Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Zion NP's Watchman CG 12'6" Height Advisory

We'll be heading to Zion NP in Sept. 2021, and based on info in various forums, I'll be looking to get a site for three nights in the Watchman NPS CG. The concern, however, is the 12'6" RV height advisory they advertise. I'm 12'10" and 36' long. I called the park office yesterday, and they actually told me that they set the height as 12'0" at the RV pads. It's possible the person I spoke to misunderstands, or is mis-informed, but either way, my 12'10" seems to be an issue. For those of you who've camped there previously, is this height advisory something I need to take heed of? I don't want to rip anything off my roof.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I've stayed there a few times with my 40-foot Class A and had no trouble with height. There are trees on some of the sites but I must have steered clear of any low ones. I think I stayed on the A and B loops. You can use Google Maps to get a satellite view of the sites.

Your bigger issue is if you arrive from the east and go through the tunnel. You have to pay extra to have them close the tunnel so you can drive right down the center line as the lane height clearance is too low.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:10 PM   #3

Here is the Zion web site which should confirm your questions. Scour it thoroughly as it gives good information on things to do, camping, special alerts, road conditions, maps, etc.

As to Watchman campground... we've stayed there with our 40' motorhome with no issue. The web site states 'treed sites as 12'6". We had trees on the side of us but I guess they weren't that close as they didn't interfere with our size.

The tunnel has a limit of 13'1" and we also were able to drive through it. For big rigs they stop traffic and allow you to drive down the center. The sides are shorter. There's a charge for doing this. Depending where you're coming from there are 2 other ways to get to Watchman without using the tunnels. One from I-15 and Hwy 9. The way we enjoy as it's a pretty ride is from Fredonia, AZ taking 389 which becomes UT59 to Hwy 9 then east to Springdale.

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...mel-tunnel.htm

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/ut/watchman/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:01 AM   #4

I'll just add, if you DO choose to avoid the tunnel with your rig (and I would avoid it if I was over height), make it a point to drive back that whole road for sightseeing. It is breathtaking.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #5

We chose to use the tunnel when leaving and heading for Bryce. It was fun. Cost only 15$ and cut a chunk of miles and time off of the trip.
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, all, for your responses. My initial intro to the campground was via a YouTube video (actually two separate ones) by the RVGeeks in their tag axle DP. But those videos were made a while ago and I was concerned this advisery was something new.
As for routing, I'll be heading there from visiting friends in the Salt Lake area, so will be entering from the West. After that, we'll be heading to the North Rim CG at the Grand Canyon.
I look forward to any other inputs regarding Watchmen or any other aspects of visiting Zion NP. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
As for routing, I'll be heading there from visiting friends in the Salt Lake area, so will be entering from the West. After that, we'll be heading to the North Rim CG at the Grand Canyon.
I look forward to any other inputs regarding Watchmen or any other aspects of visiting Zion NP. Thanks.
So you'll be entering and leaving via the 2 routes I mentioned above.

I-15/Hwy 9 to get there and 59/389 to go to North Rim.

Definitely while in the park drive the tunnel route with your car. Beautiful!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
So you'll be entering and leaving via the 2 routes I mentioned above.

I-15/Hwy 9 to get there and 59/389 to go to North Rim.

Definitely while in the park drive the tunnel route with your car. Beautiful!
Yes, for sure. Really looking forward to exploring Zion.