Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Wyoming for RVers

Johnny Cash once said, "I have been everywhere man". But, most RVers have not ...

So, I was thinking the other day ... Oh no, DW has that look that I know so well every time I get to thinking ... I told her, no really, I was thinking that RVers want to go and see places, but they don't much enjoy burning diesel just to get there ... So, I said to self, "Self, why not ask others at the irv2 forum for feedback before you start them engines ..."

So, what I'm looking to do is get feedback from others that are familiar with specific states to help snowbirds and sunbirds with their travels.

Since Wyoming is a favorite place for many RVers ...

What parts of Wyoming do you recommend for other RVers? ... What parts would you put in the category of not worth the diesel needed to get there?

I think, in time, we could build a database from threads like this for each state in the US, places in Canada, Alaska, etc.

DW says
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #2

My favorite place is Afton Wyoming, but be sure to get out before September because the shows flies early there, with the many places to dry camp and the quant little place in the center of the small darling town with full hook UPS, you will find a great place for your rig to rest while you go wondering ain't the 83 mile dirt road through the mountains, check out the springs that turn on and off, or just admire the breath taking beauty that surrounds you there, the people are all very friendly and there are a couple great restaurants. It is a must see place!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #3

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequrtzl View Post
My favorite place is Afton Wyoming, ...
It looks like Afton WY is surrounded by lots of beautiful mountains and lakes. You mentioned some offroading possible there. Any good dirt roads to take a Jeep Wrangler on a day trip to a lake/river in the mountains?

While offroading, any good places to boondock and park a large RV?

Intermittent Springs Afton WY:

http://www.wyomingtourism.org/

Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
It looks like Afton WY is surrounded by lots of beautiful mountains and lakes. You mentioned some offroading possible there. Any good dirt roads to take a Jeep Wrangler on a day trip to a lake/river in the mountains?

While offroading, any good places to boondock and park a large RV?

http://www.wyomingtourism.org/

Absolutely, we even took our f250 up a trail made only for 4 Wheelers to the top of the mountain, there are many dirt roads leading to waterfalls, lakes, and splendid views. There are also trails for 4 Wheelers, and horse trails. No matter what you choose for transportation you will most certainly find an adventure here.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
Johnny Cash once said, "I have been everywhere man". But, most RVers have not ...
As I had noted elsewhere, it was Hank Snow that sang the song...I've been everywhere....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I had to look this up ... I think Hank did the US version of the lyrics, for a song written by an Australian.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #7

Georgie Boy Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/wyomi...ng-166423.html
Old 05-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #8

Planning on going to Guernsey State Park Reservoir this year but don't hear much about it. Would like some comments on it though....
kamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #9

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamu View Post
Planning on going to Guernsey State Park Reservoir this year but don't hear much about it. Would like some comments on it though....
Guernsey State Park - Wyoming Travel and Tourism

Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #10

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Wyoming Camping

Camping & RV Parks - Wyoming Travel and Tourism
Old 05-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I like the hotel in Sheridan. Last time we were there it was closed.

Used to be owned by Buffalo Bill.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
We really enjoyed Sheridan, WY. We also visited Devil's Tower and Cheyenne. End of July they hold the Cheyenne Cowboy Days if you are into that sort of thing.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #13

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Guernsey State Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamu View Post

The Oregon Trail goes through the park, so if you're into 1800s history, it may be pretty interesting.

The Oregon Trail

With that lake at the park, if you bring a Kayak or Canoe, that would be nice.

If you do get to go, please take pictures and tells us about it here.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #14

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Time Lapse Photography - Wyoming

Nicolaus Wegner, on his time lapse photography in Wyoming

"It was one hell of a journey during the fourteen months making Wyoming Wildscapes II, my second and final Wyoming related time lapse project. Had plenty of adventures while working on this. Lightning almost got me a couple of times this summer, gear froze up in the winter (literally), and broke a few times (don't think most of the time lapse gear was meant for extended wilderness backpacking), all that fun stuff. Despite any minor set backs, this was without a doubt one of the most fulfilling personal projects I've ever undertaken. Saw some pretty amazing stuff along the way, this part of the country never ceases to amaze and surprise me."

Here is more from the artist on Wyoming, from his website

LightAlive Photography

Tags
wyoming