Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #15

We stayed at the KOA in Midpine in 2009. We had a TT so getting around the park beacause we could disconnect. Parking was an issue, even in mid Oct.

As I recall, there was a tour or shuttle availabe from the campground, maybe it was a public bus. There is also a bus system within the park. Call a couple of nearby parks and see what they recommend.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
Rent a car. The reasons are too numerous to enumerate. A convertible would be perfect for Yosemite.
Let me modify this a bit. Because of the crowds, we haven't visited Yosemite during the peak season in decades. The last 2 visits were absolutely incredible - during the winter, after snow storms, when travel required our full-time 4x4 Grand Cherokee Overland or chains. On those trips we stayed once at Lake McClure, another at Mariposa fairgrounds, both of which have hook-ups. I'd forgotten about the shuttle system within the park. You don't want to be driving your RV in the valley anymore than absolutely necessary. 41 is a must see to fully appreciate the geology of the park, but not by RV. Definitely use 140 to go into the park.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrock View Post
In mid June we will be traveling from San Fran to Yosemite in our 39Ft Providence. DW +4 other adults friends from overseas. We will be staying outside the park at Westlake Campground in Coulterville on Highway 132. We should be about 23 miles from the park entrance. We will not have a toad. Can we drive in the park with a MH? Is there a closer camp site to the entrance where we may pick up some public transportation? Any help ideas are appreciated. We only have a day so somewhat limited on what we can see. Appreciate any help. Thx
Since you only have a day to enjoy Yosemite I would not take the 39' RV but would drive there in your car (if it holds 6 adults) to Yosemite and visit the park. Leave early in the morning, get there by 9:30 - 10:00 am and enjoy the park. Get hotel rooms and relax for the evening. Drive back to SF the next day and maybe stop off at one of the foothill communities for lunch.

In mid June Yosemite and RV parks will be a ZOO!!! I've up there when it's been so busy I couldn't find a parking spot for a car, let alone a 39' RV. We've also been turned back and were not allowed to drive into the valley cause there were too many cars there already!

Yosemite is 190 miles from SF. I live 70 miles East of SF and wouldn't take an RV through Yosemite for only 1 day. If your car won't accommodate 6 adults then rent a mini-van or something. Just my 2 cents ...
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Marty,

Like everyone else said, beg, barrow or steal a car! You may be 23 miles from the entrance to Yosemite but realize all the action is on the valley floor. Google Maps will show you that its about 1.5 hours drive from Coulterville to Curry Village. Hit some traffic and it could easily be two hours. And that's with a car. With a MH, you would have to drive Rt. 49 down to Mariposa and then take Rt. 140 in through El Portal. Definitely a 2+ hour ride to the valley floor.

I have done all the routes into Yosemite with a 40-foot MH so they are all doable. But I stayed in North Pines for a few days and used my bike or the shuttle to get around.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
Rent a car. The reasons are too numerous to enumerate. A convertible would be perfect for Yosemite.
Best advice. And go EARLY because everyone seems to go in June although it always seems that way no matter when in the summer we have gone. It will be a mob scene on the valley floor, count on it.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know about where you will be staying, but there is a shuttle bus service from some locations outside the park, you might check with your rv park. Once you are in the park, they have their own shuttles to get you around; you would not need a car in the Yosemite Valley.