Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Yellowstone disappointment

We just returned from a long anticipated trip to Yellowstone, and are very disappointed. We stayed at Fishing Bridge RV Park. When we went in to register, they denied building entrance of my husband's service dog. #1 complaint with the park service.
The restroom and showers are not handicapped accessible. My husband is too tall/broad shouldered to use the shower in our View with any comfort, so he used the park shower. He could not get his walker and his body in the small stall at the same time. The 8 inch deep bench seat was way too small for him to sit on. He managed to get his shower seat and himself in the shower area, but it was very tight. This was complaint #2 with the park service.
The 30 amp plug was faulty, so I dog boned to the 50 amp. Reporting the 30 amp plug issue, I was told "Yeah, it's been like that a while."
Driving through the park I was amazed at how RV unfriendly the park really is. The parking lots we were not banned from at the shops/sites are so small it was great training in vehicle handling for me. We have had our View less than a month.
All the money that park pulls in, I would think they would be much more current in their maintenance and accommodations.

Best part of the trip, I took 212 north out of the park. Beartooth Pass, 11000+ feet, no biggie. Beautiful views, high cliffs, horrible winds. I never want to see that road again and I want a T-shirt for making it over alive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

So did you see geysers, hot springs, big hairy mammals? Fishing Bridge is very dated as an RV park. If you had gone up to Canyon or one of the other campgrounds you might not have had full hookups but they do have more modern showers($). Most RVers stay in West Yellowstone at some of the best RV campgrounds in the whole region. About the only place RVs and most cars have parking issues is at Tower Falls. Parking in larger RVs is often around in back or to the side, it might require more walking but you can usually drop an impaired person off and then go park. I've never had an issue anywhere else in the park. Yellowstone was the World's first National Park and it does still suffer from lack of modernization for contemporary vehicles.

A bit of research before travel might have given you warning of the Beartooth Highway, it's rather famous as a rugged route. My first trip out of the park in 1982 was on that route in a 1974 former school bus. I was in low gear for many miles! I've returned more than 35 times since and loved every minute in the park.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Was there ANYTHING you enjoyed on this trip? Yes, Yellowstone is a busy place and not really made for RVs to explore. You would have been better off with a smaller vehicle on the busy roads.
Beartooth Highway is one of the most scenic roads in all of North America. Last year we stayed in 3 weeks Red Lodge and drove the Beartooth Highway every day to a different trail head. I love driving that curvy road.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am sure that you know the regulations and definition of service dogs.

I hope that you scream loud and long to the NPS as well as the vendor that denied your DH entrance.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #5

We saw many wildlife and humans that don't pay attention. I would like to say it was amazing how many people got out of their vehicles and approached the bison; but, 30 years of nursing, I already know the stats.
I will say I was impressed with our View in going through Beartooth. Climbed like it was not as big as it is. I did learn to do research before going on our next venture. Have been reading the forum for roads and routes. Bought a paper Atlas and am highlighting in red the roads I do not want to take in the future. LOL After the adrenaline subsided, and a few glasses of wine, Beartooth really was an amazing once in a lifetime beautiful drive. Better in a little car, but amazing beauty.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #6

Another note here Fishing Bridge campground is scheduled to be closed all year in 2019 for major renovations
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Another note here Fishing Bridge campground is scheduled to be closed all year in 2019 for major renovations

Starting in September of this year!!!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:52 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

If you plan to do any future sightseeing I would get a toad. RVs are a relatively new innovation and our parks have been around many, many years. I would also get some of those body wipes so you don't need to worry about the shower problem. For your next RV make sure your husband can fit into the shower, just put it on your check list with verything else when you are looking at RVs.

Also, additional research is needed so you know what to expect and what to avoid. The information is out there.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I am sorry you had a bad time in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I do think that some of your experiences are due to bad planning/lack of information. Fishing Bridge is widely reported to be exactly what you saw. There is a reason the Park Service is rebuilding it. Sightseeing with an RV in the park is also widely reported to be exactly what you found, especially in the busy summer season. And Beartooth Pass is a beautiful drive, but few people recommend it for RVs. As for your husband’s service dog, if the dog was a legal service dog(not emotional support), the Park Service needs some more staff training!

I hope you go back another time and enjoy what the park has to offer.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We loved Beartooth Pass but not in the MH!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #11

What was the reason given of the "no service dogs"? The web site states they are allowed.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...iceanimals.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
What was the reason given of the "no service dogs"? The web site states they are allowed.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...iceanimals.htm
I'm wondering if the service dog was identified as such with the harness collar, etc. I've known and worked with many NPS rangers and workers and I find it hard to believe that a properly identified service dog would be denied entry, especially if told what the animal was. I'd like to hear the 'rest of the story.'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm wondering if the service dog was identified as such with the harness collar, etc. I've known and worked with many NPS rangers and workers and I find it hard to believe that a properly identified service dog would be denied entry, especially if told what the animal was. I'd like to hear the 'rest of the story.'
X2 Exactly. Not saying this is the case here in the least and please don't take it that way but the whole "service animal" practice has been ruined by those who abuse it just to get their pet access to places where they really may not need to be or by those who claim a need for a service animal when there really isn't a need. Makes it hard for those who really do need them.

I would start with letters and phone calls to the State Senators and Reps. Then to the Feds. It will only get better if those who have valid complaints speak up.
Dad always told me:
(God helps those who try to help themselves"
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Many people confuse the terms “service” dogs vs. “comfort” dogs. Yellowstone’s rules are very specific about what is allowed and what isn’t.

Don’t know if that’s the case here, but just a thought.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone