Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Winter escape

Looking for a nice RV resort located between Brandenton and Port Charlotte, FL for a 2-3 weeks winter of 2016. We are traveling in a 43' motorhome with truck, motorcycle and kayaks. We prefer a concrete or brick pad but not required. Direct river access or access nearby would be a plus having the kayaks.

I have found several that look nice however they have age limits... 55+ we are not there yet...

We stayed near Crystal River this year and enjoyed it but found that the noseeum bugs were really bad. We would love to find a place that didn't have any (or very few) and warmer tempertures. Our preferred travel time is early February to mid March
pttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pttaylor View Post
Looking for a nice RV resort located between Brandenton and Port Charlotte, FL for a 2-3 weeks winter of 2016. We are traveling in a 43' motorhome with truck, motorcycle and kayaks. We prefer a concrete or brick pad but not required. Direct river access or access nearby would be a plus having the kayaks.

I have found several that look nice however they have age limits... 55+ we are not there yet...

We stayed near Crystal River this year and enjoyed it but found that the noseeum bugs were really bad. We would love to find a place that didn't have any (or very few) and warmer tempertures. Our preferred travel time is early February to mid March
Have you ever thought about Texas and the gulf Port Aransas comes to mind and what about Arizona, there are some nice lakes and rivers and lots of resorts with no age restrictions.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We have looked at Texas and the Gulf shore (Louisiana and Alabama) the temperatures are not quite warm enough for us. We are hoping to find average temps in the low to mid 70's. We are also looking to be about 20 - 24 hours from Green Bay, WI
Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you don't mind traveling another 30 miles south of Port Charlotte, then the CG I'm at (Seminole CG) in North Fort Myers might work for you. Next year's rates are $1200 per month plus electric. I believe it's $50 something per night. There are only RV's here (no park models)...roughly 130 sites. You need to make reservations now for next year.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Just find a place inland. We stayed in a campground with a month free stay in Crystal River a few years ago the noseeums were so bad we had to leave after 2 weeks. Even though the month was free we had to get out. We went inland 10 miles and all was ok.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Smile rv 43ft

try sun and fun in Sarasota exit 210 i think, half of mile from 75 and they have everything you need there.paul
pjkellrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkellrvers View Post
try sun and fun in Sarasota exit 210 i think, half of mile from 75 and they have everything you need there.paul
For some reason I thought Fun -n- Sun was 55+ am I wrong? Do you know how far to the nearest river or backwater access?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

Sun n Fun is about 10 miles from beaches or river. Linger Lodge is an old campground right on the Braden river with kayaks for rent and a boat ramp. Stay there quite often. It is older cheaper but quiet enough for us. It also has a restaurant if you like fried alligator.
mmiller48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:34 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
sarasota rv park

It's Sun and Fun and its not a 55 park. They have over 1,000 sites and you might get in? It is a few miles from Siesta key beach but worth the ride, Linger lodge might be better for canoeing/river but sun and fun is a great park for big rigs. paul
Old 01-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #10

We've not camped in the Port Charlotte area, but if you can put up with a location just a bit north...Wickam Park in Melbourne, FL is NICE and reasonably priced.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #11

Go west!!!!
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Has anyone stayed at Royal Coachman? Looks nice and on river...
Old 01-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkellrvers View Post
It's Sun and Fun and its not a 55 park. They have over 1,000 sites and you might get in? It is a few miles from Siesta key beach but worth the ride, Linger lodge might be better for canoeing/river but sun and fun is a great park for big rigs. paul
Thanks for the info... I looked at Linger Lodge and I have a phobia of snakes and looked at the gallery.... yeah that did me in. Sorry not going there
Old 01-30-2015, 06:23 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Smile royal coachman

I stayed at royal coachman 2 yrs ago for two weeks. They have a great pool and clean restrooms. The sites are different shapes and sizes but ours was a large site and its handy to stores and resturants, just a mile to tamiani trail(rte 41) i dont know about water access as we were busy looking for a home. Very nice park. Its an Encore park and a sister encore park is a few miles south off river rd. Ramblers Rest....fire and everywhere so we left for royal coachman. paul

Tags
winter