RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

5th wheel trip Bellingham Wa to Florida via NC

We are planning a trip around the middle of November maybe earlier if we can get our commitments completed.

We will be starting in Bellingham and want to get down to the Florida Keys but want to see friends in Greensboro NC.

The shortest route is coming up as I 94 or I 90 or even I 70 but were a little concerned about weather at that time of year and thought maybe go down into California and pick up I 40.

We will be driving a ram with 4 wheel drive pulling a 40' Grand Design, we have chains but definitely do not want to use then unless we really had to, would rather avoid the ice or white stuff.

We are planning on taking around 4 months.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nick

BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #2

If you don't have reservations in the Keys you better try to make them ASAP. Thanksgiving is the usual start of 'the season' down there when the snowbirds fly in. Be prepared for extreme sticker shock. Reservations in south Florida for the season can be very difficult to get, the further south you go the harder it is. People make reservations for the next year before they leave.

I'm no expert on the weather but I think you'll probably be OK on I-40

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #3

I5 south to SoCAL. I hate to suggest CA to travel through, but with your starting time you will want to get as far south as possible before heading east.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #4

We've taken I-10, I-20 & I-40 out to Colorado/AZ. We definitely prefer I-40. Better roads with less construction although I-40 between Asheville and Knoxville needs to be driven very cautiously!!
Old 05-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Every year we leave the Oregon coast to go home around Oct. 20. Although we like to take different routes sometimes we have to head south to avoid snow and ice. Most times I/90 or I/80 will be fine but many times we have gone directly to southern CA before heading east. Be flexible with your route and carefully watch the weather (it changes fast sometimes)!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #6

This past November, 2019, in Marion Ohio, our grandkids missed 2-3 days of school because of HEAVY snow. Marion is about 40 miles north of I-70. Plus not sure of which campgrounds will be open, since most in that area close for the season around the end of October. You may want to reconsider your route of I-70 for that time of year.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:51 PM   #7

Wa to Fl

I-10and I-20 are both terrible from Texas to Alabama.

Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, florida