Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Winter camping in Arizona

Looking for somewhere to take family camping this month in Arizona. Have a 38.5 ft toy hauler and usually go up on the rim in the summer. Looking for somewhere warmer this time of year to take family. I usually take the toys to Glamis in the winter but wife doesn't like the dunes. Anyone have some suggestions for spots to camp that we can take quads and side

Look forward to getting some suggestions from everyone.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #2

It's going to be hard to replace the thrill of riding the dunes of Glamis . One place I can think of is Quartzsite , you can camp anywhere out in the desert . I've only camped and explored around the Dome Rock road area and a little south. I there is lots more I haven't seen up and down that mountain range. The town is getting ready for the snowbirds and a little is already going on now as I just passed through there a week ago . I'm sure if you researched and snooped around you can find some areas to explore.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

I have never stopped in quartz site except to get gas. I was at glamis for thanksgiving. We want to camp somewhere we can drive side z side. i will look into quartz site. Anyone ever stayed Karchner cavern near Tucson? Can you camp and drive side x side
Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #4

I've Camped in their RV Park to take the Cave Tours but I don't think there is any riding from there that I know of. Been there a few times and never seen any off road vehicles there.
In Quartzsite I seen Side by Sides driving all over including the paved streets but I think they are licensed for that .
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

Lake Havasu is a great place to go and use your toys. We stayed at Lake Havasu RV Resort for a month last March and drove out of the resort with our Razr. Lots of trails and even some dunes down by the lake.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #6

Thanks for replies

Thinking Havasu or Kartchmer cavern in Tucson. Anyone got any feedback on Tucson
Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #7

Nobody has input on Tucson? Is Kartchner cavern a decent campground? Would you recommend somewhere else? Want to visit cavern and drive side x side. Just heard about Gardner canyon? Pretty close to border though. Hope to hear something back. I am a rookie winter camper and don't know the good spots.thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Theres Gardener Canyon, also colossal cave,kartchner cavern campground never stayed in them, but suppose to be nice to and there not that close to the border theres no worries there. Great places to ride around gardener canyon beautiful trails and mountains there the caverns are awsome to view.If you get really carried away you could visit tombstone. web site to view is-( AZ.state parks) you can find out more info. about caverns there. Ive road those hills on horseback for years and have never had any problems whats so ever .
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #9

Kartchner Caverns is one of the nicest State Parks, we have ever been to. Full hook ups and everything is very clean. We have been there 4 or 5 times over the past 3-4 years. That being said, never have seen any TH w/toys. If you don't bring the toys there is Tombstone, Bisbee, of course the caves, Benson and you could go to Tucson to see the sights.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #10

Kartchner is a nice place to stay but not for riding ATVs. As stated you'd have access to lots of interesting places like Tombstone and Bisbee. Tucson has lots to do and see. You can also try Catalina State Park for a nice place closer to Tucson. If what you want is to ride around in an ATV then Quartzite is probably best for you.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailer6334 View Post
Kartchner Caverns is one of the nicest State Parks, we have ever been to. Full hook ups and everything is very clean. We have been there 4 or 5 times over the past 3-4 years. That being said, never have seen any TH w/toys. If you don't bring the toys there is Tombstone, Bisbee, of course the caves, Benson and you could go to Tucson to see the sights.

I have been there to the caverns years ago with the kids when they were young on fieldtrips but never with the D/P glad to here they are nice hookups because wife has never been to the caverns beleive it or not only an hour away shes never been there guess i need to plan a trip for her to see them and take the rig huh !!!!!
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #12

Kartchner Caverns State Park is excellent - great campground and cave tours. However, there is no riding from the park itself. The area around Patagonia is good for riding and Patagonia State Park is excellent for camping. However, once again, you won't be able to ride from the campground. There are some boondocking areas around Wickenburg with excellent riding. Also, Alamo Lake State Park with surrounding riding. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Info from AZ State Parks about which parks allow Off Hiway Vehicles

Arizona Off Highway Vehicle Program: Home Page
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are co-hosts at a BLM campground just South of AJO, AZ. There is plenty of riding area . This is a boondocking area, but 2 miles from supplies, water etc. Beautiful area, lots of wild life. 15 miles north of Organ Pipe National Park. Lots of four wheelers ride the roads and back country for many miles. Check the map for area, called Gunsight Wash. 2 miles south of WHY jct. on Hiway 85, which goes to Puerto Penasco Mex. Good luck

Tags
camping, winter