Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Alternative Route to Lake Havasu

I will be heading to Lake Havasu City in early December. (Almost a month from now). I usually drive from Salt Lake City on the I-15 corridor south to Las Vegas I-515 and then onto US 95 where I make my way south to Lake Havasu City. I absolutely hate the traffic in Las Vegas. Almost had to run someone off the road last year because they absolutely would not let me in even though I had my turn signal on for the last several miles trying to get off I-515 and onto US 95. Fortunately no accident occurred and I am a very defensive driver and I have never had an accident in 26 years of driving. Don't want to start now. But I hate Las Vegas traffic because there is no respect for larger vehicles. Commuters are very unfriendly in Vegas. Now I will only drive through Vegas early in the morning or really late at night when there is almost no traffic on the freeways. Don't want to deal with that again. I was hoping someone here knew of a good alternate that would allow me to bypass Las Vegas completely. I am looking for any reasonable route that won't take me to far out of the way and easily get me back on US 95 south. Thanks in advance.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

Go through Valley of Fire /Overton. You come out at Boulder City
MarknHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you have extra time you can take Northshore drive that follows along Lake Mead. Coming south take exit 93 / Logandale / NV163 through Logandale and Overton through Lake Mead National Recreation area, left on to Lakeshore drive and follow it to US93 south of Boulder City. You can go right through Boulder City and get on US95 south or left and use US93 to Kingman then I-40 to the Havasu exit. US93 is our preferred route between Havasu and Vegas.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #4

We visit Vegas a lot (grand kids there) and I have always professed that Cegas drivers are absolutely the worst. I have driven all over NY city, San Francisco, Seattle and especially the greater LA area. LV beats them all. The majority have their head up their rear.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I can't help you getting around Vegas since I haven't figured it out yet. The Valley of Fire route sounds interesting. I've done both, but I prefer US 93 from Boulder City to Kingman over US 95. It is 4 lane most of the way and doesn't cut through CA (55 mph). My rig doesn't like 55 and will not shift to 6th gear.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

I live in Salt Lake City during the summer which is twice the size of Vegas. I have also driven in the traffic of Los Angeles and San Francisco. So I know what a serious traffic Jam is. I know when I have driven through Las Vegas after 9PM at night there is hardly any traffic on the freeway. Less so than Salt Lake City. I have heard weekends are a bad time to drive through, and anytime from 10AM to 8:30PM. I don't know how true this, but again I have found the best times to drive through Vegas is after 10 PM at night. Any feedback on that???
Old 10-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I feel your pain.....I've taken an RV all over the west, live near Los Angeles, yet I find Las Vegas to always be a nightmare. It seems like they're always working on the freeway from one end of town to the other. The approaching interchanges are poorly marked and if you're in the wrong lane, you'll paly heck trying to get room to move over. When I'm forced to go through there....I plant myself in the center lane and stay there until I'm clear of the city.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It takes about an extra 30 minutes to use the route through Logandale, about an hour extra to go use the Valley Of Fire road. Both end up on Northshore Rd. You have to pay the Valley Of Fire State Park fee to use the Valley Of Fire road. If you don't have a National Park pass you will need to pay a fee to drive through Lake Mead National Recreation Area.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #9

I live in Lake Havasu and drive Las Vegas a lot. The intechange from the 15 to 515 is a traffic nightmare. The easiest is to take the 15 south through Las Vegas to the 164 and then head east to Searchlight. This way you can pick your lane,(preferably not the far right) and travel right on through without having to make any lane changes. Happy Travels!
Skip3370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #10

I just drove the opposite way your going thru Vegas, its not that difficult and although its courteous to let someone over into their lane its up to you to merge, not them to let you.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippinhead View Post
I live in Lake Havasu and drive Las Vegas a lot. The intechange from the 15 to 515 is a traffic nightmare. The easiest is to take the 15 south through Las Vegas to the 164 and then head east to Searchlight. This way you can pick your lane,(preferably not the far right) and travel right on through without having to make any lane changes. Happy Travels!

That's exit 164??? That sounds like a heck of good idea, since you have to go through Searchlight on the way to Lake Havasu anyway. Might try that. Thank You!!! 👍
Old 10-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #12

Alternative Route to Lake Havasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I just drove the opposite way your going thru Vegas, its not that difficult and although its courteous to let someone over into their lane its up to you to merge, not them to let you.

Sounds like you've never been in Salt Lake or Vegas during rush hour. 😆 if you ever had, you'd know the heavy traffic never stops coming and these commuters think they own the road. Cruising through Vegas after midnight when there is no traffic on the interstate. Your one of the lucky ones. LOL
I use Magellan GPS which warns me several miles in advance of when I am suppose to turn and what lane I need to be in. In fact it gives me very detailed turn by turn instruction through my whole 600 mile drive from Salt Lake to Lake Havasu. Without It I might never find my way out of Vegas!!!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
That's exit 164??? That sounds like a heck of good idea, since you have to go through Searchlight on the way to Lake Havasu anyway. Might try that. Thank You!!! ��
That is listed on the map as Highwau 164. It is exit 286 off from the 15 and it is named "Nipton Rd" on the highway signs. There is also a sign prior to the exit signs that say "Searchlight Next Right". It is a pretty drive going past all of the Joshua Trees along the road. Hope this helps!
Skip3370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
I will be heading to Lake Havasu City in early December. (Almost a month from now). I usually drive from Salt Lake City on the I-15 corridor south to Las Vegas I-515 and then onto US 95 where I make my way south to Lake Havasu City. I absolutely hate the traffic in Las Vegas. Almost had to run someone off the road last year because they absolutely would not let me in even though I had my turn signal on for the last several miles trying to get off I-515 and onto US 95. Fortunately no accident occurred and I am a very defensive driver and I have never had an accident in 26 years of driving. Don't want to start now. But I hate Las Vegas traffic because there is no respect for larger vehicles. Commuters are very unfriendly in Vegas. Now I will only drive through Vegas early in the morning or really late at night when there is almost no traffic on the freeways. Don't want to deal with that again. I was hoping someone here knew of a good alternate that would allow me to bypass Las Vegas completely. I am looking for any reasonable route that won't take me to far out of the way and easily get me back on US 95 south. Thanks in advance.
You know, it's kind of ironic that I'm now reading this thread/post. The reason is, we live in Lake Havasu and, just recently took a short, 7-day, trip to the eastern Sierras and stayed at Silver Lake in the June Lake loop. Well, on the way up, I chose the simple route. Havasu 95 to I-40. I-40 west to I-15. I-15 for about 3 miles and, over to Cal 58. 58 west to 395. Took that 395 all the way to the June lake loop.

Well, on the way back home today, I was seriously thinking about the route you're used to taking. The wife was unsure of taking such a desolate route, without having any pre-knowledge or, advice on what to expect. So, we left Silver lake this morning at 3:00 A.M. exactly and, pulled into our street at noon straight up. Using that route, it was 62-65 every inch of the way.

Now, does any of this help you, probably not but, it sure augments my thoughts about what I would have faced in the Vegas transition. I ABSOLUTELY HATE VEGAS! Been there several times. And, we too have fought with the traffic nightmares there. To me, Vegas is just like downtown L.A. (Los Angeles), but, that's just my opinion.

I have been through the Valley of Fire and, if I recall, it's a slow (Government regulated slow speed) type of situation like Yellowstone, Tetons and more. If you're not in any hurry, I suppose it's ok. I can't advise on your better route. But, I'd sprout wings and fly OVER Vegas if I could.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote