Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Going to Hershey

Hi all;

We're heading up to Pennyslvania and New Jersey in late August and September to do some geneology stuff and we're going to spend a couple of days at the Hershey RV show. I've been to the Tampa Supershow several times and always have wanted to go to the big show in PA.

Any recommendations on a good place to stay as I believe advance reservations are in order? I have the CG books, but just looking for input. Thanks.

After Hershey and the ancestry search, we're heading on up to New England and possibly the maritimes as long as the weather holds.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
We're heading up to Pennyslvania and we're going to spend a couple of days at the Hershey RV show.
Bob, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding me!

Wish you could come to Myrtle Beach in October!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

Is your ancestry search also in the Hershey area or is the visit to the RV show a seperate stay?

If seperate, you could try the overnight "dry" camping at the show. It's limited but it's very convenient. Hershey High Meadow (there is a very active train line) is the closest but may be full already. Have you seen the campground link (Campgrounds) on the show website?

Semper Paratus
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Mike; Yes sir, I'll know just where to look; even saw the location on the show's map on the computer. The wife and I would like to come to MB this October and I've nearly made reservation on more than one occasion, but the uncertainty of our travels to PA, NJ and the northeast have stopped me from firming up plans. Still may make it.

Bob, our ancestry search is going to take us to four or five areas in PA and one in NJ. We're going to access the records at the state capitol in Harrisburg, and the campgrounds near there would be convenient to Hershey as well as Harrisburg. I think I'll firm up some dates and reserve at the High Meadow CG. Funny thing that you mentioned the active Norfolk Southern (ex PRR) rail line near the park. I've been a railroad nut for most of my life (next to RVing, of course) and could put up with the noise. Beside, we could run on over to Lancaster and revisit the PA railroad museum, Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse on the Strasburg RR. Oh, did I say something bad?

Semper Paratus

Bob
Old 08-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #5

The Hershey high meadow campgrounds are really nice, BUT for some reason the trains that run along that line have alot of flat wheels. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, and they almost purposely blow the horns at High Meadow. Still a nice park.
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Bob,

Hope you do get the chance to go to MB Rally, would be good to see you again! Last time was at your Brother Rick's wedding! Sorry to say I have lost contact with him, have not seen or heard from him in a few years now! iF I remember right I heard he was now in Lyndhurst,NJ??? Have a great trip!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hi Al;

Very good to hear from you. Rick is alive and well, still working and living in Lyndhurst. He's renting an apartment in the section of town called "The Hook" not to far from the Lyndhurst Diner. If you are familiar with the town, you know where it's at. The last time I saw my bro was last November when I showed up for his his surprise 50th birthday party that his DW threw for him. It was a great time and we all killed way too many brain cells that night. I have to be careful, because I don't have all that many of those brain cells left and the liver gets really upset with me.

After Hershey and our geneology activities, we're going to try to visit NA and Lyndhurst and environs, spend some time with Rick and pay respects to my mom and dad's graves over in Kearny. Oh, and make my much anticipated stop at Rutt's Hutt! PM me Al if you care to.

Bob
Old 09-03-2010, 04:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
By all means call High Meadow, I got reservations in June and I think they were almost full. Good Luck!
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Try Thousand Trails Hershey off of Mt Pleasant Rd & Rt 322 I think they now allow non members in, 20 minutes from the show. Have a ripper at the Rutts Hut and cheesecake at the Lyndhurst Diner
Old 09-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hi GG1, I see you are one that has good taste! The cheesecake is terrific and the rippers are to die for. In fact, one can feel your blood vessels closing up as the dogs are devoured. I call them "wellers" and just love to sit at the bar and down a couple of wellers, fries with gravy and a draft or two, while watching the New York Football Giants on the TV. The Jets if the Giants are not on.

I really like your name "GG1. As a train lover, my two favorite engines are the Pennsy K4 Pacific steamer and the famous Pennsy GG1 electric. In fact, a photo the the G is hanging on the wall of my motor home as it races down the NE corridor in Jersey.

Bob
Old 09-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastie: I grew up in a very small town in SW PA where the B&O, and the P&LE trains rans through.
Why are they called the New York Football Giants?? The SF Baseball Giants have beeen there (SF) for 50 years. Howard Cossell is still alive!! (LOL)

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastie,, I even tried to get a lic plate for the motorhome that said GG1 but the DMV would not allow it, they said that #1's are reserved for officials (and crooks)
Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Kerry, no doubt about it...the baseball giants are long gone as are dem bums. So, I suppose calling the NY Giants the NY Football Giants is just a force of habit or maybe a wish for the good old days. The fact of matter is that both the NY Giants and the NY Jets both play in Jersey now, in the same stadium. I grew up almost within sight of the Meadowlands complex in North Arlington. Great place to be "from!"

Isn't it the truth that the number one is reserved for our revered public officials. I guess you could ask for something along the lines of "GG-one."