Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

Wind damage

We don't think much about the weather here in Southern CA, because it doesn't change very much. In the last 5 days however, we've received about twice our annual rainfall and a significant amount of rain. Yeah, I know...our annual rainfall is only 3 inches. We are a coastal desert. Not set up for rain. Most of you guys get this in an hour many times over in a year. I am not whining or bragging, just say'n.

The follow picture was posted from our local 10News station about an incident that happened locally two days ago. It reminded me to be very aware of my surroundings when we travel.

It hurts to see this. I feel so very sorry bad for these guys. They apparently stored their coach locally, and were luckily away from it while on a cruise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485138428.556463.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	149819

Travel, and park, safely!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
We don't think much about the weather here in Southern CA, because it doesn't change very much. In the last 5 days however, we've received about twice our annual rainfall and a significant amount of rain. Yeah, I know...our annual rainfall is only 3 inches. We are a coastal desert. Not set up for rain. Most of you guys get this in an hour many times over in a year. I am not whining or bragging, just say'n.

The follow picture was posted from our local 10News station about an incident that happened locally two days ago. It reminded me to be very aware of my surroundings when we travel.

It hurts to see this. I feel so very sorry bad for these guys. They apparently stored their coach locally, and were luckily away from it while on a cruise.

Attachment 149819

Travel, and park, safely!
Well, at least the front windshield is salvageable, not sure what else it though! Sheezz!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

Where did this happen at?
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #4

It was reported on the local news here in San Diego. I don't know specifically where in the county. We've had several deaths here this week from old eucalyptus trees that just snap and come down on motorists. We are a coastal desert. Not at all engineered to handle this rain and wind.

BTW, eucalyptus trees are not indigenous to San Diego. They were imported by the Speckles family (think sugar) as a fast growing tree to be used as railroad ties when the railroad line was extended to San Diego. Problem is however that the grain is sort of in a radial twist. Makes splitting a very labor intensive endeavor. Has to be split when freshly cut too. If you age it like traditional wood, the grain tightens up. Please don't ask me how I know. 😡
Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
Where did this happen at?

Oh...I see that you are a neighbor, just 40 minutes (not on a Friday afternoon) north of me. You already know about Euc's. If you were asking about the park, I don't know.

It is painful to see the pic.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Oh...I see that you are a neighbor, just 40 minutes (not on a Friday afternoon) north of me. You already know about Euc's. If you were asking about the park, I don't know.

It is painful to see the pic.
Neighbor's? Yep. That's why I was curious about which park. If the traffic were only an issue on Friday's. We moved to Temecula in the mid '80's to be in the middle of nowhere. Boy did that change. At retirement we had 5 beautiful acres in the hills overlooking the wine country. Even a seasonal stream. Awesome, but I could not stand the traffic. Got rid of everything intending to travel the country for 10 years looking for the perfect place to live. Quickly became apparent that anyplace we'd want to live had lots of traffic. My wife truly missed the grandkids in Menifee. And So Cal weather? 360 days of the year it's just great. (These recent rains, and at our place we've had over 14"s since Christmas, remind me of what we experienced of first winter along the Gulf Coast.) Found a great place in a retirement community in Murrieta right above the Calvary Chapel Theology Campus. Extended RV travel works better for us than full-time. And the traffic? I have just learned to not be out when others are. Become that old dude I used to make fun off!
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #7

that tree didn't have a problem pushing that ClassA gasser around, hunh? : /
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote