Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2021, 06:23 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Way to many hours a day on the road. I doubt that you will leave Fort Smith, travel through OKC and make it into Tucumcari in one shot keeping the misses and kids happy, thats 550 miles.

What kind of vacation is it for kids to spend it in the car?
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2021, 06:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Way to many hours a day on the road. I doubt that you will leave Fort Smith, travel through OKC and make it into Tucumcari in one shot keeping the misses and kids happy, thats 550 miles.

What kind of vacation is it for kids to spend it in the car?
Might just be Great - especially if they have time when they get to where they are going - the 2000 miles from NC to the Southwest is a long drive - No Easy Way.

I too often say don't try to do too much on a trip - but once you commit to the drive - Just Get it Done - some kids do better than others in the Car, I've got a feeling they will be fine.

I was reminded of this when My son loaded his 4 girls in the car and did Denver to Grasonville in 4 days close to 2,000 miles and started at 4 in the afternoon on the first Day - -

The Kids Survived - and were happier here than being on the road another Day or two or three.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:01 AM   #17

Thanks again, very valuable insights shared, and we appreciate it.

We off road a good bit, tundra TRD pro with 10 ply ridge grapplers. On most trips we take a few off road 1/2 day trips. But the one for north rim I saw was like 90 miles, good bit of time required. We may just go in the main entrance being that we only have one day to see the GC.

As for miles, I actually scaled this trip back a bit, goal was 500 miles a day. Last Aug we did Custer state park, badlands, RMNP, and Gunnison at blue Mesa reservoir. 600-800 miles a day going and coming. The kids did fine, but this trip I thought we would slow down a little. Wife is a registered nurse, time off hard to get currently, so this will be our only big trip this year. We left NC and spent night two in South Dakota in August, so this slower pace in July should be even better.
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route