Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #1

Question Albuquerque, NM to Las Vegas, NM

Hello, I'm trying to avoid going through construction and the mountain at Sante Fe, NM on the way to Limon, CO from Albuquerque What is the condition of Mesalands Scenic Byway going from I40 East of Albuquerque up to Las Vegas, NM . We are heading to North to Gillette, WY and want to avoid Ratan Pass and Colorado Springs and Denver. We have a 2013 Monaca (gas) with tow and I do not like the stress of the cities. (my husband doesn't mind and he's the driver..LOL) We both also enjoy the more scenic routes.

I am open for any suggestions traveling from Albuquerque, NM to Gillette, WY
Phousden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #2

It seems someone recently asked about a Denver/I-25 bypass. Was that you?

Raton Pass isn't a biggie. Personally I wouldn't avoid it. The northbound descent is 2.5 mi. of 6% and then 3-4% into Trinidad, CO. There are bigger grades on interstates in the West.

From Trinidad take 350 to 71 to Limon and onward north to I-80 in Wyoming and continue on. Nothing to be stressed about.

Do you drive? That's more stressfree than being a passenger sometimes! We both share driving in all terrains.

Here's a map of Mesalands Scenic Byway. It doesn't look like it would help you much getting where you're heading.

https://www.go-newmexico.com/Mesalands-Scenic-Byway/

Where is your previous stop before Albuquerque? Perhaps we could guide you another way?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:18 PM   #3

Albuquerque to Gillette, WY

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It seems someone recently asked about a Denver/I-25 bypass. Was that you?

Raton Pass isn't a biggie. Personally I wouldn't avoid it. The northbound descent is 2.5 mi. of 6% and then 3-4% into Trinidad, CO. There are bigger grades on interstates in the West.

From Trinidad take 350 to 71 to Limon and onward north to I-80 in Wyoming and continue on. Nothing to be stressed about.

Do you drive? That's more stressfree than being a passenger sometimes! We both share driving in all terrains.

Here's a map of Mesalands Scenic Byway. It doesn't look like it would help you much getting where you're heading.

https://www.go-newmexico.com/Mesalands-Scenic-Byway/

Where is your previous stop before Albuquerque? Perhaps we could guide you another way?

Thank you! We are in Williams, AZ now and heading to Albuquerque tomorrow morning. We've already been up in the Dakotas, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and the Utah Parks on this trip, but have decided to go back up North to the Gillette, WY to the FMCA convention. This was not in our original plan and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work over a holiday weekend with heavy traffic. I'm trying to stay out of Denver and Colorado City. I was going to travel I25 to Pueblo, Co, then travel 96 or 50 east towards Ordway, then north on 71 to Brush, then 76W near Ft. Morgan and go 85N at Greely and reconnect to I25 near Cheyenne, WY and then follow I25 to Gillette, WY (895 miles total)
Old 06-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phousden View Post
Thank you! We are in Williams, AZ now and heading to Albuquerque tomorrow morning. We've already been up in the Dakotas, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and the Utah Parks on this trip, but have decided to go back up North to the Gillette, WY to the FMCA convention. This was not in our original plan and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work over a holiday weekend with heavy traffic. I'm trying to stay out of Denver and Colorado City. I was going to travel I25 to Pueblo, Co, then travel 96 or 50 east towards Ordway, then north on 71 to Brush, then 76W near Ft. Morgan and go 85N at Greely and reconnect to I25 near Cheyenne, WY and then follow I25 to Gillette, WY (895 miles total)
Your plan will work and if you've traveled all the other places you definitely won't have an issue for Raton Pass! Have a good trip!!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Morning,

twogypsies has some good advice.

I live in Colorado Springs and I am a native to Gillette, WY and went to high school in Douglas, WY. I drive a gas 34' MH towing a Jeep so I am in a similar situation to you from an equipment standpoint.

twogypsies made an "if it were me" statement so I think I will make mine. If it were me I would drive I25 all the way from Albuquerque to Douglas, WY. I would time arriving at Colorado Springs at about 10 AM and just keep going north. All the things you have read about the construction between Colorado Springs and Denver are true! However, they are exaggerated. The drive is somewhat tedious but not terrible!

But based on your stated objectives I suggest the route you will find if you click on THIS MAP. This keeps you off of I80 which can be irritating because of heavy truck traffic and cuts a few miles off of the overall trip. The truck drivers are in a hurry and find MHs a nuisance. I've made the route so it takes you right to the campground in the Cam-Plex.

You can click on the + sign to narrow the map view and scroll around to see details. It probably works better on a tablet or laptop computer than on your phone!

Regardless of your chosen route, have a good trip and pleasant time at the FMCA convention.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #6

Albuquerque, NM to Gillette

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 07-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #7

Thank you to everyone for your help!
Old 07-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Good Morning,

twogypsies has some good advice.

I live in Colorado Springs and I am a native to Gillette, WY and went to high school in Douglas, WY. I drive a gas 34' MH towing a Jeep so I am in a similar situation to you from an equipment standpoint.

twogypsies made an "if it were me" statement so I think I will make mine. If it were me I would drive I25 all the way from Albuquerque to Douglas, WY. I would time arriving at Colorado Springs at about 10 AM and just keep going north. All the things you have read about the construction between Colorado Springs and Denver are true! However, they are exaggerated. The drive is somewhat tedious but not terrible!

But based on your stated objectives I suggest the route you will find if you click on THIS MAP. This keeps you off of I80 which can be irritating because of heavy truck traffic and cuts a few miles off of the overall trip. The truck drivers are in a hurry and find MHs a nuisance. I've made the route so it takes you right to the campground in the Cam-Plex.

You can click on the + sign to narrow the map view and scroll around to see details. It probably works better on a tablet or laptop computer than on your phone!

Regardless of your chosen route, have a good trip and pleasant time at the FMCA convention.
Thanks. For all of your help! We ended up camping at the very top of Raton Pass! It was a. Very good drive and views were awesome!
Old 07-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #9

Thanks for returning with an update. So... did you take I-25 all the way?
Old 07-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #10

Albuquerque to Gillette on secondary roads

No, we went 25N from Albuquerque over Raton Pass to. 350 at Trinidad, then 71 to Btush, then 34 west to 85 north, then 25 to 50 N into Gillette , WY..
Arizona/ Colorado /Wyoming secondary and interstate roads are a hit or miss. Terrible compared to Virginia. They need to bring our pavers out West! We did get caught up in a terrible hail storm along the way and our new wiper blades broke, so after waiting it out, we went on into Casper and then eventually got onto 50 North, otherwise good travels. (the storm was laying over 59 North) They have new paving before you get to Brush and the old paving was much smoother.. Some parts were smooth and other was not, but ok to travel in an RV but lots of rattles.

Tags
gas, tow