Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

Yellowstone to Cody, Wy?

We are trying to plan our next move of this trip from West Yellowstone to Cody, Wy pulling our 23 foot travel trailer. My question is, is it feasible to make the drive through the park on the southern route? On the map it looks doable but looks can be deceiving.

Thanks, Phil
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

That is not a difficult drive and you should not have any problem there.

If you are not in a hurry, try going out the NE park entrance on hwy 212 through Silver Gate and Cooke City. Then turn south on Chief Joseph Highway (hwy 296) and hwy 120 to Cody. This route is a lot longer, but far more scenic. Crossing Dunraven Pass inside the park will be fairly steep, and there are some steep sections on Chief Joseph, but i have never had any trouble pulling my 5er over that route.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. Today we are going into the park for the first time and then we have 4 more days to explore. After Yellowstone we will be off to Mt Rushmore.

Thanks again, Phl
Old 05-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We usually travel from Cody to W. Yellowstone and it is not a bad ride. I don't think it should be anymore difficult going East. You do go up to 8600-8800 ft. but it's a nice ride. I personally wouldn't go out the NE entrance towwing; it would be a nice side trip with your truck.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #5

We did go out the East entrance and it was a spectacular drive. I thought the Grand Canyon was my favorite spot until we came to Yellowstone. Two more days to Mt Rushmore!

Phil
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were up there last year and thought the East Gate to Cody was fine for an RV going out. We were not pulling but I always look at it from a RV point of view and thought it would be OK. Going out the climb is more gradual and a lot more down hill than going in that way. I though it would be fine for my Class A.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #7

I took that route 2 years ago and thought it was great. There were no difficult turns and the road is in good condition. I went to Cody to get my frig repaired but stayed a week because we loved the place and the scenic highways that meet there. Have fun. I wish I was joining you.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikes View Post
We are trying to plan our next move of this trip from West Yellowstone to Cody, Wy pulling our 23 foot travel trailer. My question is, is it feasible to make the drive through the park on the southern route? On the map it looks doable but looks can be deceiving.

Thanks, Phil
Went out the east entrance last year in a class C. Going up and over the mountain was exciting to say the least.
Did not have a problem using tow-haul coming down. Of course the V10 was screaming going up.
They were repaving the road so we just took it easy.
The ride from the east exit to Cody is a great ride. There's another park right out of Yellowstone that's almost as interesting as the NP itself.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #9

We made the reverse of your trip last spring. What a great drive.
tyandow is offline   Reply With Quote