RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #43

Lot's of Good advise - puppy info is something you should really Look Into, Really Think about.

Dog and National Parks are a No No as far as going with you on the trails ans into sights..........Also Leaving the Dog in the RV is a NO No as you are gone all day.......Oh, no problem we'll just come back and take him/her for a Walk - Traffic is real you may not be able to get back....

Think About your Pet and IMHO (Had a Dog all our lives and am speaking from experience) the Dog, part of the family, will be much more comfortable with the Inlaws for 6 weeks.

I cannot overstate this as to how it will affect this Wild and Great trip, Need to give this a Hard long Thought.

JMHO,

Just one more thing to get factored into this Epic Trip.

Think and understand your drive times also may need more thought, as you make these plans - Mountains speed will rarely exceed and average of 30-35 mph so instead of hours of driving you might list the miles need to drive. IMHO, your drive times are Extreme, as to way to Short, than you will find in Actual Experience., just give that a little more thought.

Often you will not average 15mph in the National Parks as you will be with Thousands of your new Friends.

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #44

I probably should have tempered the rough itinerary with drive times with some more thought and discussion beforehand. This itinerary was out together in about an hour with knowing where we wanted to go. Drive times listed were a starting point to start understanding how far things are spread out for my wife. We do realize actual drive times will differ and adjust based on traffic and where we actually stay. We will fine tune that as we continue to fine tune the itinerary. This is why i tried to allot a full day of travel And camp set up even with drive times listed as 4.5 hours. This gives us the full day to drive, shop, and set up camp but still gives us an idea of how far it actually is (or should be). We know a listed 4.5 hour drive is going to be roughly 200 miles for us even if it takes 8 hours.

rockcity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #45

One caveat that has not been mentioned, is that you can encounter strong head winds heading East across the top. This will require adjusting your fuel stops.
coachmanjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #46

One thing we did when we had kids to deal with was to go to our furthest point first, at the beginning of the trip when everyone is fresh and raring to go. Once at the furthest point then you have the entire time that is left to start wandering back. The benefit to this is that you are closer to home when it is time to go back and therefore have a shorter drive.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #47

Going to the furthest point ks a great strategy. However all of our short list places are Grand Canyon, up to Moab and up to YS. All are about the same distance from home in NC. Because the baseball game we want to see is the Red Sox play in Chicago, that is date specific. We’ll head west from there towards YS. Will likely stop in St Louis and a couple other places once we get the majority of the route figured out.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
Going to the furthest point ks a great strategy. However all of our short list places are Grand Canyon, up to Moab and up to YS. All are about the same distance from home in NC. Because the baseball game we want to see is the Red Sox play in Chicago, that is date specific. Weíll head west from there towards YS. Will likely stop in St Louis and a couple other places once we get the majority of the route figured out.
Let's see if I've got this right - we are now working with 6 WEEKS!

For all intents and Purposes the tri[ begins after the 19th in Chicago at the Baseball Game

Start of Trip is the 20th of June in Chicago -

Then 2 days to drive 950 miles to Custer/Black Hills/Rushmore - Long -Long - Long Drive. Oops - wrong - 1100 miles as a stop? in Nebraska? Now a three day drive? Remember 50 MPH is a good day........

Then you have this as 15 hours to drive 1100 miles .....not sure this is possible in a 40'er and a toad - 73 MPH average - -..........not even in a Sports Car!

Thinking this needs a lot of serious thought. You have a Great trip Planned - but the Planning needs to be realistic.....can you get 600 miles driven in a day - Sure just it is a REALLY Long Day! If you just plan on Driving then you will be fine ... but to see things....you need to be Realistic in the plan.

Sorry not trying to be a wet Towel here but........IMHO you need to be realistic in the expectations and the Mission of this trip.

If it is Yellowstone NP - Utah couple parks - Grand Canyon - then home it might be possible but you really need to think about How you plan on getting from Place to Place - most of this is Non Interstate and you will be lucky to average 35 MPH once you reach the West and the Rockies.

You need to stay where you visit, then Travel in and Around these parks is Very Slow - between the parks is not fast but is faster than in the Parks.... just still not real Fast.

One more quick point here - most 4x4 driving is done earlier in the season than July in Utah - Why? - It's HOT - Really HOT in Utah in July - 115 degrees is not unusual, actually is almost the Norm! So if the 4x4 if part of the plan you may want to slide into Colorado to not only get off road but to see some Beautiful parts of the Country - Suggest looking at the Alpine Loop as an alternate trip to look into - https://www.google.com/search?q=alpi...h=510&biw=1094

So Much to See and Never enough TIME.

Now you can just drive through and not stop to Touch and Experience the Parks and possibly meet your schedule..... but you just need to get this into something Realistic.

I'm just trying to be a Voice of Reason here.......... hope this helps,

Work on the Plan and the Mission as it is really a lot to try to put into one trip, even in 6 weeks.

JMHO,
Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #49

Remember if you are towing you are probably limited to what speed you can travel. Also, most of us use 50 mph avg that includes stops for pretty much everything. Plus the kids are going to get cranky. There is a limit to how long they can keep themselves busy and buckled up.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #50

Yeah the drive from Chicago to YS is ambitious. The first itinerary posted was trying to cram everything into 30 days. It is now 6 weeks instead of 4, so we have some more time to work with.

