RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #1

Adventure recommendations - San Antonio,TX to Mesquite, NV

Will be off on a leisure trip soon, planning to see some sights.

Any recommendations...places NOT to miss, roads to avoid, etc.?

Here's the general itinerary...
San Antonio - El Paso - Santa Fe - Petrified Forest - Sedona - Grand Canyon - Hoover Dam
May pass through Roswell on the return journey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #2

Are you plan a winter trip and returning in spring? If so, I'd recommend you do Petrified Forest (it's just a one-day drive through) and Santa Fe on your return in Spring for better weather. Santa Fe gets SNOW!

Instead, take I-10. Plan a one-night stop around Van Horn, TX and then Deming, NM, then Benson, AZ. Those are good one-day drives and you'll avoid having to spend the night in El Paso.... unless you wanted to do some things in Las Cruces, NM.

In Benson you could stay at Cochise Terrace RV or Butterfield RV. Then take the Kartchner Caverns tour (if giving it during COVID), do day trips to Chiricahua Nat'l Monument and some hiking.... awesome, unique rock formations even if not hiking. You could also do day trips into Tucson.

Then north on I-10 to Phoenix and pick up I-17 north. Stay in the Phoenix area - lots to do. We love the Maricopa County Parks for camping - beautiful and good for big rigs. We like Usery a lot. We also like Lost Dutchman State Park... so much that we volunteered there. Big sites.

Then north on I-17. We like staying in Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State Park on Hwy 260. It's a short drive into Sedona. If planning to stay in Sedona don't continue north on 89A. It's very steep and could have snow. Check weather as you're driving. Instead, get back on I-17 into Flagstaff and west on I-40 to Williams and on to Grand Canyon. Stay in the park itself at Trailer Village for the best Canyon experience. Big sites. If the Bright Angel Trail isn't icey then at least walk down it 1/8-1/4 mile to get the feeling of being below the Rim.

Then I-40 west to Kingman and Hwy 93 to Las Vegas and on to Mesquite.

I-40 is higher elevation and you'll probably have winter conditions depending when you're leaving. I-10 is safer in winter.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
jeskibuff --

I've only traveled as far west as Kerrville, TX for weekend outings since wife and I are still blessed with great full time careers. The obvious must see places in San Antonio are the Alamo and downtown River Walk areas. There is much to do in the fantastic wine country of the Texas Hill Country north / northwest of San Antonio.

Depending on the timing of your trip, the El Paso area is currently experiencing a significant Covid-19 outbreak with much of city/county returning to a full lock-down again until at least December 1 --> http://www.epcounty.com/documents/Order-No-14.pdf

The state of New Mexico requires all visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days before doing any tourist activities (this requirement will kill New Mexico's ski season!). The AARP website tracks Covid restrictions across all states --> https://www.aarp.org/travel/travel-t...ine-guide.html

Life today is extremely challenging for everyone and we need to be as flexible as possible. Good luck with your travels!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
The state of New Mexico requires all visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days before doing any tourist activities (this requirement will kill New Mexico's ski season!).
Geez..."if passing through the state, only stop for essentials...gas...food, etc".

That pretty much scraps the notion of spending any time there or even going to an outdoor venue like The Petrified Forest.

This'll just be about a 3- to 4-week trip, returning to San Antonio in mid-December. I thought I'd be far enough south to avoid snow, but Santa Fe is pretty close to Taos and the ski resorts in Colorado *used* to begin opening around Thanksgiving.

Anyone know how the weather is in Zion National Park in early December? A friend said he was there in February and it was pleasant. Could have been a fluke!
Old 11-16-2020, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
the El Paso area is currently experiencing a significant Covid-19 outbreak with much of city/county returning to a full lock-down again until at least December 1
I planned on just waving at the city through my windows as I passed through it.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:58 PM   #6

A few points along the route to consider seeing:

Meteor Crater just a few miles off I-40 near Winslow

Cameron Trading Post, great place to stop for a meal and pick up trinkets, walk around, etc. depending on your exact route, also check out Page AZ, Antelope canyon, and maybe a half day relaxing float trip down Glen canyon.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post

Meteor Crater just a few miles off I-40 near Winslow

Cameron Trading Post, great place to stop for a meal and pick up trinkets, walk around, etc. depending on your exact route, also check out Page AZ, Antelope canyon, and maybe a half day relaxing float trip down Glen canyon.
Meteor is just a drive through. It's a big hole in the ground.

Cameron will most likely be closed during the OP's timeframe as it's on the Navajo Reservation which is now closed for visitors. Even Monument Valley is closed.

Also to the OP.... Santa Fe has a ski mountain, also... so it's cold there.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post

Anyone know how the weather is in Zion National Park in early December?
https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...nd-climate.htm
Old 11-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #9

Valley of Fire, go into Boulder City and take Lakeshore dr instead of going into Vegas
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #10

I would not call meteor crater a drive through, if you do the hourly rim trail guided walk that takes about an hour or so, if not the rest of it can be reasonably seen in an hour. Call it a 1 to 2 hour stop as a reasonable amount of time to see things.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
jeskibuff --

I've only traveled as far west as Kerrville, TX for weekend outings since wife and I are still blessed with great full time careers. The obvious must see places in San Antonio are the Alamo and downtown River Walk areas. There is much to do in the fantastic wine country of the Texas Hill Country north / northwest of San Antonio.

Depending on the timing of your trip, the El Paso area is currently experiencing a significant Covid-19 outbreak with much of city/county returning to a full lock-down again until at least December 1 --> http://www.epcounty.com/documents/Order-No-14.pdf

The state of New Mexico requires all visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days before doing any tourist activities (this requirement will kill New Mexico's ski season!). The AARP website tracks Covid restrictions across all states --> https://www.aarp.org/travel/travel-t...ine-guide.html

Life today is extremely challenging for everyone and we need to be as flexible as possible. Good luck with your travels!
We just arrived in Medina Lakes (NW of San Antonio) yesterday, Thousand Trails park, and plan on hitting the Alamo and the River Walk. We were here last January and did both then. But right now they said the River Walk area is decorated for Christmas and they turn the lights on at dark.
Maybe seeing some beautiful Christmas lights will give us a brighter outlook, they we need.
Yesterday morning we were at Lake Conroe, Texas and came thru Katy on the way over to here. Last year we stayed at Katy Lake West for almost a week in the first of May, it was very nice park.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #12

A little north of Albuquerque right now. Will check out Santa Fe tomorrow...weather looks good before a front moves in on Sunday.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! The side trip down Lakeshore sounds interesting...roads are good there?

So far the dog isn't thrilled with New Mexico. Can't find any grass to go on and what's not rocks and pebbles is full of burrs. Saw another dog at a rest stop yelping while his owners were getting his paws "deburred".
Old 11-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #13

watching
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #14

at meteor crater go into the visitor center and take the ranger led rim hike. these are off i-40. if using i-10 stop at benson and make a day trip to tombstone.

desert museum on tucson. air and space museum and davis monthan air force base in tucson.

copper museum in clarkdale next to cottonwood.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent