Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Events & Gatherings
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #29

Talking to one of the transportation people, Syracuse had to alter a ordinance for us to stay at the mall. Again the rally has had difficulties but Syracuse deserves a thank you for their hospitality.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree, and a big thanks to the sheriffs department who worked harder than anyone here.

I took a ride by the mall, amazing how many units are there
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
After reading all of these posts, it totally supports my opinion and belief that RV Rally's are not my cup of tea.

I guess I am just not one of those to be first bullied around and then put out into a pasture to be parked next to an idiot the complains before I even have my slides out.

I will stick to my travel plans which include seeing as much of the USA & Canada while my health will still allow me to enjoy the scenery and smell the flowers.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film
After reading all of these posts, it totally supports my opinion and belief that RV Rally's are not my cup of tea.

I guess I am just not one of those to be first bullied around and then put out into a pasture to be parked next to an idiot the complains before I even have my slides out.

I will stick to my travel plans which include seeing as much of the USA & Canada while my health will still allow me to enjoy the scenery and smell the flowers.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I'm with ya you Richard - but not to close mind you.

I look at the ads every year and read about the rallies in the mags. I see the entertainment offered and I feel like I'm a kid again watching the Lovely Lennon Sisters at grandmas. I am getting older - and I know many of us are in our late 50's - 70's+ but I'm never going to be in the Lawrence Welk generation.

I know I'm opening myself up for the big flame - but what is the initial appeal? Many of us don't care much for CW - we get the 10% off at places that are probably 10% more than they would or should be without discount cards - and they always look like big crowds for little return. And big crowds of Motorhomes - most of us don't care too much for that either. I don't get it at all. Help me understand. I don't want to miss something - are they ever worth it?
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #33

We came in the afternoon of the 13th an were directed to the mall for parking. Everyone parked themselves and considering it was all impromptu they did a great job, leaving space for slide outs and awnings and exit lanes. Considering the condition the rain had left the fairgrounds we felt lucky to be at the mall. All pavement, level, lighted, and patrolled. By the morning of the 14th they had shuttle busses set up and arrangements for mobile water, sewer, and trash services. Arrangements were also made for refunds for the people who, like my self, signed up for an electric site but wound up at the mall. Weather has been cool so that really didn't matter much.
There have been some whiners here at the mall but the vast majority of people have taken it in stride and are quite happy to be out of the mud and water. We have all been out in little groups in the evenings talking and swapping stories. I've met some wonderful people so far.
I personally think the organizers did a good job considering the hand they were delt by Mother Nature. This was our first rally and will not hesitate to go to another one.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My first and last GS Rally was Phoenix last Spring. We didn't have weather problems anything like you are experiencing and it was reasonably well organized. When it was over I realized that what I enjoyed most was the vendor areas. A ticket to just that was only $10/day. MUCH cheaper than what I spent. Now I find a nice boondock spot and take the toad to the venue to see the vendors.

GS and CW have become so commercial that it leaves a bad taste in my
mouth. I quit reading the magazine, it's just ads for CW disguised as stories.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All rallies seem to have the same vendors. 90 percent of the informational seminars are vendor driven... they are just a sales pitch to buy products and not always objective. Most of the junk you can get here, you can buy cheaper online. Camping world is always much more expensive than anyone else.
FMCA is the same in this regards to a large extent. They use to have more craft or member driven seminars in FMCA but , probably due to and aging and shrinking membership, this has not been the case lately. I can't speak for Good Sam as this is my one and only rally I have been or will go to.

I have go to an IRV2 rally, which I think I would find more to suit my taste. More people oriented I hear based on someone I was talking to near me here at the rally. More games and involvement.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
My first and last GS Rally was Phoenix last Spring. We didn't have weather problems anything like you are experiencing and it was reasonably well organized. When it was over I realized that what I enjoyed most was the vendor areas. A ticket to just that was only $10/day. MUCH cheaper than what I spent. Now I find a nice boondock spot and take the toad to the venue to see the vendors.

GS and CW have become so commercial that it leaves a bad taste in my
mouth. I quit reading the magazine, it's just ads for CW disguised as stories.
Boondocking does not work so well on the east coast as areas are few and faaaar between.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #37

Having attended over 40 rally's over the years. I find it very interesting that rally organizers do not look into what would happen if bad weather happens. I have seen it with all different organizer groups.
Don't get me going on trains.
I have to give credit to location promoters. Most have been promoting their locations for years and know what happens when they have bad weather. Yet still try to sell their location as the best place to have a rally.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #38

My opinion of the large rallies can be summarized as ... they are just too big! The organizers try to make the venue contain a bit of something for everyone but by virtue of that most rally attendees are exposed to a lot of stuff they don't care about.

Solution? Small, theme specific rallies. Easier to organize and far more flexible in case of inclement weather. Keeping it simple may just be the best advice when it comes to entertainment too.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
My opinion of the large rallies can be summarized as ... they are just too big! The organizers try to make the venue contain a bit of something for everyone but by virtue of that most rally attendees are exposed to a lot of stuff they don't care about.

Solution? Small, theme specific rallies. Easier to organize and far more flexible in case of inclement weather. Keeping it simple may just be the best advice when it comes to entertainment too.
Of course the problem with that is that the smaller you are the less vendors and technical people want to show up as they feel it is not worth their time any money on small groups.
Like many things I feel the answer is not easy.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe the answer is no more rally's. After all, who are the ones that are benefiting the most from these rally's nowadays? Yep, the organizers, promoters and the vendors, certainly not the attendees.

If they would get back to the basics and benefits that the rally's had provided many years ago, there would be more people attending and less complaining.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Boondocking does not work so well on the east coast as areas are few and faaaar between.
True but NY and some other NE State Parks don't provide much service. So it can be like boondocking with friends.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1. Stuff happens, "Breathe in Breathe out move on ..." (J. Buffett)
2. If you don't like the way an organization is being run get involved at some level and make a positive change.
3. Not all volunteers are created equal, some do a better job than others.
4. Not all handicaps are visible, not everyone understands that.
5. If you are not part of the solution you may be part of the problem.

Our first big RV rally but we have attended and volunteered at several large Motorcycle Rally's, volunteered as campground hosts and appreciate the difficulties in making it pleasant for participants.

I do not mean to offend anyone.

flame suit on.

Larry
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally