Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak70 View Post
We have always enjoyed our visits to Yellowstone although I've never driven Bear Tooth in an RV, it is a beautiful drive in the toad. Lot of folks do it though. I wasn't there but I'll give any benefit of doubt to the OP, she was there. I've had one bad encounter in a state park in Arkansas with a ranger who was insulting to my disability status, "you look pretty healthy to me". That one got a letter to the state capitol at the highest level and a nice response apology. Another in Texas from a state park service person when we checked in "you don't look disabled to me". I ignored it and spoke to a ranger about it - turned out the woman's son had lost one arm and two legs in service which still did not justify her words but did explain her feelings. It is sad that today some are certainly abusing the service dog role. It is also important to remember that some service dogs are really that even if you don't see a physical disability. My dog is just my big buddy and he provides all the support I need, he won't let me down but he is NOT a service dog and I do not claim him as one. I have seen it happen, know a person who owned a retired service dog, bomb sniffer, who claimed him as her service dog. Sad. He was not her service dog by ADA regs. All that said it certainly sounds to me like this was a service dog, legal. Sometimes you just have to take the good and the bad and don't let it spoil your visit to a place which is beautiful. Just keep in mind that you might and probably will or have met someone who could LOOK and appear normal but be 100% disabled by Soc Sec and the VA. All wounds are not visible but if you see me without a shirt (you won't) you might see differently. I dislike those who abuse the "system" as much as anyone else but it's not my job to judge who they are - thank goodness!
I went back through the thread to see if the OP had added more information for you to make the statement I highlighted in red above. I couldn't find any further information but the initial post and the only reference to a service dog was, "When we went in to register, they denied building entrance of my husband's service dog." So if a person declares they have a service dog and perhaps a vest, available at PetSmart, Amazon, and many other outlets, we should give them the benefit of the doubt? A first clue would be if the animal behaves and obeys. I know there's no certification or I.D. required.

https://www.anythingpawsable.com/how...is-legitimate/

YNP requires that service dogs be on a leash or harness and under control at all times. We have no information that even these simple rules were followed or why the animal was denied entrance.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
The CBS show "On the Road with Charles Kuralt" years ago named the Beartooth Highway as the most beautiful highways in America. Having been over it several times (in my toad). I have to agree. It is not an RV friendly road.
There are many warnings about trying to drive this road in an RV.
Beartooth highway is a beautiful road. We traveled that road [up] in a 33ft. motor home with similar motorhomes following us. However some of the wives weren't relaxed.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #31

Last summer, I volunteered at a national park (couldn't do it this summer due to knee replacement surgery) and we allowed service dogs, but you couldn't believe all the people trying to scam us to convince us that their pets were service dogs. That ruins it for people who legitimately need a service dog.

I have driven the Beartooth Highway, and I can say that it is one of the most absolutely beautiful roads I've ever driven (and I've driven a lot). I'd not take my 35' Class A on it, though.
BernieCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #32

Foretravel Owners Club
Just a note about true trained service dogs..
IF you are ever approached by a true vested service dog without its owner..
The dog is calling for help...ie: it's owner is down..
Read about this many years ago and this last month had it happen. followed the dog back to it's owner...and immediately called 911...dog did his job and the owner survived...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:14 AM   #33

Sorry it has taken me some time to circle back to answer. Been getting DH through his medical appointments and packing for another trip to where it is cooler. We try to spend only two weeks maximum here at a time during the summer. We are in AZ, it was 117 the day we got back home. Came in after sundown to avoid instant cremation by sunlight.
Bu (our service dog) wears his vest and leash when we are out and about. I agree, the 'comfort' dogs and large, aggressive dogs on basically tow chain leashes in the stores (literally, in our area) are making it difficult for actual service dogs and their owners.
When entrance is denied, we do not confront or question, as this will back-fire on you. All the employees have to say is we were 'confrontational' and our complaint is dropped because we were the issue. (experience of many with service dogs, we learn quickly to not to question or try to explain the laws) With no specific certifications, other than stating he is a service dog, we have nothing.
I have written to persons on the NPS website in hopes another service animal will not be denied.
My DH also does not have a visible disability. He looks like a healthy guy using a rolling walker.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:59 AM   #34

It appears that the question is how your husband could control the dog when he was using a walker.
I have had to use one 4 times with joint replacements. When I was using one there is no way I could have controlled our 15 lb furry buddy other than picking her up which I could not have done with the walker. Yellowstone in particular is very sensitive to dogs because of the wildlife so they have a legitimate concern about unleashed dogs. My point is that the walker is a handful by itself. Adding a dog on a leash makes it a moving problem for both the dog and master.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:29 AM   #35

Bu is trained to walk beside either side of the walker, and stay out from under foot and wheels. When we stop walking, we tell him 'wait' and he sits or lays down, patiently waiting for us to signal we are going to move again. His leash is short enough to lay over the walker handle and and my husband holds it under his hand. We focused a lot of his training on use of the walker.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It appears that the question is how your husband could control the dog when he was using a walker.
I have had to use one 4 times with joint replacements. When I was using one there is no way I could have controlled our 15 lb furry buddy other than picking her up which I could not have done with the walker. Yellowstone in particular is very sensitive to dogs because of the wildlife so they have a legitimate concern about unleashed dogs. My point is that the walker is a handful by itself. Adding a dog on a leash makes it a moving problem for both the dog and master.
I doubt your dog is a service dog. All real service dogs do not pull at a leash and are controlled via voice or hand motions.

