Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

Wind River range camping advice

Why all,
We are interested in camping in the wind river area, possibly Pinedale and Green River Lake area, will bring a 25 ft class c with a dual sport dirt bike, Jeep towed, wife and a 9 year old for hiking, fishing, some riding . Area looks good on paper. Close to Tetons as well.

Any tips would be great. Looking for a safe area, not too bad on bears, etc easy roads in and it appears a way from green lake to hwy 26?

Thanks
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I worked for almost 20 years every summer on a ranch outside of Dubois. If you want primitive camping, (campsites with outhouses) there are some great spots for all the activities you want in Torrey Canyon, just south of Dubois on US 26. Up US 26 towards Togwotee Pass is Brooks Falls, just off the highway or a short drive up a dirt road is Brooks Lake Campground. The USFS Ranger Station in Dubois or the one just outside Moran, (near Hatchet Resort) can give you maps of all the local USFS campgrounds and recommendations of good spots. Boysen SP is also a good spot, on Boysen Reservoir and near the Wind River Canyon.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

My friend Jon and I camped on the Green River Lakes in August 2009. However, a caveat: this was many years before my wife and I purchased our travel trailer, and RV ownership wasn't even a consideration at the time. So I wasn't looking at Green River Lakes from an RV owner's perspective.

However, we absolutely loved the area even though it was rain bordering on snow during much of our visit, even in August. The dirt road into Green River Lakes was well graded and negotiable by any type of vehicle.

Instead of RVing, our trip involved kayak camping. On the way there we tent camped the night before on public land on the east side of Fremont Lake, on the road to White Pine Ski Area near Pinedale:

The following morning we loaded our boats and paddled in a steady 30-something drizzle across the lower Green River Lake, paddled and portaged upstream to the upper lake, and set camp on the east shore of the upper lake:

At the put-in - lovely weather for a paddle!

Heading upstream between the two lakes

Portage time

Our camp on the upper lake

At the take out at the lower lake

The azure waters of the upper lake are particularly spectacular. This is grizzly country even though it's pretty much the southern extent of their range, so following proper bear safety protocols is essential. We did so, and had no visitors.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On last May's trip to the Tetons we stopped one night at Highline Trail in Pinedale. Nice private campground with huge level sites. The next day we did a drive-thru at Warren Bridge BLM campground. Nice dry campground. The back loop was far enough from the road to hear any traffic. Sites were plenty large enough for a 25' Class C plus toad.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbigham View Post
Why all,
We are interested in camping in the wind river area, possibly Pinedale and Green River Lake area, will bring a 25 ft class c with a dual sport dirt bike, Jeep towed, wife and a 9 year old for hiking, fishing, some riding . Area looks good on paper. Close to Tetons as well.

Any tips would be great. Looking for a safe area, not too bad on bears, etc easy roads in and it appears a way from green lake to hwy 26?

Thanks
Not sure if this would work for you but Wind River Canyon is one of my Favorite drives - https://binged.it/2F8BoPM

Give it a try, think you will ave fun,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #6

FirstTracks,
Those are beautiful pictures--jealous that you get to go places I can only think about, and I lived in WY for 10 years....
My son/grandson have hiked around the Winds several times--just fantastic area.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
FirstTracks,
Those are beautiful pictures--jealous that you get to go places I can only think about, and I lived in WY for 10 years....
My son/grandson have hiked around the Winds several times--just fantastic area.
The Wind Rivers are indeed a fantastic area, and thank you for your kind words, wingnut60! Realize that virtually anyone can do what we did -- it's not a difficult paddle, and the road to Green River Lakes is passable even in a sedan.

This is of course an RV forum, but I'll still mention that my most life-altering kayaking trip was down the last 100 miles of the Green River (yep -- the same water as pictured above, just way, way downstream) in Utah in 2011, from the town of Green River, UT all the way to the confluence with the Colorado River within Canyonlands National Park. From there we were hauled along with our gear back to Moab via a jet boat, as there are no roads that reach the river for the last 50 miles and beyond the confluence lies Cataract Canyon, which is class 5 whitewater. That was an 8-day trip that absolutely cemented my love with the desert. For anyone who may be curious, this was my story from that trip:
Retracing Powell’s Paddle | First Tracks!! Online Ski Magazine
Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #8

Awesome photos and awesome posts!

Great scenery, much to look forward to! We have chewed a lot of the same ground, except I'm usually on a bike or hike. Green River must be a great scenic ride, seen it in Dinosaur Monument as well. Wife is sold on the area, she Loves Wyoming, was raised partly in Casper. Loves to fish. Couple years back we were camped out at Jackson Lake, she came back with 13 trout. Maybe this area will be as productive.

Might need to update the kayak tho, ..
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbigham View Post
Great scenery, much to look forward to! We have chewed a lot of the same ground, except I'm usually on a bike or hike. Green River must be a great scenic ride, seen it in Dinosaur Monument as well. Wife is sold on the area, she Loves Wyoming, was raised partly in Casper. Loves to fish. Couple years back we were camped out at Jackson Lake, she came back with 13 trout. Maybe this area will be as productive.

Might need to update the kayak tho, ..
We've rafted the Green down through Dinosaur. It's a great day trip.

Tags
advice, camping