Error]
Tom this is the error that comes up after I use your link to the page
Old 12-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
"Roycdn" if your planning to camp over the July 4th weekend I would be setting something up now. Things to do in Vermont should include:

~Northern area (Stowe)~

~ Ben & Jerry's factory tour

~ Stowe Ski resort toll road and hike to the summit Mt. Mansfield hike

~ Cold Hollow Cider Mill (Stowe Mt. Rd. area)
-----------------------------------------------
~Central area~(Rutland)

~ New England Maple Museum
Old 12-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey thanks a lot "Superslif". The plan was to start the first of the New Year and your right even in this area things fill up fast.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
One of the best rated factory tours is the Ben & Jerry's ice cream tour located about 30 miles east of Burlington VT. just off of I-89. Here is a photo of their RV parking lot RV Parking Their tours leave about every 10 or 15 minutes during the weekend hours. During the weekdays it is far less crowded.....
Old 01-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #13

I second the Lake Dunmore Kampersville. We just returned from a whirlwind Christmas RV trip for some skiing in Killington. This was the closest park I could find that even answered the phone. They get serious kudos in my book; they weren't even officially open, but since they live in the campground they said we could come in. Had to plow out the site and hook-ups especially for us, and only charged $20 bucks a nite for full hook-ups. Nice store, too.

Instead of trying to find the meaning of life, live a life with meaning
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote