Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Alaska 2013

Well for all of those that chose not to come to Alaska this year, you are missing one the 'best' summers we have had in a long time. It has been in the 70's-80's, more days than not.
It has really been great this summer, other then it not cooling down in the evenings!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #2

I agree, except that it was a very late spring. We now have 120 lbs of halibut and 110 meals of sockeye in the freezer. We also canned 8 dozen jars of pinks and are pulling between 22 and 34 shrimp from each pot after only a 24 hour soak. Silvers are a couple of weeks south of Valdez and the weather has been clear and severe sunshine. A lot of smoke up near Fairbanks due to fires, but overall a great year.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #3

We're poised to leave Alaska after 5 weeks of visiting this beautiful state. ALL of the locals, from Ketchikan to Fairbanks, have been singing the same tune. They can't believe how warm it's been this year and the rain have been p.m. showers most of the time. Twenty per cent of our closet has clothes that haven't been touched. No need for them in this warm weather.

"I shall return" to steal a phrase from a great American. We been "awe struck" since we crossed the border in Tok. I've seen at least 200 locations where I want to build a new home and live 5 months of the year. Sorry, I'm a panty waist when it comes to cold weather.

More Americans need to discover this glorious state.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #4

Except for two or three hot mosquito days on the Denali Highway, which we would never recommend to our worst friends, this has been a splendid summer. Mostly dry, most high 50s to low 70s.

We've had some ok showers the last couple of days in Juneau, and it's overcast and cool in Gustavus where we'll to a tour of Glacier Bay tomorrow before continuing our Inside Passage ferry ride south next week. Sitka, here we come.
Oldedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

I'll agree as we are in Northern Calif heading home from 10 weeks in Canada/Alaska. We always thought we would get lots more rain but basically only about 3 days the entire trip, weather was perfect ! By the time we pull in the driveway in So Cal we will have traveled 11,500 miles and loved every minute and every mile.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just arrived ( flew up) to the Fairbanks area a few days ago (Aug 1st) to visit family in North Pole. Yes, the weather is still great. Went blueberry picking today. This is about our 5th time up here and plan a RVing trip here in 2016.

FYI.. the North Pole Visitor Center has been relocated across the hi-way to the old (Closed) Santa Clause Campground office building. It's a much better location because it is right next to the Santa Clause House store. The parking is no longer an issue. Plenty of parking now. Would have been nice if that campground would have stayed open...They still keep it up and today I saw people having picnics on the campground tables. As far as the fire just south of the North Pole area it is 70% contained. And today I no longer saw any smoke.

The fair is going on in Fairbanks and runs till next weekend (Aug 11th).

Have traveled around the Fairbanks and North Pole areas the last 2 days and the roads are in great condition. One section on the Parks hi-way about 10 miles southwest of Fairbanks had a few "frost heaves" but no big deal. Maybe cut your speed down to 45 - 50 mph for 1/4 mile. Just watch out for locals who mis-read the posted 55mph speed limit as 75 mph...

** Anyone else can share their tid-bits of their travels in and around Alaska and the Al-Can such as:

~ campgrounds to stay away from

~ sections of roads either in AK. or along the Al-Can to be careful of

~ Anyone who is RVing in AK with a smaller travel trailer. (In the last few days I have seen scored of 5ers, class b's and motorhomes, but not one travel trailer?? We have a 25' Aerolite hybrid which I hope to bring up in 2016. Looking to buy a new truck (Tundra or Chevy) in the next month or year. Just wonder how a trailer will hold up.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote