Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2019, 08:39 AM   #1

Yosemite Road Length

We are hoping to be one of the few people to get a site inside the park for a few nights in July. When poking around a bit I feel like I'm getting conflicting information about restrictions of RVs coming in. Our travel trailer is 33' bumper to hitch and our truck is another 20' (53' when hooked up and driving) and roughly 10' 3" tall. I keep seeing things about a 45' restriction as well as some height limits. IF I am able to get a site inside the park, will I be able to get there? We'll be coming from Sequoia Nat'l Park so any route recommendations would be appreciated. Also, it seems like if we're outside of the park we'll have an hour drive to get in and out each day. In the likely event that we don't get a site inside the park, are there any campgrounds outside of park that seem to rise above the rest?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #2

Take Hwy 41 into Yosemite and stay at Wawona campground. It doesn't have as many trees as some of the campgrounds. Yosemite is a horrible experience to drive into the main busy areas with an RV. It's our least favorite park because of the crowds. Parking is awful for a car.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wawonacamp.htm

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/ca/wawona/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:43 PM   #3

July in Yosemite is the pits, checkout High Sierra RV and Mobile home Park in Oakhurst Ca just 17 miles from the park entrance on Hwy 41. I would make reservations now for July.
01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #4

I was thinking that IF I was able to get a site at Lower, North, or Upper Pines campgrounds that we'd be able to avoid a lot of the need to drive since we could take the shuttle around. Would this not be the case? When I've stayed in other national parks (Yellowstone, Zion, etc) I found it to be an enormously huge benefit to stay inside and close. While driving an hour each way can be done, I'd rather spend my time hiking rather than driving. I suppose this is why Yosemite has become a bit of a lowlight for people.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #5

We entered the Park from the south entrance, without our 5'er. There were a lot of low hanging trees, trees encroaching on the side, and one kinda small tunnel.
Once we were in the Park and took a look around, I don't think I would want to pull a trailer in the Park.
We stayed in Coursegold. I think it took about an hour to get to the Valley floor. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180528_143700.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	271271Click image for larger version

Name:	20180523_172141.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	271273Click image for larger version

Name:	20180524_120436.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	271274
Old 01-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #6

Google “vehicle restrictions to Yosemite Valley”. Read them carefully to determine if your rig can travel to the Valley using Toute 41 from the south, Route 140 from the west, or Route 120 from the north. Based on my experience, one is at great advantage camping at the Valley vs camping outside the park. I did it for two weeks in May when the waterfalls are at their peak. If you do decide you can travel there, one must be ready five months out to make a reservation. On the date/time that the reservations window opens. When we performed it, we had two laptops and were lucky. All sites were reserved in fifteen minutes. One thing you can expect, it is highly likely there won’t be enough room at your site for both your large TT and truck. You may have to park truck in a parking lot. Not that big of a deal because you will probably use the shuttle bus once on site. Good luck.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
In the likely event that we don't get a site inside the park, are there any campgrounds outside of park that seem to rise above the rest?
Just saw your post... If all else fails, Mono Vista RV Park is in Lee Vining on 395. IIRC, the RV park is less than a mile from 120, which goes to the East gate of YNP.

Nice little RV park...we used this park as a base to visit YNP and surrounding area. We visited the ghost town of Bodie, Jeeped some of the old stagecoach roads(pumas) and explored around Mono Lake. We could have stayed for a couple of weeks, but were chased out by other reservations. Mono Vista is reasonably priced, well maintained and the staff friendly.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is online now   Reply With Quote