Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:49 PM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Starts me to thinking...is it really worth the hassle to get a site and put up with the crowds? I think we will just find someplace else to drop anchor.

Ken
Like your way of thinking!! Go where no one as gone before....
Oh, that's a different subject!
Be where its lonely!!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2022, 06:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Starts me to thinking...is it really worth the hassle to get a site and put up with the crowds? I think we will just find someplace else to drop anchor.

Ken

This is what makes the dry camping area the best, as per the pics above.

Get up, put the coffee on, step outside just as the first wave comes up over the trees. We have always done one morning down on the launch field. Best to do mid week. Far fewer crowds.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:30 PM   #17

For these folks: Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, Retired Military, 0-100% DAV, Purple Heart Recipients, Former POW, Veteran Caregivers, DoD Civilians, Sponsored Guests. Read this Article on Authorized Users
Consider staying at Kirtland AFB. They run a shuttle bus 2X a day, early morning, then early evening. Shuttle cost used to be $2/person round trip.
Riding the shuttle made the day much easier, and no fighting congested traffic, shuttles have an express lane to themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Balloon fiesta 2009 068.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	363069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balloon fiesta 2009 071.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	363070  

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70-5 View Post
Is there a way to get on the waiting list, did not see anything on line.
Yes, there's a wait list. You sign in as if you're going to purchase tickets and there's a place to be put on the wait list. I just saw this in the Q&A section.

We stayed in the dry camping area which is a wonderful place to see the balloons. The free shuttle runs constantly to take you to the field or the walk isn't bad. Pump outs and water fills are available.

We volunteered for a crew of helping a balloonist. Great experience and got a very long ride as a thank you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
Reservations for this year's Balloon Fiesta opened at 9 am Central Time. I logged on at 2 pm Central and there's *no* reservations left - zero! I even checked day by day and there aren't even any available spots for the weeknights, such as just Tuesday night or just Wednesday, etc. We camped at the Fiesta twelve (?) years ago and I'm sure we reserved our spot only a month or so in advance. My bad for not being online right on time but didn't realize that they now go that fast!

Question - assuming many of the spots were taken by the organizers of groups and tour companies who will resell the spots - which groups are the most likely to have taken the hookup spots? I'm aware of FMCA, Good Sam, Escapees, etc. but assume they take the cheapest sites. Appreciate the knowledge of those more experienced [emoji144]
We were there last year with our grandkids. That was our 6th trip to the fiesta.
One big change they made, was to take a few hundred of the previously existing RV sites and turn them into auto parking! I asked the officials at the RV park, and they told me that they had no voice in the matter and didn't like it either. I guess the city stepped in and confiscated the sites.
I was on the waiting list last year, but got a email with the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:09 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2022 ABQ Balloon Fiesta

Quote:
Ken
Not for me. I went to the Fiesta twice, I think it was ‘75 and ‘76. I worked for some people in ABQ at that time. Very informal, held in a big open area beside I-25 a couple miles north of I-40. Now they have their own special venue, then everyone just found their way up the dirt road and parked, balloonists, crew, visitors, everybody. Seemed like a lot of balloons but it mighta been less than 100 in those days. My friend and I were in my POS ‘63 Econoline van so one of the crews asked if we could help their chase crew. COOL!! We said “what’s a chase crew”? Had a great time those years, but anymore I avoid crowds like that.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote