Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #1

Alaska to US question

We have been up here for 6 weeks and about ready to head back to the US. Traveling in a 40' RV diesel engine, with a tag axle and pulling a tow vehicle.

We are thinking we would like to travel from Tok to Dawson City and then to Whitehorse. How are the roads in that direction and would you do this section, any problems using the ferry?

We also want to do the Skagway down and back, is this an ok venture?

Last but not least we want to do the Watson Lake down Route 37 to 16 to Prince George. Is this Ok to try?

From Prince George we want to continue on 16 to Jasper, is this an ok road/route? Slight chance we may elect to go from Prince George to Vancover, how is that route?

Yeal I know a lot of questions but want to be sure these are ok roads.

If reading this and thinking about going to Alaska>>>do it! What an awesome adventure. Ability to hike helps to see some stuff so get out of the RV and start walking and exercising so you can maximize your trip. Have a great day and thinks in advance for any help.
grovenewmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'll be following this thread and advise - as this is the trip at the top of my bucket list.
Good luck
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Prince George down is fine, PG is the furthest I have been. This could help you:
DriveBC
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

First, we (Alaskans) like to think that we are part of the US. I can comment on two of the legs.

The side trip to Skagway can be an absolute beautiful drive with grand mountains peaks (weather permitting). Good roads and very doable with your set up. We were down there a few years ago to hike the Chilkoot trail and took the train back to Skagway. Nice town. Can get a little busy when the cruise ships are in port.

We drove the route from Jasper to Prince George last summer. Good roads the whole way. We really liked the Jasper/Banff area.

Happy to hear you enjoyed your time in Alaska!
M8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Tok to Dawson City and then to Whitehorse
I assume you're talking about the "Top of the World" and "Klondike" highway

HUM - I'm not sure about a 40ft with toad.. The road is good and also dirt with switchbacks. Also there is a ferry crossing.. We made the trip in a 21 ft micro-mini 8 years ago, but were going the other way.

http://iflyez.ivoteconservative.com/alaska/?p=122
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We did the TOW in June of 16’ in a 25’ tt and truck. At least at the time I didn’t any rigs your size. I saw a A few class C’s. Only the 20-30 miles between Chicken & Jack Wade Junction was “ real bad “. Real bad, I mean rough gravel, narrow at some points where you had to be careful of on coming traffic around turns, no guardrails, and at least in 16’ the road in that section didn’t seem it had been graded to smooth out the washboard effect leaving many 4-6” rounded stones humped up / imbedded in the road surface.

Besides those items and all the 4 letter words coming from my church going co-pilot.....slow an easy was the way to go.

Would I do it again when we go up next year. Yes....unless there is a lot of rain thus causing the road shoulders to become soft. We had dry weather. We stayed 3 days in Dawson City and two in Chicken.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:18 AM   #7

We did this in July 2016 and found it is very doable if you drive for the conditions. We went with a group, some with 45’ coaches with toads, and everyone made it with no damage. At that time we felt the worst section was the 10 miles near Chicken on the section between Tok and Chicken (a gravel section with severe washboard and many potholes). We just took it slow (lot of time spent at 10 mph) and made it with no problems. The next worst section was also in the gravel close to Chicken between Chicken and Dawson City, lots of washboard and potholes. The TOW between the border and Dawson City was mostly dirt but was reasonably well maintained and relatively smooth and we drove it at mostly 45 mph. The weather conditions will affect the road conditions however and we were fortunate to pass through a few days after rain so there was little dust or mud. Recent rains will make the dirt roads muddy and periods of dry weather will make the unpaved sections or road (dirt or gravel) very dusty. In any case, you WILL need to wash your coach and toad after passing through. We found the trip was very scenic and were very glad that we did it. Chicken was nice and we had moose cows and their calf’s in the campground to view and enjoy. The staff give a very nice tour and history discussion of their gold dredge and teach gold panning techniques. The Yukon ferry was a total non-event. The staff are very good in directing you on and off of the ferry and they frequently groom the shores so that the approach angles won’t damage your equipment. When we crossed they were taking particular care with RVs and grooming for every rig. The only concern I would have with the ferry would be if you need/want to cross when a caravan was crossing as that creates quite a crossing delay.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim, How many vehicles could they get on the ferry?? When we crossed, I think there were two extended cab pickups and us, a 21 ft class C Toyota micro-mini.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Jim, How many vehicles could they get on the ferry?? When we crossed, I think there were two extended cab pickups and us, a 21 ft class C Toyota micro-mini.

We crossed in 2017 it was our 40 ft class A and a small pickup. Wife took toad over earlier so she could get pictures of coach crossing.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
GBB

Watson Lake to PG the Cassiar Hwy. it is two lane with no shoulders, so no where to pull off if you have truoble, limited services, other than that a scenic route.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I can’t remember exactly now, but seems it was more than that as I recall. I think they could get one big RV on one side and something like 5 or 6 cars on the other side which is what they seemed to like to do. But it’s a small ferry for sure. Below is the only picture I could easily find of the ferry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7A6648EB-8D67-4F5E-8487-A40C40B8DC55.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	213722  
Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! What a trip! It is definitely on my bucket list!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Wow! What a trip! It is definitely on my bucket list!
You will definitely love it! It was without a doubt the best trip of our lives. We found ourselves saying this is the most beautiful thing we have ever seen and then we would go around a curve and we would say, no THIS is the most beautiful thing we have ever seen to be repeated over and over again! Can’t wait to go back again.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

My 44' and toad was all they could fit on ferry across Yukon. We found no roads that we could not handle satisfactory. Slow is name of the game. Did find several roads better than many I have traveled in lower 48. Skagway and train ride are fun.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip