Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2022, 08:18 AM   #1

Albuquerque NM to Phoenix AZ opinions?

Looking for a nice easy not to many grade route form Albuquerque to Phoenix.

After some research I put this together, for the folks that have traveled this let me know what you think.

40 west to Holbrook AZ onto 377 south to Heber/Overgaard onto 260 west to Payson AZ onto 87 south into Phoenix.

Let me know if this is a preferred route Thanks, Joe
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is our preferred route. I have driven I17 a few times and absolutely hate it. The route through Payson has some grades, but not as bad as I17. The traffic is lighter as well.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #3
RV LIFE Support Team

There is no good route for avoid grades, you are going from 7000' to 1000', it is all downhill.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is true, but with the I17 route you go down and up several times. The Payson route is not that bad.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #5

welcome to my world. yes the payson route is absolutely fine! it is also about 100 miles shorter than staying on i-40 all the way to flagstaff and then down to phoenix via i-17.

most of the route from holbrook to heber on az-77/277/377 is two lane road in wide open country. from heber to payson az-260 is a mix of two lane road and 4 lane divided road that goes mostly through the forest. you will reach over 7,000 feet at forest lakes and then there will be a several mile downgrade. this section is four lane divided highway.

once you get to payson the route down to the phoenix area is AZ-87. it is entirely 4 lane divided hwy. it will have a couple of downgrades on it as you will be going from 5,000 feet in payson to about 1,300 feet in phoenix, but nothing bad.

this route to holbrook through payson is used by semis and every type of rv ever built hundreds of times per day. it is entirely doable!

a recent note - the highway patrol has recently stepped up speed enforcement on these roads. they are posted at 65 but people have been really speeding on the so the recent increase in patrols. they like to hide behind foliage and use the radar guns. 65 is just fine for us.

enjoy the trip!!!! post how you liked it.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:26 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the help. I will be taking that route and will report back.
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You want to avoid Payson on any of the 3 day holidays. Traffic will be terrible.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #8

The Quickest way is the interstate: I-40 & I-17
260 to Holbrook, Heber, Forest Lakes, Payson 87 will bring you in near Fountain Hills and into Apache Junction, then you'll need to travel West to Phoenix.

What part of Phoenix are you going to?
Old 04-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
welcome to my world. yes the payson route is absolutely fine! it is also about 100 miles shorter than staying on i-40 all the way to flagstaff and then down to phoenix via i-17. .

According to Goggle Earth: 377 > 260 > 87 is 48 miles shorter than I-17 & I-40. But then you have to travel to Phoenix