Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #1

Yellowstone South Entrance Campgrounds

Hi we are looking to travel to Yellowstone in July, traveling from the Denver area. I am looking at options for campgrounds with hookups near the south entrance. I am unable to get into fishing bridge campground as all the large sites are full. I have a toad for commuting into the park.

May consider traveling the extra distance to Grizzly on the west side if its that much better of a location?
Thanks!
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Grizzly is a nice campground, but I prefer the ones in YNP or Grand Teton. Colter Bay has full hook-ups, but is usually full. Another campground is Flagg Ranch, just south of the YNP South entrance. (Reviews aren't too good, but the location is) Better get reservations, they fill up quickly. Gros Ventre ("Grow Vant") is south of Moose, close to the Jackson Hole Airport. It doesn't have full hook-ups but I have flown into Jackson in mid summer many times, grabbed a rental car, and camped there. All the other campgrounds in GTNP can be full, but Gros Ventre still has plenty of room. Also, a former KOA, Grand Teton Park RV Resort, is located on US 26 just east of Moran Junction about 6 miles. They take reservations and have a nice view of the Grand Teton Range.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
South of yellowstone is tough.
West yellowstone is easier, there are a number of nice campgrounds there, not just grizzly.

note it's not unreasonable to drive though yellowstone from the south, stop at old faithful, continue to madison junction and out the west entrance, all in the motorhome, not too tough at all. MUCH easier than trying to do teton pass to get out of the valley.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

Just be aware. If it's Yellowstone that you want to see, you'll be doing a lot of driving. In and out will consume time.
Grant Lasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
note it's not unreasonable to drive though yellowstone from the south, stop at old faithful, continue to madison junction and out the west entrance, all in the motorhome, not too tough at all. MUCH easier than trying to do teton pass to get out of the valley.
Agreed. we exited that way. We were able to find a parking space (even pulling a toad) at Old Faithful. Then on out the South and onto Teton.

Very beautiful drive. It was a great day.
Grant Lasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #6

We are considering staying at Colter Bay RV Park in the Grand Tetons. Want to have access to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. How long of a drive is it into Yellowstone from there (by car)?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
From Colter Bay, its about an 40 minutes to the south entrance. (45 mph speed limit) From the Entrance to Old Faithful is 39 miles, or about an hour according to how many BHM (Big Hairy Mammal) Jams you run into. Going from South Entrance to Lake, then on to Canyon, Its about 59 miles, but there's lots to see on the way, West Thumb Geyser Basin, Mud Volcano, Hayden Valley (Bison Herd) Etc.
Also, a feature not on any maps or official guides, there is a great swimming hole on the south end of Firehole Drive. This drive is one way, north to south, so the parking and swimming is near the end. Great place, water tempered by runoff from geysers and hot springs upstream. Also the only hot springs you can enter with Ranger's OK is the 'Boiling River" on the road to Gardner from Mammoth. The parking lot is on the river side of the road right at the 45th parallel.(Halfway between North Pole and Equator)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #8

BFlinn181

The drive doesnt sound too bad. I will definately hit the swimming hole. Thanks for the tip, the kids will love it!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed at Flagg Ranch in Sept, 2011. Only 20 amps. did lots of power management.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

We stayed at Flagg Ranch summer 2010. It only has 20 Amp but we enjoyed our stay. There is a river right behind the campground and we were able to see animals almost every morning and night. Only negative for us is that we did not have a mosquito tent to eat under. We stayed in the back sites close to the river trails in a 40' with no problems. If you want campground with out the outdoor feel I would go to Grizzly outside the West gate.
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #11

WildIrishMan - I'm also in the Denver area and headed to Yellowstone this summer but we're going the last week of June - July 4th. We're going up through Thermopolis and entering at the east enterance near Cody. I can't remember exactly where we are staying (DW is the details person - I just drive where she tells me). We were able to get reservations in the park but we made reservations months ago. We're exiting at the south entrance and staying in the Tetons for a night, then heading back to 5280. I'll try to write a trip report while we're there. Look for my posts the last week in June.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad
WildIrishMan - I'm also in the Denver area and headed to Yellowstone this summer but we're going the last week of June - July 4th. We're going up through Thermopolis and entering at the east enterance near Cody. I can't remember exactly where we are staying (DW is the details person - I just drive where she tells me). We were able to get reservations in the park but we made reservations months ago. We're exiting at the south entrance and staying in the Tetons for a night, then heading back to 5280. I'll try to write a trip report while we're there. Look for my posts the last week in June.
That drive to thermopolis through the Wind River Canyon was a highlight for us as well as the Hot Springs. For those going this way , don't miss it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #13

Yellowstone and Teton

Planning our first trip west. Planning to vision Tetons and Yellowstone . My route will be from Cody,WY throught yellow stone south to the Tetons for 4 or5 days then through the Teton pass up to the west end for 5 days to enjoy yellowstone . I have a 34ft sightseer with toad. Any comments from experienced area traverlers?
Acropilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #14

Hi Wild Irishman
You will have a great time. Book the Colter Bay RV campgound ASAP. In my opinion, it is the best of all that were mentioned in the other posts. Great views, full shade, good space between each site. Of the two national parks the Tetons have the best views. You will see bears and bison in both. WE did a lot of driving in the toad but who cares when every turn is a memory. WE stayed in Fishing Bridge and did not like the mud and the packed in feel of the place but it was more convenient. We also stayed outside the north entrance of YNP at a place called Yellow Stone Edge for a week. It was more convenient to the attractions at that end and was not crowded. But it was 32 miles from the entrance in Emigrant Montana. Their web site has a live web cam and you can see the place. I wish I was going back this year.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote