Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Alaska:Which road to take

We're planning for a trip to Alaska the summer of '18. We'll arrive in early July. 43' MH and Jeep tow. Everything considered (distance, time, safety, road conditions), would you take the Alcan up thru Haines Jct and Beaver Creek to Tok; or Dawson City, ferry and Top of the World? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

I've been twice on the Dawson City Ferry and Top of the World Hwy to Chicken and Tok. The good news is the ToTWH was being redone on my last trip, several years ago and should be in better shape now.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #3

We headed north from Whitehorse to Dawson City - REALLY enjoyed it - would be a shame to go that far and NOT go to Dawson City! Ferry across the Yukon River, cross the TOW Highway, even went up to Eagle for a night. just watch the weather - you want to do that trip on a dry day.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #4

Agreed....take in Dawson City if you can. It's a neat experience. The Top of the World Highway dries out fairly fast and if you're in Dawson in rain allow time to wait a day or two for it to dry out. You could also do it on your return trip in August/first 2 weeks of Sept. as the colors are gorgeous and it's drier at that time. Luckily, we didn't have rain during the times we did it. It doesn't rain all the time!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

I was up there this summer (albeit on a motorcycle) and did both. The run from Whitehorse to Dawson City wasn't the dramatic scenery that you will have for most of your trip. But it's very worth it. I did the Top of the World on a rainy day. Although I wouldn't call it good conditions in the rain, it is very doable. When you get into Alaska you have a run of about ten miles of new, very nice pavement. After that, it was probably the worst dirt road I encountered on my trip all the way to Chicken. I would think, although I've not done it, that the narrow roads going up and down the mountains would be a challenge with an rv. There was construction for about 5 miles after Chicken. I got stuck in the mud twice in the middle of the road. One time I had a semi coming right behind me. Scary time!! The construction on that section will probably be done next summer, but even the non-construction section was rough.

Coming back home I followed the Alcan from Tok. I found the road from Beaver Creek to Whitehorse to be one of the best of my trip. There are lots of very good views of the St. Elias mountain range. Mount Logan is in this range and is only about 800 feet shorter than Denali. It was a nice day when I went by, but just like Denali, it creates its own weather and the top was shrouded in clouds.

You really can't go wrong with any route you take. Personally, I like the Muncho Lake area. Lots of wildlife. You have to be careful going around corners in the mountains as bighorn sheep like to be on the road. Just south of Watson Lake you'll run into plenty of Bison along the road. They often are right on the shoulder. It's a little unsettling on a motorcycle. The locals will tell you stories of the bison getting their horns under a car and tipping it over. Apparently, unlike bears who will run when startled, the bison will attack. They warn you not to honk your horn or rev your engine to make them move out of the way. They pretty much own the road there.

Have fun. I would call it a trip of a lifetime, but I'll be going again, possibly many times.

Be Well! KORKORO
John Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Alaska road conditions

I have heard mixed stories about the road conditions.
Some friends went a few years back and said the roads tore up tires, and pelted vehichles with rocks. Windshields were damaged a lot, with the flying stones and shale rock. Is that true? I may just buy a slide in for my truck rather than taking the MH if that is the case. Could someone tell of their experiences.
Sober Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sober Rider View Post
Some friends went a few years back and said the roads tore up tires, and pelted vehichles with rocks. Windshields were damaged a lot, with the flying stones and shale rock. Is that true? I may just buy a slide in for my truck rather than taking the MH if that is the case. Could someone tell of their experiences.
Most of the roads are fine. Although there is a lot of construction in the summer. The construction can sometimes go on a long way. The longest I encountered was 51km. Most construction is fairly good gravel road, but some of it is very rough. The worst is when they put down a lot of water and calcium chloride. It makes for a mess of everything. As soon as possible, you have to clean it off. If it hardens it's hard to get off.

Most of the really bad stories come from the Dempster Highway (Yukon) and the Dalton Highway (Alaska - usually called the haul road). Big semi's moving pretty fast can throw up rocks. Those two roads are probably the most isolated roads in North America. For the adventurous, it quite a trip.

Stick to the main roads and you'll be fine. Make sure to go slow in the construction zones.

Be Well! KORKORO
Old 11-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sober Rider View Post
Not true. We had absolutely no damage to the motorhome or the Jeep. The secret is to drive slow. . . not interstate speeds.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #9

I did both in 2005 in a truck camper towing a trailer. Dawson City is worth seeing and don't miss Chicken.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #10

If you look at a map you will see that there are not many choices. Basically you either do the trip in a clockwise fashion or you do it in an anticlockwise fashion. Before Whitehorse you either do the Alaska hwy going N or use it going S. You use the Cassiar going N or use it going S.

All going to plan next year will be our 4th trip North. Did the TOW each time before. Doing it again. Dawson City is worth at least 3 nights to look around real good. The hardware store alone is good for a couple of hours to pick up necessities like traps.

Don't race through Canada. The Canadian Rockies put Colorado to shame. Best chances for animal sighting are in Canada. BC has some of the most spectacular CGs. YT CGs are in a class all their own with free firewood. It is cut but you need to split it.

Above all else, SLOW DOWN. For the most part they are better than some of the interstates with all of their cracks & potholes. Be happy at 50 most of the time.
Triangle Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post

Don't race through Canada. The Canadian Rockies put Colorado to shame. Best chances for animal sighting are in Canada. BC has some of the most spectacular CGs. YT CGs are in a class all their own with free firewood. It is cut but you need to split it.

Above all else, SLOW DOWN. For the most part they are better than some of the interstates with all of their cracks & potholes. Be happy at 50 most of the time.
Agreed! Although I was on a motorcycle this summer, I spent so much time in the Yukon that I didn't see much of Alaska.

You might think you'll be holding up traffic if you go 50. However, in most places there are plenty of opportunities for those behind you to pass and if you're going 50 it'll be easy for them to pass.

Be Well! KORKORO
Old 12-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I would do it again in a minute. Did the ferry with a 40' DP and trailer with towed. One caution, the ferry, got up early to be first in line so I would have EZ on. Nope they put cars and C's on first anyway, thought I would get center lane, nope, put me on up river side. Had 1", yes, 1 inch from poll on drivers mirror then hung head out rest of way on to keep bumper on drivers side as close it rail as possible to give as much space as available on right rear of MH and trailer. For the crew there were 5 personnel on all corner and close spots and no urgency loading, but it was the closest ALL the way around I have ever been in, in near 55 years of RVing. Your mileage may very but be prepared. We spent three full days driving the TOW road boondocking and slow going to enjoy this view. Only negative to the coach was "MAN WAS IT DUSTY PASSING ONCOMING TRAFFIC" bus' s the worst for not slowing.

LEN
Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #13

Ahead of us were our camping neighbors, when they loaded into the ferry they were transported across the river by themselves. It was a 45' coach towing a full size ford pickup. No hurry loading and a expert crew,,,,,,,no problems.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #14

Went last summer with a 36 DP and Jeep toad. Driving at 15 mph south of Destruction Bay, a local pickup with a trailer passed me at 60, took out my windshield, damaged the side of the MH, Jeep front, windshield and side as well. Had a full rock guard on the MH, front bra on the jeep. Added a windshield cover to the Toad once I hit Anchorage.
Things change week by week, so prepare for the worst and if nothing happens, all the better. Great trip and I would love to do it all again.
samschudi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip