Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #85

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The good, bad and ugly side of things.

With some of the travel restrictions in place right now, there should be far fewer Chinese visitors hitting Yellowstone and other NPs. At least until those restrictions are lifted. I'm not picking on any group of people or passing any other judgement, just there are a lots Chinese at some of the NPs in tour groups. I also see smaller number of many other Nationalities at the NPs.

The bad, you might want to plan on having some protective gear (masks) with you when in the big crowds. Visitors are from everywhere. Also have portable hand cleanser with you. At least IMO. Of course by then then all of this virus stuff might be cleared up or we could be in a real mess. Who knows.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #86

WOW! Took a look at your itinerary. Lots of long driving days.

I am dotting the i's & crossing the t's for our trip. We have 105 days. We start & return to the Eastern Shore, Chesapeake Bay. We won't even cross the Mississippi & the trip is 6000 miles & looking rather full with things to do & see.
Triangle Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #87

I actually thought about the possibility of lesser crowds due to travel restrictions. We should be well protected as my better half is a FNP.
rockcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post

With some of the travel restrictions in place right now, there should be far fewer Chinese visitors hitting Yellowstone and other NPs. At least until those restrictions are lifted. I'm not picking on any group of people or passing any other judgement, just there are a lots Chinese at some of the NPs in tour groups. I also see smaller number of many other Nationalities at the NPs.

The bad, you might want to plan on having some protective gear (masks) with you when in the big crowds. Visitors are from everywhere. Also have portable hand cleanser with you. At least IMO. Of course by then then all of this virus stuff might be cleared up or we could be in a real mess. Who knows.
A very good point you bring up. 2 Years years ago, when we did the GC and utah, we saw bus loads from China. They were all over, sometimes making me feel like O was in a foreign country. I didn't mind, as I know how amazing this country is, but at times it was scary. I was hiking at Bryce and there was a Chinese lady, hiking down the trail (very scary trail) in high heeled shoes. I tried to tell her that she needed to wear better safer shoes, or she might kill herself. She just looked, smiled, and kept going. It was very unnerving.
cathib007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:39 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post

I have been thinking the same thing. While at Niagara Falls last October the tour buses from China were everywhere. There is a good article from CNN about how to prevent getting this. It is basically the same things to do if there were a bad year for the flu. We leave in 6 weeks for our 3 1/2 month long trip.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
Fireside in the Valley was about the only RV options available around the Tetons now unless I stayed right in Jackson. I’ll keep looking around and see if I can find some BD options or even some cancelations. So, At least we have a place to stay with hookups, etc.

Yeah, I’m an extreme skier. Odd for someone that lives in eastern NC but I grew up in the mountains and would use my season pass to ski nearly every day after school. Carry my skis with me to school and head straight to the mountain once the last bell rang (and sometimes earlier when I could sneak out!). And I love the backcountry skiing and guided cat or heli skiing. So Jackson is right up my alley. Done my share of it, just not at Jackson, mostly because it’s so expensive to get there and stay. And now with a family, we stick to mostly Copper or Keystone that is easy to get to and affordable and great for families.

I do love me some Alta. Great place.
Tahoe is probably one of my All around favorites followed by Heavenly. It’s just so expensive it’s hard to go there a lot.
Kids sent this today!

First Light and the Backside of Snowbird;

They both had Christmas and Spring Break there for 10 years - think you would enjoy a Day with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3955.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	276794   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	276795  

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:15 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Kids sent this today!

First Light and the Backside of Snowbird;

They both had Christmas and Spring Break there for 10 years - think you would enjoy a Day with them.
I’m jealous. We didn’t do a ski trip this year because we are doing a 6 week trip this summer. So I’m missing out on the snow this year. But we are currently planning a 10 day Christmas ski trip out west somewhere. We like Copper and Keystone because it’s good for families (not so good for me, but great for the kiddos) but I think it’s time to try something new.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #92

Quote:
I’m jealous. We didn’t do a ski trip this year because we are doing a 6 week trip this summer. So I’m missing out on the snow this year. But we are currently planning a 10 day Christmas ski trip out west somewhere. We like Copper and Keystone because it’s good for families (not so good for me, but great for the kiddos) but I think it’s time to try something new.
Not to Hijack your thread - when the kids were young, some 30 years ago, we did SLC - Embassy Suites - every year for Christmas (10 days) - this allowed us to ski all of Utah - https://www.skicentral.com/utah-map.html - we skied them all in the 20-30 + trips to Utah - Alta and Snowbird being the Favorites and Deer Valley the Thursday Fish Fry was one of the Favorite Meals.

Anyway the point was we flew in on Christmas day early - rented a car - checked in the Hotel and skied till the 3rd of January before coming home, going to all the resorts at one time or another. as far as Value and Fun - we have stories - Like the time Robert Redford almost knocked my wife over, got the Picture - Embassy suites - Breakfast for 6 in the morning (we always took two older cousins) ski all day return for Open Bar and dinner only to hit the repeat the next day - with a Pool - a Gym - and close to all the Christmas fun in SLC - just like Camping without the RV - I'd suggest you at least look into it as a Possibility - always had better early snow in Utah than in Colorado - Greatest Snow on Earth is not just a slogan it's TRUE.

The 6 weeks this summer will be Great - Get out to the Rockies a fast as Possible - then really Study each area to see the Little things so often Missed.

It's going to be More than Great - it's going to be an Epic Memory, you will remember forever! - -

Take three pictures every time you think One will Do.

Best of Luck,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3976.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	276861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3979.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	276862  

Old 03-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #93

Ah, I nearly forgot about Alta and Deer Valley. I’d say Deer Valley is one of my favorites. Alta is good too.

We have quite a few memories from our crazy trips. Ha. The stories are the best and what really drives us. My parents brought me out west every year starting at 11 years old and I loved it. Aside from this year, I’m doing the same with my girls. They are 9 now, been doing it with them since they were 3. I think in a year or two they will be able to hit the backcountry with me.

I haven’t been out west in the summer, so it’s going to be great to see many of the places we ski but in the summer and get to enjoy the summer beauty of the mountains. It’s going to be awesome.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #94

Quote:
Ah, I nearly forgot about Alta and Deer Valley. I’d say Deer Valley is one of my favorites. Alta is good too.

We have quite a few memories from our crazy trips. Ha. The stories are the best and what really drives us. My parents brought me out west every year starting at 11 years old and I loved it. Aside from this year, I’m doing the same with my girls. They are 9 now, been doing it with them since they were 3. I think in a year or two they will be able to hit the backcountry with me.

I haven’t been out west in the summer, so it’s going to be great to see many of the places we ski but in the summer and get to enjoy the summer beauty of the mountains. It’s going to be awesome.
So much to see we even love the ski resorts in the Summer - always have a lot going on.

Keep working on the trip - many on the forum do know many of the secretes that just make it better.

If I can help feel free to pm me.

Best of Luck,
Old 03-03-2020, 11:01 PM   #95

Thanks! We are still working on it but slowed down this week to do some maintenance on the RV before I boondock next weekend in Shenandoah NP for a couple days.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #96

Moab has the best in off road trails bar none--Been there 5 times with side x sides !!!!6-8 days each time--AWESOME
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	218.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	277222   Click image for larger version

Name:	523.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	277223  

Name:	345.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	277224   Click image for larger version

Name:	279.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	277225  

WyomingTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #97

Oh.... the Moab 4-wheeling pics bring back such good memories. Been there; done that. Awesome experiences!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #98

With all this time on your hands you should have quite the trip planned by Now. -