Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative49 View Post
This flatlander is looking for advice/recommendations for traversing the Rockies in a 38' Winne gasser pulling a CRV, in

Sept of 2019. We'll be

W bound after visiting the Winne factory in Iowa

thru the Badlands, with

West Yellowstone as base before heading

south thru Grand Tetons,

Jackson,

Utah,

AZ, etc.
First off Great time to do your trip - Some say be prepared for Snow - but only if you are Lucky (IMHO) - just be prepared for a Wide Variety of weather in all of the Locations you are planning to visit, but most of the time it Will be Great!

Winnie Factory - get in touch with them to see what they can do for you and What You can see and do while there - this could be up to 3-4 days depending on what you are interested in.

Badlands - Rushmore - Custer - Custer SP - Jewel and Wind Caves - Needles - Black Hills - be sure to allow as much time as you think you will need here - A week will Fly By, likely leaving you with a desire to have more time here.

I'd recommend heading to Cody BUT/AND, RT 16 will be good and Thermopolis and a Day Drive to/through Wind Canyon - Beautiful Drive - Cody and Chief Joseph Highway will be another good stop - Note that you have a Wal*Mart there and it is smart to stock up and be ready as once you get into Yellowstone and the Surrounds cost are Higher often Much Higher, so plan to be fully stocked when you leave here.

From Cody the Drive through Yellowstone is a great way to get into the swing of Yellowstone - will see lots and be able to plan lots.

West Yellowstone - If you do not enjoy the long lines and Rush Hour traffic - you will need to pack a lunch and start EARLY - lines at the gate form at 8:00 Look here for info - https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photo...ia/webcams.htm - scroll down to the West Yellowstone Gate Web Cam - Plan your day and then, when it gets crowded - Get out and Hike - few people do it, Hike - Real Boots and Bear Spray are necessary, wear a Hat and Sunglasses. Depending on your style you could also return early and Have your Adult beverage/Dinner and plan for the next Day - Keep in mind if you don't like the weather just wait as it often changes more than once in a day.

There is a Big Camp Ground in the Tetons - some even have electric so be sure everything again is filled and you are ready to do it in the Tetons before heading out through Jackson.

Now as you head down to the Utah Sights - keep Flaming Gorge - Dino NM - Colorado NM - RT 128 - in mind - lots here to see and do.

Moab info here - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm

Big note Here If it is now the last 10 days of September Think ASPEN in Colorado - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - IMHO this is special - No Really SPECIAL!!!!

October and November in Utah is Great - weather and crowds have ticked up and are great - Zion is still Crowded so plan that well - Moab is a Tourist Center so check it out and Plan around the events.

Monument Valley and Goosenecks are special as is Canyon de Chelly - Page has the Lake and the Slot Canyons.......Don't forget North Rim -

Tried to address all the questions - if you talk to the locals and express your driving concerns - IMHO they are generally the best source of info - I'm a Guy who just Loves the Mountains and ALL the roads - drove them in a Gas Coach and love them even more in the Diesel.

Hope this is of Some help,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #16

Nice write up above, so now what is the best time to be in yellow stone. we are kinda planning on mid to late June ,what you say.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #17

BusSkipper, now this is a “SPECIAL” review!
I’m back to the drawing board to squeeze some more in. Already at 64 days. Thank you all.
FloridaNative49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Richard and Busskipper, thank you both for the great advice. We've been to Yellowstone twice and now want to go back again.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
Nice write up above, so now what is the best time to be in yellow stone. we are kinda planning on mid to late June ,what you say.
Jay D.
Best is just plain Subjective - Your best and My Best are just different.

That said, IMHO, there is No Bad Time to be In Yellowstone - it manages to shine brightly in all the weather - every Month of the year - the one thing that makes it a challenge would be the crowds - But not sure that is ever going to Change as it, YNP, is what defines a National Park. Period...

Having been to the Park many times over my Life (I'm Old, first trip was likely at age of 4 )the best trip we have ever had to the Park was in Late October, Early November - Indian Summer - animals outnumbered people by at least 10+ to 1 (one), but even that is now hard to do.

So Go, go again and again it will never be Bad - the biggest thing I can say is to not expect it to just be within a few feet of the Parking Space - you need to get out - walk - Hike - talk to the Rangers they are just a GREAT resource if that's not possible then be willing to just go - not just inside the park but the vast areas that surround the park - there is just so much all around the Park - no- one can even begin to touch/see/explore even a small fraction in one season - Just Impossible.

So No wrong times - in Denver the kids are out of school on Memorial Day and so Labor Day might be the end for kids from the East, still people are coming and if the weather breaks to the Good side more will come - Just do what works.

Guess this has been a wasted exersice as not a bad time, the only bad thing is to Not Go, So Just GO!!!

JMHO,
Old 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Richard and Busskipper, thank you both for the great advice. We've been to Yellowstone twice and now want to go back again.
As we've been a number of times we have Never Left and not started to Dream about Returning.

I want to go back again SOON!

As I'm sure does the rest of the world. -

Glad I could help a little,
Old 10-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #21

I first worked in Yellowstone in 1972 and have never tired of going back. In fact, we just got back from an RV trip there 3 weeks ago. However, one attraction that no one should miss is not in the park, but in Cody. If you have any interest in Western history, art, native culture, or wildlife, plan a full day at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. It is hands down the best Western museum anywhere.

I second those who recommend the Coulter Bay campground/RV park in Grand Teton for at least a couple of nights. You will have incredible dawn views of the Tetons, can rent a canoe and paddle along the lakeshore, photograph the moose in the willow thickets, and have a meal at the nearby Jackson Lake Lodge while the mountains and lake are perfectly framed in its glass rear wall!

And, if you are headed south from Grand Teton, I highly recommend U.S. 191 through Pinedale to Flaming Gorge and the Uinta Mountains. The Uintas are the only completely east-west mountain range in the US. From there, you can continue south to Dinosaur NM and Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, and Zion national parks.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanrgs View Post
I first worked in Yellowstone in 1972 and have never tired of going back. In fact, we just got back from an RV trip there 3 weeks ago. However, one attraction that no one should miss is not in the park, but in Cody. If you have any interest in Western history, art, native culture, or wildlife, plan a full day at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. It is hands down the best Western museum anywhere.

I second those who recommend the Coulter Bay campground/RV park in Grand Teton for at least a couple of nights. You will have incredible dawn views of the Tetons, can rent a canoe and paddle along the lakeshore, photograph the moose in the willow thickets, and have a meal at the nearby Jackson Lake Lodge while the mountains and lake are perfectly framed in its glass rear wall!

And, if you are headed south from Grand Teton, I highly recommend U.S. 191 through Pinedale to Flaming Gorge and the Uinta Mountains. The Uintas are the only completely east-west mountain range in the US. From there, you can continue south to Dinosaur NM and Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, and Zion national parks.
- -

Don't think folks can be reminded enough about what is just Outside of Yellowstone that is Often Missed.

Beartooth
Cody
Madison River
Tetons

Had to drive in or out of Yellowstone on any road and not be surrounded with just the Shear Beauty and Wild areas of the Rocky Mountain West.

No Wrong choices unless you just don't Go.

Can't wait to get Back.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #23

THANKS Busskipper, great info
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, yellowstone