Originally Posted by HighDesert
If it were me - I'd make the reservations, and IF it turned out we could not go, bite the bullet and eat the cancellation fee. Getting reservations at these parks in, or in close proximity to the National Park will be like pulling hens' teeth - you cant find them. JMO.
Same here. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to find a site. As for boondocking, I, personally, would not. The average daytime temperature in Moab in July is 99 degrees. Nighttime is 65. If that kind of heat is a problem for anyone in your group be sure to consider campgrounds with, at least, electric for A/C.
Good luck with your trip - hope you're able to go and you have a wonderful time!