Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Wyoming Air Quality ??

Planning RV trip from Iowa to Wyoming for the month of September. With all of the wildfires to the West & North of Wyoming, some air quality issues have arisen for different parts of the state.

My wife & I have minor respiratory issues, occasionally using Albuterol inhalers (not often). Wondering if this plus the higher altitude might prove to be somewhat uncomfortable for us, or if we're just being too overly cautious.

For those currently in or have been to Wyoming recently, we would sure appreciate any recommendations. If it looks too rough, we can always schedule a different destination. Thanks in advance for any advice
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

We got back Tuesday from two weeks in the Tetons area. The air quality varied a great deal from day to day, and even changed a great deal in a single day all depending on which way the wind was blowing. The skies were much worse the first week compared to the last week. As a result, it's pretty much a toss up as to what you would encounter on any given day. It was about as good as it gets for the eclipse, which was all we were really looking for on this trip.
Searching_Ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

I live in Cody, WY and am a retired wildland firefighter.

It's hard to say what the air quality will be like in September. Cody has been smokey the last few weeks. The worst air quality has been to the north and west in Montana. Cody has been okay in my opinion.

I would say "go for it". Watch the weather for air quality. Research areas for camping (Pinedale ie; Bridger Teton NF, Warren Bridge, BLM) Dubois, WY that may be south enough to avoid unhealthy air.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Pat View Post
Planning RV trip from Iowa to Wyoming for the month of September. With all of the wildfires to the West & North of Wyoming, some air quality issues have arisen for different parts of the state.

My wife & I have minor respiratory issues, occasionally using Albuterol inhalers (not often). Wondering if this plus the higher altitude might prove to be somewhat uncomfortable for us, or if we're just being too overly cautious.

For those currently in or have been to Wyoming recently, we would sure appreciate any recommendations. If it looks too rough, we can always schedule a different destination. Thanks in advance for any advice
Plan for your trip but just have a good Backup - say the San Juan's in Colorado - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - might just enjoy the Aspen changing, and IMO it is as good as it gets to be there in Late September.

If a couple of storms roll through Wyoming everything could clear up in a week or so but if not you are Lucky there is just a Whole Lot of Country to see, and you do not have to drive 1,800 miles to see it.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Plan for your trip but just have a good Backup - say the San Juan's in Colorado - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - might just enjoy the Aspen changing, and IMO it is as good as it gets to be there in Late September.

If a couple of storms roll through Wyoming everything could clear up in a week or so but if not you are Lucky there is just a Whole Lot of Country to see, and you do not have to drive 1,800 miles to see it.

Best of Luck,
As a matter of fact, Busskipper, the San Juans is our alternate plan, and may soon be our primary destination. Seeing Aspens changing in late September sounds great. Might save Wyoming for next year. Thanks for the info!!
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Pat View Post
As a matter of fact, Busskipper, the San Juans is our alternate plan, and may soon be our primary destination. Seeing Aspens changing in late September sounds great. Might save Wyoming for next year. Thanks for the info!!
Look over Stan's photo album of Colorado might help in the planning - or just be fun to see so much of Colorado, in some Great Photo's.

Colorado Photo Gallery by Stan Parker at pbase.com

Best of Luck,
Old 08-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Plan for your trip but just have a good Backup - say the San Juan's in Colorado,
We're off to Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Durango, etc. tomorrow afternoon for a week of boondocking. Will post my usual TR.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
Just got back from the San Juans. We were riding OHV's in the high country and no signs of the leaves changing YET. Was still very beautiful and cool and relaxing.
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post
We're off to Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Durango, etc. tomorrow afternoon for a week of boondocking. Will post my usual TR.
Pull your Map out and locate a few great spots to Boondock along - here - https://binged.it/2eJk2gf

Long , long time ago before Dunton was sold they had just a Bar and a few Cabins with hot springs in them - those were the Days - Still some good Boondocking that I think you might like just up the Road.

Lizard Head will look good from the National Forest Trails.

Can't wait to see the Pic's.

Best of Luck,

Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Pull your Map out and locate a few great spots to Boondock along - here - https://binged.it/2eJk2gf

Long , long time ago before Dunton was sold they had just a Bar and a few Cabins with hot springs in them - those were the Days - Still some good Boondocking that I think you might like just up the Road.

Lizard Head will look good from the National Forest Trails.

Can't wait to see the Pic's.

Best of Luck,

[emoji144]....[emoji144]
Appreciate it, bud. DW, the pups and I are pulling off I-70 and boondocking along Ruby Ranch Road near Green River, UT tomorrow night to break up the drive to Telluride as I have to work all day. Then two nights in Telluride - first choice is Last Dollar Road, with Lizard Head Pass a second choice, and third and fourth choices in my back pocket just because it's a holiday weekend. Then one night in Silverton that similarly has plans A, B, C and D, followed by two nights in Hermosa Park near Purgatory. We'll wrap up with a visit to Mesa Verde on Thursday and a stop Thursday night in Wind Whistle near Monticello, UT before making it back to Salt Lake in time for next Friday night's X concert.

So yes, we're going against all advice and towing on US-550, aka the Million Dollar Highway. I packed an extra set of nuts just in case. Should be a fun week!

As we're stocking up for the trip, DW left for Wally World two and a half hours ago. This can't be good... Hopefully no open scales on our route! [emoji1]
Old 09-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post
Appreciate it, bud. DW, the pups and I are pulling off I-70 and boondocking along Ruby Ranch Road near Green River, UT tomorrow night to break up the drive to Telluride as I have to work all day. Then two nights in Telluride - first choice is Last Dollar Road, with Lizard Head Pass a second choice, and third and fourth choices in my back pocket just because it's a holiday weekend. Then one night in Silverton that similarly has plans A, B, C and D, followed by two nights in Hermosa Park near Purgatory. We'll wrap up with a visit to Mesa Verde on Thursday and a stop Thursday night in Wind Whistle near Monticello, UT before making it back to Salt Lake in time for next Friday night's X concert.

So yes, we're going against all advice and towing on US-550, aka the Million Dollar Highway. I packed an extra set of nuts just in case. Should be a fun week!

As we're stocking up for the trip, DW left for Wally World two and a half hours ago. This can't be good... Hopefully no open scales on our route! [emoji1]
You are going to be in the Middle of a Beautiful Area - No wrong decisions everything is just only issue might be finding that perfect space - Not worried about you on 550, piece of Cake.

Might need to start an Album for all the pictures.

Enjoy the Drive, and the San Juan's,
Old 09-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
You are going to be in the Middle of a Beautiful Area - No wrong decisions everything is just only issue might be finding that perfect space - Not worried about you on 550, piece of Cake.

Might need to start an Album for all the pictures.

Enjoy the Drive, and the San Juan's,
[emoji106]
Old 09-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #13

FYI we're in the San Juans this week and it's disappointingly smoky here, too.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #14

Don't travel to Yosemite I live down the highway from the South entrance and smoke for weeks here. Air tankers going back and forth dropping retardant. Another fire to the east just started Sunday. Come back in a month or so.

We even had the big DC-10 make drops, boy is that ever a sight to see that low!

Tags
air, quality