I am glad a formal complaint is being made to the NPS. Sadly this is probably the result of ESAs being passed off as service dogs.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdechaine View Post
Bu (our service dog) wears his vest and leash when we are out and about.

...With no specific certifications, other than stating he is a service dog, we have nothing.

I know that this is a contentious issue for many of us that have seen massive abuse of people trying to use pets as "service dogs". That being said, can you answer the following questions when asked;

1. Is this animal required because of a disability?
2. What work or task has this animal been trained to perform?

As to "certification"

CERTIFICATION AND REGISTRATION

Q17. Does the ADA require that service animals be certified as service animals?
A. No. Covered entities may not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal, as a condition for entry.

[NOTE] There are individuals and organizations that sell service animal certification or registration documents online. These documents do not convey any rights under the ADA and the Department of Justice does not recognize them as proof that the dog is a service animal.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I doubt your dog is a service dog. All real service dogs do not pull at a leash and are controlled via voice or hand motions.

I am glad a formal complaint is being made to the NPS. Sadly this is probably the result of ESAs being passed off as service dogs.
I am well aware of the qualities of a service dog vs a normal pet. My point is that they NPS has a point about requiring leashes in a place like Yellowstone. Given that somebody in a walker cannot control both a dog and a walker.

There is also the basic issue that the dog may not be the aggressor in a conflict in a place like that. Aside from all the fake service dogs it's still a bad place to be with a dog. Some of the wildlife consider them potential dinner.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
The OP was denied entrance to a Campground Office, not a restaurant or grocery store. If the dog was behaving as told, the only reason I can see for denial is the issue of a leash. Couldn't the wife handle the registration? It's not right, but abuse of the service dog claim by pets is a real issue, and as others have said, YNP is a wilderness area. Fishing Bridge is in the area bears come to feed on trout in the river and require only hard-sided campers.

I suppose the park could be made more RV friendly with more blacktop, but then that takes away from the wilderness and there'd be no point to going to YNP, you could just go to a zoo.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
While bonafide service dogs do have some different rules than just a basic dog, comfort or plain, all dogs in YNP are required to be on a leash. Simple to comply, then no complaint!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Service dogs wont pull on a leash or need to be physiclly controlled. They are very very well trained and behaved. Dogs that would pul or not follow instructions would never make it beyond the 12 or so months of puppy training in order to move on to become a service dog.

Everything about service dogs is amazing to me but it still blows my mind how easy it was to train them to use the bathroom on command even as 4 month old puppies.

OP described the reaction i have come used to seeing from owners of legit service dogs when challenged. They usally dont make a scene, they dont throw a fit. They will quietly speackk to someone in charge and often will follow up later with a phone call or email and more often than not the point is to educate so that others using service dogs ater wont be denied entry. Contrast that to a lot (not all but way to many) therapy or emoitional suport dog owners who tend to want to make a scene and create a disruption when it is pointed out that thier pet is not allowed.

I have found it to work out well to just tell people pets are not allowed. Service dog owner will tell me it is a service animal (odds are i already know from observing the dog and owner) and all is good, Sometimes just because i am interested and so that i am fair to all i will ask what what the dog is trained to do for them. ESA owners will often get defensive and try to make a scene and try to lecture on ADA and what not while fluffy is in thier arms barking or maybe on a leash just being a dog smelling everything, greeting people, getting tangled up and such. Yeh service dogs dont do that stuff and if they do it might be time to retire the dog and get one that is trained proper.

A tour of a location where guide/service dogs are raised and trained is interesting. I know there are locations all over the US that have tours. Worth doing for anyone but even more so for those who do volunteer or workamping and have to ( i mean get to lol) deal with the gen public to get some insight on what goes into training these amazing dogs. https://www.guidedogs.org/campus-act...-walking-tour/
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #42

This thread is a great read and I'm glad I did....our family is tossing the idea of a trip there next summer. We were planning on staying at Fishing Bridge but being as that will be closed, what other RV places are great to stay at? We will be traveling in a 40 ft Newmar diesel pusher. I am in the trucking business so challenging driving doesn't scare me.
Charles27909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone