Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #1

NASCAR race camping for 1st timer

We are retired and wanting to take the MH to a NASCAR race in 2022. Just the wife and I.
I’ll share cocktails with pretty much anyone but not interested in drunken debauchery. We do want to sleep at night.

Darlington and Martinsville are easy drives and both tracks have 2 races each.

Would love to get folks thoughts, feedback and suggestions on camping with our MH at one of the 4 races.

Remember - this will be our first time camping at a race. TY
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #2

I can't help you with your two choices as I've never been there. I have been going to Watkins Glen for over 25 years and we have a really good time. W G has over 5,000 campsites and it gets full pretty fast. We have the same site we have had for nearly 20 years reserved for 2022.
There are some loud parties at times (yes we have participated) but when 11:00 PM comes around it's quiet time and it's enforced. There is an abundance of security there and they aren't bashful.
Site prices vary depending on how close to the track you want to be. The most costly are in the infield while the lowest cost sites are in what they call the family section. You are apt to see most anything there so if you're faint of heart I recommend spending a few bucks more and move away a bit. Of course I don't know if this applies to your choices of tracks.
We have made some long lasting relationships camping at the Glen and I'm sure any other track would provide the same. We have something in common or we wouldn't be there to begin with. We've been called "Rednecks" but I wear that badge proudly. After all I am a NASCAR fan and have been since I went to my first NASCAR race in Syracuse NY in 1956. I was a really young country boy back then.
I do have a friend who goes to Darlington each year at least once and he still has all his extremities if that helps you any. He really enjoys it there.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:55 AM   #3

I would imagine camping at every track is set up a little different.

Before our daughter was born, DW and I went to Texas Motor Speedway every year in April.

First couple times (being clueless) we parked our rig out in the "unreserved camping area".
Which is basically a big field.

As we gained experience we moved to the reserved camping.
There are no hook ups and everyone has a generator running.

However, there is a fleet of pump trucks and non-potable water trucks constantly combing the area.

The unreserved area did get kinda rowdy as the sun went down but not in a dangerous way.
Most folks are just "weekend rednecks" wanting to have a good time and enjoy the experience.
Never saw a single fight or had a run-in all the years we went.

The reserved area was only slightly calmer.

Made many friends and a lot of great memories.

Here's couple pics from one of our first trips in our ALJO (I miss that little rig )
I hit it off with those two guys as soon as we got there and palled around with them the whole time. ...that one dude coulda' been a stand up comic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Texas Motor Speedway 003.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	345953   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Texas Motor Speedway 007.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	345954  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Texas Motor Speedway 024.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	345955  
Old 10-13-2021, 06:06 AM   #4

Do people use this with their generator? (I kinda remember some NASCAR tracks require the use).

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Gen-T...4126621&sr=8-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
.....As we gained experience we moved to the reserved camping. There are no hook ups and everyone has a generator running....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #5

Some may use these. I have one for my on board generator but I don't use it. I don't run the on board generator at the Glen. I use my Honda 2000's. I haven't paid that much attention to whether others use the Gen-Turi but as far as I know there are no rules requiring one.
The folks who camp next to me have a smaller TT and they pitch a tent for the kids right behind it which ends up right next to my generator exhaust. I wouldn't run the on board for that reason. I don't want to harm anyone from the fumes or have them get burned on a pipe. Besides the Honda's are quieter and more fuel efficient.
When we get up in the AM we take our showers and go outside. I've never run an AC while at the Glen. If I was just going to sit around inside all day I'd stay home and save a whole lot of money. There is a row of about 20 Porta-Potties about 50 yards from my site. I don't even have to go inside my coach to go (whatever).
We did have an issue a few years back though with someone running a generator. My son was parked right next to me and there was a new coach parked right behind his trailer real close. The fellow in the coach was running his on board generator 24/7 either watching TV or running the AC's. My son woke up in the middle of the night and was sick with a headache and an upset stomach. When he got out of bed he awoke others and they were also becoming sick. They went out side and I woke up when I heard them all choking and gagging. I dressed and went out to see what was going on and that's when we realized the window in my son's camper was almost directly over the coach's generator exhaust pipe. I banged on the door of the coach and the owner came to the door and wanted to know what was going on. I told him and he said, "Close your window". To say I was livid would be an understatement. I immediately informed him if he didn't shut his generator off he'd be buying a new carburetor in the morning because I was going to smash his into oblivion. My son and my grandchildren were in that camper. He grumbled a bit and when my son came around to the door I guess the fellow realized he'd better oblige. My son is a pretty good size man in pretty good condition and he was not happy. My wife already had security on the phone and they had a crew on the way. Security had a couple words with the fellow and I had walked away. I don't know or care what was said but within just a few minutes the fellow was packed up and pulled out of his site. I have no idea where he went. Maybe home.
Medics were sent over but no one needed attention. Luckily my son woke up before it got real serious.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #6

For the Darlington Race a good place to camp is
Trackside Camping,
330 Tunnel Rd.,
Darlington<SC 29532

It is right outside of turn 4 and is a short walk to the track. When I used to go ,this is where I camped. They have some with hookups and some without. I suggest calling this year for races next year as sometimes they sell out .
Have fun
jlewi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewi15 View Post
For the Darlington Race a good place to camp is
Trackside Camping,
330 Tunnel Rd.,
Darlington<SC 29532

It is right outside of turn 4 and is a short walk to the track. When I used to go ,this is where I camped. They have some with hookups and some without. I suggest calling this year for races next year as sometimes they sell out .
Have fun
Awesome - great info! TY
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:23 AM   #8

I did a race trip to Watkins Glen.
The camping was nice, the noise was ridiculous.
Once and done for us.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, camping