I updated the overall trip some last night given the new timeline and things are working out better. We actually make a few stops on the way to Chicago, like at Mammoth Cave! And we plan to get to Chicago a day early to enjoy the town with the kids. Most of the western stops will be parks and wilderness, so we are going to use Chicago as an opportunity to get some urban adventures tackled. They have a lot of cool museums and climbing parks around, so the kids will enjoy that. They are climbers and love science, so there will be plenty to do in Chicago and really, the entire trip.

The adjusted timeline puts us in YS/Teton area on June 30 for the girls’ birthday. We don’t want to travel on their birthday so we are trying to have that either at Dino NM or YS/Tetons. I think YS/Tetons is better because we will want more time there.

Yes it will be hot in Moab. I’m not opposed to heading to CO for a day’s trail riding in the Jeep. A friend of mine lives in Denver and trail rides a lot. So I’m goin to utilize his local knowledge of the area and trails. He will be joining us on that trails ride as well as a few more folks he knows.

After I fine tune the trip a little more, I’ll post it up. I think everyone will see it taking shape and getting more realistic with drive times and extended days at our stops.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #51

Another thought...

Does anyone worry with total combined overall length of their RV and trailer/toad? I think NC DOT laws max is 65’ but I think I saw other places that some states were less. A 40’ RV that really measures about 42’, tow bar at 4’, then the 4 door Jeep, we are pushing our limits real quick. Does anyone ever worry about it or get stopped and questioned?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Yeah the drive from Chicago to YS is ambitious. The first itinerary posted was trying to cram everything into 30 days. It is now 6 weeks instead of 4, so we have some more time to work with.

I updated the overall trip some last night given the new timeline and things are working out better. We actually make a few stops on the way to Chicago, like at Mammoth Cave! And we plan to get to Chicago a day early to enjoy the town with the kids. Most of the western stops will be parks and wilderness, so we are going to use Chicago as an opportunity to get some urban adventures tackled. They have a lot of cool museums and climbing parks around, so the kids will enjoy that. They are climbers and love science, so there will be plenty to do in Chicago and really, the entire trip.

The adjusted timeline puts us in YS/Teton area on June 30 for the girlsí birthday. We donít want to travel on their birthday so we are trying to have that either at Dino NM or YS/Tetons. I think YS/Tetons is better because we will want more time there.

Yes it will be hot in Moab. Iím not opposed to heading to CO for a dayís trail riding in the Jeep. A friend of mine lives in Denver and trail rides a lot. So Iím goin to utilize his local knowledge of the area and trails. He will be joining us on that trails ride as well as a few more folks he knows.

After I fine tune the trip a little more, Iíll post it up. I think everyone will see it taking shape and getting more realistic with drive times and extended days at our stops.
On the Right Track;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	agree-1289418_960_720 thumb Up.png
Views:	4
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	275127  
Old 02-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #53

Quote:
Another thought...

Does anyone worry with total combined overall length of their RV and trailer/toad? I think NC DOT laws max is 65í but I think I saw other places that some states were less. A 40í RV that really measures about 42í, tow bar at 4í, then the 4 door Jeep, we are pushing our limits real quick. Does anyone ever worry about it or get stopped and questioned?
I've got 250,000 miles at 65' all over the country you will be fine -
Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #54

Quote:

The adjusted timeline puts us in YS/Teton area on June 30 for the girlsí birthday. We donít want to travel on their birthday so we are trying to have that either at Dino NM or YS/Tetons. I think YS/Tetons is better because we will want more time there.

Yes it will be hot in Moab. Iím not opposed to heading to CO for a dayís trail riding in the Jeep. A friend of mine lives in Denver and trail rides a lot. So Iím goin to utilize his local knowledge of the area and trails. He will be joining us on that trails ride as well as a few more folks he knows.

After I fine tune the trip a little more, Iíll post it up. I think everyone will see it taking shape and getting more realistic with drive times and extended days at our stops.

Thinking, if you are not Boondocking you had better be getting some Reservations, SOON.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #55

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good to hear the advancements in your planning efforts. It takes a while to get all this stuff right for YOUR family. After a couple of longer trips you will be seasoned RVers and understand what does and does not work for you. We can only give opinions based on our own experiences. For the most part many experienced RVers tend to do many things very similar for good reasons.

It will work out for you, just do it and build memories.
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #56

We travel a lot but this will be our first long RV trip aside from an occasional extended weekend trip.

We have no knowledge of these areas and parks, so I’m taking the advice of many of you in this trip as you have done it before. We will do things differently but there will be a lot tbat is similar and the same. Without any knowledge of certain areas, I have to put trust into something or I’m going in blind. So, I’ll put it in you good folks because, we share the same passion and desires and why not utilize the good wisdom of others that have already experienced such?

We are pretty seasoned travelers and adventurers, but with this being our first big RV trip, I can’t help but think it’s going to turn into a real life version of the movie “we’re the Miller’s”.